Opinions Needed

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Opinions Needed

Postby lonerider » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Been looking at different trailers and now I'm so confused :o
Which is best? Flat roof, rounded roof ???
Which is best? Side vents, roof vents??
Any big advantage on single axle or tandem axles?
Flat front, v-nose ??
Got a loan from bank and ready to buy!! :twisted:
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm getting ready to order mine in a another week.

I'm opting for a one piece roof, rounded flat front with two roof vents. Going with a 7 x 12 with a single axle with brakes. The single axle is cheaper when towing on toll roads.

I had good luck in my Scotty(basically a 6 x 10) with the vents and it was small enough to have a single axle. It comes with a one piece roof and I just want to avoid roof problems down the road. But that's just me.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Opinions Needed

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm

lonerider wrote:Been looking at different trailers and now I'm so confused :o
Which is best? Flat roof, rounded roof ???
Which is best? Side vents, roof vents??
Any big advantage on single axle or tandem axles?
Flat front, v-nose ??
Got a loan from bank and ready to buy!! :twisted:

Let me put my experience in. Living in my 6x10 since last April I have had no fan in the vent but I did get one just during winter (good price) and today it was 70 and I did use it. I usually sit semi non direct sun. No insulation and no problems. I do have screen doors on back and side. But I live in the Pittsburgh area.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby vreihen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:45 pm

A V-nose supposedly helps with your fuel mileage, and also provides a little extra inside space albeit a funny shape.

As Barb pointed out, a one-piece roof is important. Besides the tolls, a tandem axle trailer also has two more tires to replace every few years. You'll have to do the math based on how much you're planning to haul.

My 24' Featherlite didn't come with *any* vents, and I'm in a dilemma about whether I should cut through the roof or just go with side vents. My thinking is that a roof vent has more of a chance of leaking, but heat rises inside so it would be most effective. Also, if you plan to use an RV-style air conditioner unit at any point, you'll need a roof vent to mount it in anyway so you might as well get one now and have the trailer wired/braced for AC.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:31 am

Just another opinion .... Around here it rains a lot .... So instead of cutting a hole in the one piece roof , why not put the vent (s) someplace like the back doors ... AC too ... Less chance for roof leaks ... JMHO...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby vreihen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:12 am

The back door would be the ideal location for vents and an AC unit, but unfortunately is not an option for those of us with ramp doors that are building toy haulers (or in my case my race car hauler) where we need to use the ramp. If I could use that wall, I'd have a tractor-trailer reefer unit hanging off the back of my trailer right now and be able to hang meat inside all summer! :lol:

When I bought the trailer, I originally picked up two of these style vents intending to put them on the side walls:

http://www.easternmarine.com/Aluminum-2-Way-Pop-Up-Roof-Vent-7-3/4-x-13-3/8-10-091-0/

When I held them up against the side of the trailer where I wanted to mount them, they just didn't look right and stuck out too far.

I am still thinking about the half moon vents:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trailer-Side-Wall-Air-Vent-1-2-Half-Moon-NEW-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200466475746QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The third option is sliding windows. In my case, whatever option that I choose must have fine mesh insect screens, since I live surrounded by woods/wetlands and there are days when I have to put on jungle-strength Deet just to walk out to the mailbox.

A mechanic friend and I have been toying with the idea of mounting a horizontal-shaft lawnmower engine and a car AC compressor on the tongue of the trailer to make a gasoline-powered aircon unit, with the refrigerant lines routed through the floor.

I almost wish that the factory had installed either roof or wall vents, so that I didn't have to make this decision because of all the available venting options. I'll probably wind up doing with the half moons for venting during storage, and windows for cross flow with the doors open when I'm using the trailer. I'd love a roof-mounted aircon unit as well, but having to cut a hole and brace the roof for it makes me hesitate to pull that trigger.

In any case, I hope this info is useful to the original poster, if for nothing else than to explain the available options.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby b.bodemer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 am

With selling my two trailers and going with a cargo trailer I'm having as much done as possible when ordering to get a head start. I'll add Maxxair covers to the roof vents(which worked great in my Scotty) and the two 15h x 30w slider windows will be nice for cross ventilation. At the back I'm also going to have a part material/part screen when I can open the rear doors on a nice day.

I'm adding a cargo door at the time of build and placing it higher. Inside the ac will sit on top of a cabinet with a slider. Again same as the Scotty set up by higher, not under the seating/bed area.

I like fresh air and light but really just want enough if stuck inside on a rainy day or two. Otherwise I'm outside enjoying myself.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Opinions Needed

Postby pete42 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 am

roof shape..................... what ever comes with the trailer you like
side vs roof vents............roof vents give you a lot more options, fan, AC
single vs tandem axels......small trailer single<10 feet big trailer tandem>10 feet
flat vs V nose..................V nose room for front counter,sink,stove
loan from bank??????........I'm 69 and I have been lucky I have never taken a loan on any of my toys. 6+ TT's, 3 boats sail and power, 3 airplanes, 5 motorcycles.
I did take out a loan on my house and couple of cars.
not trying to make anyone think I have money, I don't I just saved up before buying anything remember I'm 69 so things cost less back in the last century 1960,70's,80's,90's.
But do what you want to do just don't over extend,
get what you want and like
you are the final judge.
good luck on what ever you get and please post pictures.

ol' pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lonerider » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for replies!
I think my problem has been solved for me! A good friend of mine has a 3 year old 7x14 tandem with extra height he offered to me for $2500 ! It's a Cargo Craft with rounded 1 piece roof and roof vent and ramp back door. The side door only has the cam lock but that can be fixed.
It's a Special Edition "Texas Flag" painted trailer. I plan on using it not only to camp in but as a mobile Vending unit for my Custom Gunleather business.
Looks like this but bigger!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd13 ... railer.jpg
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

trailer type

Postby aqclean » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 am

Hi I went with a haulmark transport 6x12 plus v = 5.5 interior width and 13 end to end interior. with brakes.I thought the quality would be flawless, but as I started taking walls down ... you start to see things that I would shake my head at and move on.exp. V nose section spray in foam insulation inside the trailer, about a 1 inch gap between the inner wall and frame. If they would have sprayed from the outside in the would be no gap, If I did not take the walls down to insulate, I would have never seen this and on rainy days all that mist comming up from the tow vehicle would have been driven inside the two walls.(I know it's a cargo trailer)
There just little things but down the road that would have created a mess.
I am satisfied with this trailer,but like I said I still doing little things wrapping lighting wires in loom and ... I ordered mine thru trailer direct, so I did not see it until it was built, It came only with what I wanted and no more,
If you get a chance to look at them closely before buying.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lonerider » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Well.the bank doesn't consider a Cargo Trailer as collateral and won't finance one :x They offered if I wanted to buy a new car/truck they would do that up to $30,000 :thinking: Nope, got a good truck I need a trailer :cry: :cry: :cry:

Plan B :roll:
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vreihen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

lonerider wrote:Well.the bank doesn't consider a Cargo Trailer as collateral and won't finance one :x

Find another bank, or ask the dealership what financing offers they have available. When I bought my Featherlite car hauler, I had to finance a portion of the cost. The dealer had an arrangement with a small local bank that wrote a 36-month loan for 4.9%. In New York state, all trailers over 999 pounds are titled and banks can put liens on them just like any other financed vehicle. Long story short, the dealership's finance rate through their local bank was better than I could get on a new car loan with my own credit union, so don't dismiss them thinking they will nail you for 18% without asking.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Would good friend take payments?

but sometimes money between friends make them less friends
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lonerider » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am

pete42 wrote:Would good friend take payments?

but sometimes money between friends make them less friends

NO !! I wouldn't ask him to!!
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 am

Lonerider are you a member of SASS ? I am not a member but I have been reading the cowboy Chronicle and it looks like fun.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions