Generator

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Generator

Postby aqclean » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi anyone out there have any knowledge on the Harbor Freight Generator I keep seeing on sale for under $100.00. I know that honda has a nice quiet one, It would be more for a rest area pull over and brew my own coffee and that sort of thing, and using around the house once and a blue moon. thanks in advance
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Generator

Postby vreihen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:58 pm

It is a two-stroke engine (mix oil and gas), and under 1000 watts. Better check the label on your intended coffee maker, since it may max this generator out. A friend of mine picked one up for $82 on sale last fall, and was satisfied with it. He didn't think it was too noisy, but I haven't heard it run. If I recall correctly, there was a whole thread of comments on the HF web site about replacing the spark plug with a different manufacturer's plug before starting it up for the first time, but maybe I'm confusing it with another generator they sell. It certainly was as easy to throw around as a small
Honda generator, if nothing else.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm

We have something similar that we bought from Northern Tools.

We are not real keen on it. It's noisy, and it doesn't put out much wattage.

Unless you are in the wilderness, with no one around for miles, it's not the best option. And even then, it may not be the best option.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm

...to me, that little gennie is not much more than a toy...I like to use the coffee maker/hair dryer test for a gennie...if it won't run a hair dryer or coffee maker, which both run in the 1200-1500 watt range, I'd pass...the little gennie is question, besides being a 2 stroke(noisy/smokey) is not good for much more than charging a battery...but, it will do that very well(if noisily)...............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I got a Honda 1000 for $100 at a garage sale. A few dings but starts and runs fine. Also got a Coleman 1500 watt for $100 at another garage sale. Looked unused, starts and runs fine. The Honda is much quieter than the Coleman (according to the Guy Mazzeo SWAG hearing test). I think there are a lot of generators out there that have seen little actual useage and can be had very reasonably if you are patient and look around a bit.

Better to buy a quality (or semi quality) generator used (with parts availability) than a cheap disposable, IMHO.

Here is a possible "candidate" in your area:

http://providence.craigslist.org/for/2222748654.html

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

thanks

Postby aqclean » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am

Thank you for the replys. I will most likely wait and go with a little honda, I don;t want nothing really big and I not to good with 2 strokers, too messy.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions