6x12 CTC log cabin.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 CTC log cabin.

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

When I'm not hauling the camper I can take the bike rack off and put it on the Explorer and still pull a boat of my other trailer.
This is the bike rack I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Standard-4-Bike-Towing-receiver/dp/B00009YUK5/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1363280198&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Swagman+4-bike+Towing+Bike+Rack+2-inch
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby M C Toyer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm

I had not seen one of those before. That's great and makes lot of sense to have a dual purpose bike rack with only having to pull a single pin to change from trailer to tow vehicle and still be able to pull a trailer if you want to. If not I guess it might discourage anyone from getting to close to your bike.

I had looked at one of the dual receivers with the tubes stacked but they are heavy, cumberson, the hitch height can't be adjusted or dropped, AND it looks like you have to remove the bike and back rack just to hitch and unhitch the trailer.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Wolfscout, Howdy;

How does that bike rack effect your ability to turn and back-up ???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

I got one of those double hitches. It's OK for bike rack and a cargo carrier or maybe my boat trailer. I just don't like the idea of it when pulling my camper with it. The camper isn't a very light one and I like not worrying about my weight so much.

I don't think it will interfere at all with backing up. I've done some pulling around my place. I am going to have to make sure they are as far back against the rack upright as I can... perhaps a bungee. Probably can't make any really sharp turns with bikes on the rack. But I don't usually have to do that anyways where I usually go.
After my loading the bikes yesterday and pulling around the yard I think my next trip next week will really put it to the test.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Re: 6x12 CTC.

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:50 am

I've not posted in a while on my build thread. I've taken several trips since then and everything is still working out well.
I have recently obtained a 2500 power inverter NIB that I'm going to get another marine battery and a solar powered charger of some sort for camping away from sites (or en-route to them). Not wanting the type that can be mounted to the top because I carry things up there often. So I'll be needing something that is stood up on the ground and moved to suit the sun.
Another project that's in the thinking stage is wanting to "lift my CTC". I want to mount the springs above the axle instead of below them as it is now. Just need a bit more height on some places we've been going to lately.
Other than that I"m pretty happy.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby roadinspector » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Glad to hear your CT has worked out for you. :beer: Some changes are expected, at least for me, I am never thru with anything.
Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Yep. :thinking: I'm really debating on updating from the emergency portapotty to a camper model with towable gray water tanks. I really don't want to have any plumbing inside though. ... so it's not looking good for a project over the winter.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Wolfscout wrote:Yep. :thinking: I'm really debating on updating from the emergency portapotty to a camper model with towable gray water tanks. I really don't want to have any plumbing inside though. ... so it's not looking good for a project over the winter.

Wolfscout

I built a wood box, use peidmoss as cover material & a home depot bucket with a lid, also installed a 3" blower fan inside the box - with a 12 volt switch.
That blows under the trailer ..... So there is ZERO smell using the poty :lol: :lol:
You even get a nice cool breeze
Some have even made a urin separator & used a larger tub vs a bucket inside the box.
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby roadinspector » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Wolfscout,
We used a towable tank for black and grey water when we didn't want to break camp just to empty the tanks in our TT. It definitely is an option. I have thought about doing that for my grey water. I am using a 5 gal bucket for now. I just water the trees at night with it when the park rangers are in bed.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 am

Earnest

I have always heard that the wheels are pretty crappie and fall off ?
After you make 5-10 short dump runs.
What brand do you have and how long have you dragged it around ?
Like does it have 5 miles on it !
Or lets say 200 dump runs ?

Thanks Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:46 am

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Wolfscout

I built a wood box, use peidmoss as cover material & a home depot bucket with a lid, also installed a 3" blower fan inside the box - with a 12 volt switch.
That blows under the trailer ..... So there is ZERO smell using the poty :lol: :lol:
You even get a nice cool breeze
Some have even made a urin separator & used a larger tub vs a bucket inside the box.

I went one further than that back when I first started on the camper and installed a mobile home/kitchen type fan on the wall. It's a 110v but it really pulls the air in the two windows that I have and keeps the trailer well ventilated when it's not too hot. dual purposes are nice.

@ roadinspector That's what I started with before I bought the portapotty. LOL
Yep I need more info on the towable tanks too.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 am

We took an overnight short trip recently that has the wife still talking............
She thinks we should upgrade to a larger, longer trailer. Perhaps something in the 7x20 range.
I told her that is fine by me but I"m going to keep the one we have and redo it for my solo outings over night stays when I go fishing and such.
She wants a larger CTC for storage and adding in a shower and RV style toilet.
So I reckon I already have a 2014 project coming up... Ha!
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Re: 6x12 CTC.

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:03 am

Wolfscout wrote:I have recently obtained a 2500 power inverter NIB that I'm going to get another marine battery and a solar powered charger of some sort for camping away from sites (or en-route to them). Not wanting the type that can be mounted to the top because I carry things up there often. So I'll be needing something that is stood up on the ground and moved to suit the sun.

Larry, I do just that, carry a small solar panel inside, and set it up when I get to camp. I can move it to fit the best sun angle. I usually just set it on the ground, leaned up against the side of the trailer. I set it on top if there's no wind and high sun. It sets up in under a minute using alligator clips to connect to my 12-volt battery on the tongue. I only have a small 30 watt panel, but I haven't gone dead yet. I only draw from the 12 volt though, no inverter or high powered stuff. Mine was $100, but they have larger ones too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FOGL0K/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00

Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm

I like your simplicity concept and when I for sure hook up a solar panel I will probably follow this lead and have it set up each time I would set up camp. But boy do I have a lot to learn about solar power and will be rereading all the good posts here on it and other internet research.

One question I do have is: how do you discourage or prevent thief? With a hook up like this, it would be so easy for someone to walk by and walk away with it. I am referring to those times when you are away from your rig and cannot rely on S&W to help.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:11 pm

I guess I'm too trusting. Where I camp are mostly other outdoorsmen and fly fishermen. Now that doesn't make them all honest, and there are others that pass by, so I guess I'm just trusting and lucky. Or maybe stupid. :( But most outdoor people aren't thieves. Maybe that's an unfair stereotype, but I'll trust a fellow camper, or hunter, or fisherman way more than some city-slicker who wouldn't know a campfire if it sparked in his face. I don't leave my panel out, or my trailer unlocked, in a Wal-Mart parking lot, or an urban KOA while taking a shower, or at a shopping center stocking up on supplies, or busy gas stations, or even highway rest areas.

I look at it as the chance I take with everything, like the propane tank, battery, my outside water jugs, and even the trailer itself. I put a padlock through the hole on the hitch, but a real criminal could probably cut it in seconds. My belongings inside could be stolen by any good thief by just cutting the padlock on the rv door latch, prying it open, or unscrewing the whole assembly. As a rule, I don't think CT's are too secure from real scum. In the case of the solar panel, I can see where a so-called "honest thief" might be tempted to just seize the opportunity since its so easy to take and run\. ("Honest thief", that one always cracks me up. :lol: ) But so far, so good.

I'm not really sure how to keep the solar panel more secure, but if some poor bastard wants to take the chance for a $100 panel, so be it. For that money, its not really worth me worrying about it too much. Now, if I stayed in dense, populated developed campgrounds with lots of "weekend warriors" coming and going, or some crazy place like Alligator Alley in Florida (crime-ridden), I'd be worried. In my hangouts though, most of the time there's people going around asking if I know anybody who lost their net, or fly box, or left a fly rod sitting somewhere. :thumbsup: And we watch each others' stuff too, and know who's supposed to be there, and who isn't. I just trust my fellow fishermen, and hope the scumbags leave me alone.

I believe another reason there's not a whole lot of thieves in most of the areas I go is that nearly everyone in this neck of the woods is packing. Any thief caught stealing near anyplace I camp will likely not ever have their day in court, at least not with all his/her appendages attached. :shock:

The only things I've had stolen in my life were from a vehicle parked in downtown Seattle, and downtown Denver. I don't park in downtown Anywhere anymore unless its unavoidable, and then there's not one item left inside the truck for the gangster bastards.

Well, that got me going! :lol: I hate thieves! :x But I still take my chances I guess. We all do. :thinking:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions