electric or hand pump sink ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

electric or hand pump sink ideas

Postby weeeee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:10 pm

I was thinking about how I could add a simple sink to my Cargo trailer. Something like a small bathroom cabinet with a stainless sink and some sort of RV hand pump or electric pump.

I would like to have the fresh and grey water stored in the cabinet.

Has anyone done anything like this or have some pointers? I am totally new to the RV world so I really don't know much of what is out there and available.
weeeee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Going to have a cabinet up above? Use gravity! .44 psi per vertical foot.

We are doing that right now. Going to use one of the blue water jugs with a hose running down into a normal faucet. No electricity needed or pump seals to go bad. :thumbsup:
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:24 pm

use gravity as mentioned above. You can buy a hand pump but after having one of these I think they are useless. I use a windshield wiper pump that sucks water out of a blue water container and then drains it through the sink into another blue container. One container has in big letters grey andd the other clean so we never mix them up. I use one of the old horn buttons that I push with my knee to activate the pump. In my vw I used to use my foot to activate it. Having said all that if I had to do it all again I would eliminate the sink as we almost never use it opting instead to wash dishes in a recycle bin and just tilting the blu water jug on its side.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

some use stainless steel bowls they get at one of the box stores.

they add a drain to the bottom after drilling a hole.

hand pumps have worked for me in a lot of trailers over the years.

a 5 gallon 40 pound water jug in a cabinet above the sink would be I believe a lot of weight bumping around going down the road. but that's me.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm

You can buy an RV water pump for around 60 bucks.. They have a pressure switch so they cut off and on anytime the faucet is used.. If you go this route you can always add more plumbing later for an outdoor sink or shower. They are pretty dern simple.. 2 wires and a water in and water out...
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Crazylegs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Installed water tank. I ordered it from Plastic tank mart.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/?gclid=CLGP ... gwodEh1eyQ

They were good to work with. I was excited because i could custom order the size to fit between the frame rails under my trailer but low profile so i wont drag it off.

The pump is turned on by the switch. I like it. The sink is a stainless steel bowl from from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Re: electric or hand pump sink ideas

Postby d30gaijin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

weeeee wrote:I was thinking about how I could add a simple sink to my Cargo trailer. Something like a small bathroom cabinet with a stainless sink and some sort of RV hand pump or electric pump.

I would like to have the fresh and grey water stored in the cabinet.

Has anyone done anything like this or have some pointers? I am totally new to the RV world so I really don't know much of what is out there and available.

Here's what I did for simple sink/drain setup for our CT (fresh and gray water tanks sit side by side below the sink). The sink cost $16 from an online RV supplier. It is made of plastic. The hand pump faucet also came from an online RV supplier for about $30, but you can also get them from Camping World, if I recall correctly. The 5 gallon fresh water tank was bought from a local sporting goods/camping store for about $5. The gray water tank is a square 5 gallon bucket, such as chain is supplied in at Lowes (I asked the the local Lowes if I could have one of their empty chain buckets and they gave it to me at no cost).

The setup works well for us. I glued Velcro to the bottom of the 5 gallon fresh water tank and to the floor of the CT. The Velcro holds the full of water five gallon fresh water tank in place while traveling (and we've been over some rough roads with our CT and a full five gallons of fresh water in the tank and it has not broke loose from the Velcro so far). The gray water bucket gets emptied before travel. I may eventually go to a 12v powered Shurflo pump since I found one at a very good price. Be that as it may, the hand pump works fine.

In the second pic what you see hanging down as the sink's drain pipe into the gray water bucket/tank is a compressible/flexible (accordion type) drain pipe extension I bought at Home Depot. It extends up or down and flexes side to side so I can get the gray water bucket out without having to tilt or tip the bucket and run the chance of spilling gray water inside the CT (you'll want the sink drain pipe to extend well into the bucket so as not to splash gray water inside your CT if you drain a full sink into an empty open top bucket).

Total investment was about $55, with the pump faucet being the most expensive part of the package:
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dant » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 am

I have a sink that drains into a removable bucket in the cabinet. I pour the grey water into another bucket when I have serious business to conduct.

Tho' you can get a simple electric pump, I liked the Whale mk 3 foot pump I have in my sailboat. Both hands are free and the thing can pump 15 ltrs/minute, about 4 US gallons

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/1/13/
Dant
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pic Shooter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I wanted a sink in my trailer . Becauce I use it for camping and work I wanted it self contained and easily removeable. I just got a small bathroom vanity from Home Depot. I use a Reliance 6 gal water tank for fresh water and a 7 gal tank for gray water. I just use a hand pump, Works fine and by undoing 2 wing nuts I can take it out in 2 minutes.

I could post some pics, but I have no idea how to do it here.
Pic Shooter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am

Pic Shooter wrote:

I could post some pics, but I have no idea how to do it here.

follow this link:

http://www.mikenchell.com/pichelp.html

my experience also
First I had to use a thumbnail program on my windows machine to reduce my 1 mb pictures to about 50 kb, 680 x 652. then I had to copy pictures to to a special Mac folder.

Once there I had to upload them one at a time to my personal picture folder on this form, then you have to copy - paste their link into this post & finally I had to press the image button above to insert the picture.

Its easy once you get the hang of it !!

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

:thumbsup:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:21 pm

I went with a small HD vanity also, added a plastic rv sink and a hand pump. I'm using two 3 gallon containers under the vanity, one for grey and one for fresh. Should be fine for the first year of camping. I can always upgrade to a12v pump and add tanks if desired.

You can see a picture of the vanity, sink and hand pump here:
http://cttraveltrailer.blogspot.com/201 ... -good.html

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions