Continued toy hauler build.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Continued toy hauler build.

Postby glwt06 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:40 pm

I thought I would update with a few of pictures.

After reading a few threads here on trailer security and talking with local police officers, I decided to add a few decals to the trailer. I was told from officers that they take plenty of reports of tool trailers being broken into, but very few campers. I thought it might help and it was kinda fun. I found a set from Ebay.

My folding bed is almost complete. I found a foam pad and cut it to size. It's really comfortable. I need to put on the latches to hold it when it's folded up. Still plenty of room for my motorcycle. The pad on the floor in front of the bed is covering the wheel chock mount.

I would like to still insulate the ceiling and install an air conditioning unit, either portable or a roof unit. I don't think a window A/C would work out very well. I would also like to add a little paint, but I'm undecided on a color. I also need to permanently install a spare tire mount.

My wife and I have used the trailer several times this season and it's working out great. The circuit box under the cabinet and GFI plugs are working perfect. We carry a small ceramic heater that is more than enough.

A little bit more and I'll be done. It's been a lot of fun to start with just a plain box with just the door.

Our next trip is to North Carolina next month for a bike meet. We're really looking froward to it.

Paul
glwt06
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:38 am

very nice functional conversion.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby d30gaijin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Paul,

A very nice setup that looks great for functionality for your needs. :applause:

Did you do the cabinetry work yourself? I ask because I am trying to decide on cabinets for my CT conversion and am looking at various options (my woodworking skills are lacking but I am getting better).

Please keep us posted on your build.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby glwt06 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 am

Thank you for the comments, guys. I appreciate your response.

Don, I did build the cabinets myself. But, my skills are not the greatest either, so they are pretty simply put together. They are very sturdy, but over built and probably 4 times heavier than they need to be. I have really added a lot of weight up front that I need to balance out. Will see, stuff may change a little as time goes on.

I did just see a post in this section for a really cool metal frame folding bed I might look into. Also, I'm going to research mounting the spare tire low on the back ramp or on the right side back corner.

Thanks again,

Paul
glwt06
Teardrop Inspector

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm

glwt06 wrote:Thank you for the comments, guys. I appreciate your response.

Don, I did build the cabinets myself. But, my skills are not the greatest either, so they are pretty simply put together. They are very sturdy, but over built and probably 4 times heavier than they need to be. I have really added a lot of weight up front that I need to balance out. Will see, stuff may change a little as time goes on.

I did just see a post in this section for a really cool metal frame folding bed I might look into. Also, I'm going to research mounting the spare tire low on the back ramp or on the right side back corner.

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul,

Any more progress on your build to post? I'm really interested in how it is going for you. Progress on my 6x10 CT has been non-existant so far this year but I am hoping to get back to it within the next month.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby glwt06 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Don,

Actually, all I have managed to do is break it. We have used it a few times this month for overnights. I used spring loaded clips and eye bolts screwed into the wall studs to hold the bed in it's upright position. The last time we went out was camping for a drive-in movie theater. Driving it around off road must have jarred it enough that it pulled two of the three clips out. I will have to come up with another system.

Also, one of the rear tail / brake / blinker lights started to fail. It took awhile to find a replacement (15 diode Tru Brites)

I have this coming weekend off and I want to do a few things.

Fix the bed and rear light.
Tint the windows (May have flashed other campers / sorry)
Insulate and finish the ceiling.
Pick up some interior colors and put down some paint.

Ultimately I would like to install and portable air conditioner and a DVD capable flat screen TV. I think these are next years projects.

When I fix the bed and finish the ceiling, I will post pictures.

Thanks,

Paul
glwt06
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions