Drop out tent style bunk bed?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Drop out tent style bunk bed?

Postby vtx1029 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a kit like this to put in my trailer? Most trailer mfg want me to buy a new trailer to get it. I'm guessing it must be a kit someone is selling, I've searched high and low and came up with nothing.

vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby B@tt » Sat May 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I contemplated that same thing. Mirage Trailers in Idaho was willing to sell me the set up, but it wasnt cheap. Give them a call, they may be able to help you find someone close to your area or even hook you up with a supplier.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 8ball_99 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Its kinda of a neat idea to get some extra space. But honestly I'd pass on it.. Have you ever owned a pop up? They aren't much better then a tent.. If you ever camp in a camp ground you can hear EVERYthing. Its really like sleeping in a tent. The canvas is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.. Dust and sand can play havoc with the zippers. On top of that if it rains you have to open it up once you get home to let the canvas dry or it will be mold city.. Even morning dew can cause issues if you pack up early..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby vtx1029 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 pm

B@tt wrote:I contemplated that same thing. Mirage Trailers in Idaho was willing to sell me the set up, but it wasnt cheap. Give them a call, they may be able to help you find someone close to your area or even hook you up with a supplier.

:thumbsup: Found it here from them... http://parts.mirageinc.com/products/325-fold-out-tent-kit.aspx Doesn't look like it includes a mattress and the cover looks much cheaper then the other ones I've seen.

I really want to see if any supports are needed to be welded in and such. Hoping to find it for close to $1000

If any one else has a lead shoot em up for me :D We really wanted to buy a trailer with one installed but ended up finding that trailer prices are skyrocketing right now. One trailer went up $2000 in a month :shock: So we pulled the trailer on a in stock model. Not exactly what we wanted but it fits our needs and is darn nice.

8ball_99 wrote:Its kinda of a neat idea to get some extra space. But honestly I'd pass on it.. Have you ever owned a pop up? They aren't much better then a tent.. If you ever camp in a camp ground you can hear EVERYthing. Its really like sleeping in a tent. The canvas is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.. Dust and sand can play havoc with the zippers. On top of that if it rains you have to open it up once you get home to let the canvas dry or it will be mold city.. Even morning dew can cause issues if you pack up early..

Never owned one personally but stayed in them enough to know what were getting into. When your trying to sleep 6-8 people along with hauling 3-4 motorcycles and everyone's gear ya need to get creative... From the one we check out we were pleased even though its way overpriced...
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:28 am

Understand. We ended up getting a bigger trailer for the same reasons.
By the looks of it you will need to cut atleast 3-4 studs out for the bed. I would weld a frame in to support the cut studs. Thats really not that bad on most trailers as long as you don't have one with screws holding the skin on... Easiest way is to remove the screws on the outside from the studs and stick a piece of plywood behind them when you cut them out that way you can cut the stud below where you cut the skin. That gives you room to weld your frame in around the hole.. Once you get the frame in just cut the skin out to match it.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby MonroeBobo » Sun May 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi. I am new to posting but have been reading the forums almost daily for the last few months. I am also very interested in the fold out bed Idea. It would add extra sleeping capacity and leave all the floor area for an ATV or two. While staying on a site without electricity, all the windows around the bed does a lot for keeping you cool at night. All the extra floor space is what I like about the idea and it only will add a couple hundred pounds. By the way we owned a popup for ten years. Sleeping was never really an issue for us. What we didnt like about the popup was the setup time, lack of storage, and the access while down. We now own a 6x12x6 V-nose. I have not done any mods to it at all but will in the future. While I would love to have at least one of the fold out beds, $1300 is kind of more than I would like to pay. the only other idea I have is to look for a RV salvage yard. I have one about 70 miles from my home. Before I begin my conversion, I plan to contact them . If I find any other options I will let you know. The place you posted is the only option I have found. Good luck on your search and if I find anything I will keep you posted.

Monroe
MonroeBobo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions