paneling the ceiling?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

paneling the ceiling?

Postby B@tt » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 pm

So I have insulated the ceiling of my CT w/ 1" rigid foam, carefully cutting relief cuts in the back so it would fit the raidius corner between the ceiling and wall.

What would you suggest as a paneling to go over the insulation? Keep in mind I would like to be able to bend it through the same raidius, or at least as close to it as possible.

Any thoughts? All inputs appreciated.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby B@tt » Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Wow! 52 views and No-One has an opinion or idea to share? :(

Has anyone found a source for 4'x8' sheets of PVC paneling? Seems that might do the trick.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Boodro » Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm

B@tt , you could use FRP panels from Lowes or Home depot. I used it on my TD & loved it. It bends & cuts great. Or you could go for the wood look & use 1/8 inch luan or birch plywood. Finish it with several coats of varnish looks good. Good luck!
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

ceiling paneling

Postby capt4903 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:26 am

i used 1/4" plywood flooring underlayment purchased from Lowes....$10.00 a sheet......it has clear grain with no knots screwed over 3/4" foam in ceiling.......
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Some have used luan plywood others beadboard looking paneling. they didn't bend the wood around the corner like you want I say one he had notched some crown molding looked like a backwards "h"fixed it to the top and side and used wood set on a angle like this "/" looked good my explanation doesn't do it justice.
please tell us what you decide to do
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby B@tt » Sat May 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Havent completely decided yet, but Im leaning towards 1/8" birch.

I have also thought a natural sealed light wood bead board would look real cool too.

Looks that will be a project for next month though. Hopefully the insulation panels stay in place on the way to our Memorial Day excursion.

:D
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Ceiling For CT

Postby pigcooker » Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 pm

B@tt, I too am building a CT. I plan on using Coroplast, it is corrugated plastic sheets. Like cardboard, made of plastic, like some signs are made of. Google it. You may find a local dealer. It comes in 4x8 sheets.... however... it has to be truck shipped, 2x3 sheets are about $ 4.50 per and can be shipped UPS. Check it out. Doug
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Ceiling For CT

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun May 15, 2011 4:15 pm

pigcooker wrote:B@tt, I too am building a CT. I plan on using Coroplast, it is corrugated plastic sheets. Like cardboard, made of plastic, like some signs are made of. Google it. You may find a local dealer. It comes in 4x8 sheets.... however... it has to be truck shipped, 2x3 sheets are about $ 4.50 per and can be shipped UPS. Check it out. Doug

Be sure to get paint and glue specific to coroplast. Most conventional glues and paints won't bond properly to it.

Also be sure you want the "corrugated" appearance. I've made several boxes and bike accessories from coroplast but wouldn't want that appearance as my trailer interior.

My $0.02 worth.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions