chargeing batteries

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

chargeing batteries

Postby jwhite » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I take mine outside to charge but it is getting old lugging them in and out and wonder if you can charge them inside the trailer in a battery box?
I know they sell battery boxes but not sure if they are made to charge the batteries in them?
I notice alot of people carry there batteries on the tounge of the trailer is this so you can charge them outside?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: chargeing batteries

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 pm

jwhite wrote:Iwonder if you can charge them inside the trailer in a battery box?

Charging inside the battery box by it self is not a problem. But you need proper venting for the hydrogen gas that is created while a battery is recharged. Hydrogen, confined space and a spark will give you a big bang and could really ruin your day and or life.

Your car battery gets charged every day without a problem, because it is out in the open and any possible hydrogen gas gets carried away before it reaches dangerous levels of concentration.

Just make sure the battery storage area is well vented during the charging process. My battery is mounted under the back end of my trailer and is completely out in the open.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby pete42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:33 am

like wolfgang said it battery box is vented they sell vented battery boxes just do a google.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

Definitely don't recharge them inside unless, 1. You can open up the doors/windows and leave them open during charging, and 2. You can keep them opened up after you finish charging for a few hours. As was said, you don't want the gasses trapped inside. Also, be sure the area around the batteries/boxes is clean because sometimes corrosive moisture will collect around a battery during charging.

I'd either keep removing to charge, or move them to the tongue, outside. :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Every VW Beetle ever made had the battery inside the passenger compartment under the rear seat. Having put 200K on the the couple I owned the only problem I ever had was when the voltage regulator failed and was overcharging the battery. Then I got sulfuric acid fumes that made me less than wonderfully happy.

Cheers,

Gus
Last edited by eamarquardt on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

eamarquardt wrote:Every VW Beetle ever made had the battery inside the passenger compartment under the rear seat. Having put 200K on the the couple I owned the only problem I ever had was when the voltage regulator failed and was overcharging the battery. Then I got sulpheric acid fumes that made me less than wonderfully happy.

Cheers,

Gus

mine too had the battery inside
it also had a lever under the dash that ran into the gas tank when the lever was turned down it would dump a small amount of gas from a "cup" inside the tank for those times when you tried to go that extra mile and ran out of gas. you know I never saw any "cup" I was told that is what was used, I do know if you didn't turn it up when filling the tank you had no reserve but On my motorcycle the gas petcock had a normal and a reserve setting when on reserve the pickup tube was shorter than the one in the normal position. v-dubs may have been built that way too.

the A-Liner trailer has their batteries inside a vented compartment inside the trailer.

A good vent would make for sound sleeping
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Depends on the type of battery as well. An AGM battery is recombinent so does not vet hydrogen or so little as to be neglagable. Bst bet do your home work and learn about deepcycle batteries http://www.batteryfaq.org and check sdtrippers index at the top of the page.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Crazylegs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a vented box if someone wants to pay the shipping.Image
It also has a vent on the bottom. I mounted mine on the tung.
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 am

Being an Old Timer , we always liked to have the battery in a wooden box ... I can't think why , just something we were told to do by another Old Timer many many years ago .... worked great so far ... the box gets nasty , toss it ... Newer technology batteries may not need this ...

I bought one of those cheap solar panel kits from HF (on sale ) to charge batteries ... It works .... if it's sunny ... and even a bit on cloudy days ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions