Hello everyone and a few questions please )

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Hello everyone and a few questions please )

Postby tdog2005 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi I am Trevor and i from Alberta Canada. I am glad i found this site there is lots of information and ideas on here.

Anyways i just ordered a 6 x 12 V nose cargo trailer with electric brakes, i should have it in the next few weeks. I will be using it to haul my Polaris Ranger and to camp in.
Since it was coming from factory i added insulation, extra interior lights, rv style door, porch lights and two roof vents. My plans are too have a mini electric fridge and sink in there and just cabinets for storage up front.
For my water i will install a mini water water heater, they hold like 2gallons.

I have also ordered the WF-8725 converter and i have a question regarding the DC side of things. I believe the coach battery should be hooked up to the trailer junction box with a battery isolater between it that is rated for my alternator amp output, is this correct? Also does the WF8725 converter hook up directly to the junction box ? if so does anything need to be between it and the converter?

Once i get my trailer i will be posting pictures of my build as i work through it, thanks ahead of time for help on my question above.
tdog2005
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 am

What is your tow vehicle? If your truck or Suv was prewired from the factory with a 7 way plug chances are once the key is off the charge wire is discounted from the trailer. This keeps the trailer from drawing power from your truck while parked.

Not sure I understand what you mean about the Converter connecting to a junction box. The trailer battery connects to the converter. In most cases the converter serves has a fuse box,breaker box and distribution panel.. So you shouldn't really need any other junction box.. You might want a fuse panel if the converter doesn't have enough 12v fuse slots for you.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby tdog2005 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 pm

With regards to the junction box I was referring to the one that comes with the cargo trailer where my lights and brakes hook up too, from what I read I should hook the battery to it so that it can get charged from the tow vehicle, now with regards to the converter i guess I just wire directly to the battery, should there be anything between the battery and converter? Cut off switch, fuses ?
tdog2005
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:10 pm

A good site to learn about different things concering 12 volt systems is called the 12 volt side of life http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

It has loads of info.

most trailers are hooked this way:
7-pin Receptacle on tow{ running lites, brake lites, brakes, battery charge line}
7-pin plug on trailer [running lites, brake lites, brakes, battery ]
trailer battery { to convertor 12 volt panel}
cutoff switch in ground wire between battery and convertor/panel
12 volt/120 volt converter/ battery charger panel on trailer
panel has built in battery charger that will charge trailer battery when trailer is pluged into 120 volts at the house or campground.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Ok I understand what your saying.. Correct, You open the factory junction box and connect your deep cycle battery to the wire thats connected to the small battery in the box.. I would go ahead and remove the small battery since you don't need it. Besides if/when it goes bad it could cause you problems with your deep cycle cause it will pull it down..

Yes the battery connects directly to the converter.. The converter should have a specific spot for the battery connection. Your going to want a fuse right by the battery. I used a 12v circuit breaker I picked up from an auto parts store.. It works like a fuse and a cut off. Has a little button you push to trip the breaker which disconnects the battery from the converter/trailer. Its handy for while your working on the trailer wiring cause you can easily cut the battery off. Really though once the trailer is built you probably won't ever need to disconnect the battery since the converter works a battery tender when the trailer is not in use..
8ball_99
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions