Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Hank

Merry Christmas.

The Jack antenna is wonderful. What you see is what you get, it does not extend any longer or higher, but it does swivel around.
I looked around, and didn't find a lot of options for a good powered HD antenna.
You turn the crank inside until you get all 5 little LED lights to glow, that's telling you you are pointed in the right direction. It's a signal strength indicator.
The antenna does have a power boost, so you need 12 volts to run it.
I think I can get 40 channels off that antenna, both HD and standard channels.

It requires about a 2" hole to mount on the roof. I was not thinking far enough ahead when I insulated my ceiling to put a solid block to mount to. I should have sandwiched a 1" thick board in-between the roof and inside ceiling for a sturdy mount. So I was forced to mount a plate on the roof for strength. I distributed the load across 2 roof trusses.

Here is the inside controls (see the green lights. You shoot for all lit = best reception)

I made a template of the antenna base, Measure 10 times cut once = fit perfectly

The directions called for the actual antenna wire to go outside of the white plastic base, (you can see a little notch, that I filled with silicone) so the wire would have been exposed. With a little figuring, I was able to run through the roof under the base and come out right beside the inside mounting plate. I think this is a much superior mounting idea. Why would you want a loop of antenna wire exposed on your roof????

Gadget Man :beer:
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Gadget Man, Howdy;

Thanks for the full load of info. Everything there except the spec. sheet... :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours...

Again, many thanks.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 225 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:29 am

I really like your design for the bed. Great idea. However, you found a great deal on those beds. I can't find beds like that for the life of me.

I might go with a similar design, but a full Murphy bed. A queen sized bed is 60"x80". And usually 8"-10" tall. If I were to fold the entire bed up, I would need about 12" for the Murphy bed hinge. Which would still give me plenty of room to work with.

I really like this design. But instead of it hinging on the headboard, I would make a hinge long ways.

And I could build this easily. What do you think?

James
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Gadget Man,

I really like my 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure. It is my favorite for solo travel. So, no I don't do much 2-up on it or any of my bikes. My wife prefers her own bike & is only into short day rides.

You'll enjoy the new WeeStrom. The upgrades Suzuki made on the 2012 forward really made a great bike better.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Kankujoe
I read more about the Wee everyday, I'm totally sold on the bike. I think it's exactly what I want "this time" :lol:

Not that I don't like my BMW or the Road Star, but one is too small and one is too big. Even though my BMW is a 650 just like the Strom. It's a different bike. And for the Road Star weighing in at 850 pounds...do I need to say more :?

I'm going to sell both and get a Wee. I may not buy new, there are a lot of low mileage fully loaded bikes for sale out there.
I'd rather go that way. I've owned over 20 bikes in the past 30 years and only 4 were brand new.

I'll keep you posted.

But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Gadget Man wrote:Kankujoe
I read more about the Wee everyday, I'm totally sold on the bike. I think it's exactly what I want "this time" :lol:

Not that I don't like my BMW or the Road Star, but one is too small and one is too big. Even though my BMW is a 650 just like the Strom. It's a different bike. And for the Road Star weighing in at 850 pounds...do I need to say more :?

I'm going to sell both and get a Wee. I may not buy new, there are a lot of low mileage fully loaded bikes for sale out there.
I'd rather go that way. I've owned over 20 bikes in the past 30 years and only 4 were brand new.

I'll keep you posted.

Gadget Man,

Congratulations of your new V-strom 650 ADV!!! I read about it over on Stromtroopers. Your gonna love your new ride. Post a photo of it tied down in your Adventure Trailer!

KJ (KankuJoe)
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gadget Man » Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am

KJ

Wow, good news travels fast.
Yes, I sold my two other bikes in one weekend on Craigslist. maybe I should have asked more...But I sold the Road Star for $1500. more than I would have gotten on a trade, Plus I now know it went to great new home. The guy who bought my BMW was already planning a trip to Moab Utah to go ride Aches National Park. He said they were out there last year and since they only had off-road dirt bikes they weren't allowed to ride in the park. Now with my street legal BMW, they are going back.

I originally started looking at a hold-over 2012 Adventure, but was too slow and it sold, so I pulled the trigger on a 2013. So far I only have 150 miles on it and just love it. It is so much smoother that the BMW with my on/off road tires.
I have already started the farckle process with a center stand, hand guards, fork brace, mirror extensions and a 12 volt outlet.

I'll have to check out how it fits in the Adventure Trailer and post some pictures.
Did you install the fork brace on your 2012 ?

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby kkayv » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am

Nice looking trailer man! I wish I had your carpentry skills!!! :D
kkayv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gadget Man » Fri May 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Kkayv

Thanks for the nice complements.
Building cabinets really isn't that hard if you have a few good tools. You are basically just building wooden boxes and putting a nice oak frame around the front. All my cabinets are made of 3/4 inch oak plywood with a 1x2 oak face-frame. I did buy the pre-made cabinet doors and built the size to match the doors.

The nice thing about custom cabinets is that you can measure and build in supports to line up exactly with your roof or wall studs to match up with where you are hanging them. If you look back at the two rear high mounted cabinets I built, there are wooden strips built in to match where I had to screw into the wall and ceiling studs. They are solid as a rock. Plus I was able to custom built / size them to hold two full faced helmets.

Also check out the posts where I show the Kreg Pocket Screw tool, that thing is a miracle tool for attaching the front face trim, all the screws are in from the back for a super clean look. But it's not really needed, you could just glue and face-nail them on. be careful and wipe up all the glue that oozes out of the seams. Wood stain will not cover over spilled glue.

Good Luck, give it a try, its not that hard.
Go make some saw-dust.

But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Gadget Mans Trailer for Sale

Postby Gadget Man » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, there comes a time in every young mans life when he has to make hard decisions. :cry:
Well I'm at that spot right now. I'd like to do another Conversion build :twisted: but that would meen have to sell Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer. :x I can't have two trailers.
Check out all the pictures and let me know what a fair price would be. I have a number in my mind, but I'd like to hear from others what a fair selling price would be before I get serious.
If anyone is interested, send me a PM

But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm willing to bring my trailer & all the 100's of uninstalled
parts to your house , we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone
it won't cost you a penny , you won't need to sell !!! & you will be
able to build a new trailer :-))

What are friends for ?
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Overthetop...Nice try, but it I did that I'd have to keep it at the end, and your final vision may not be the same as mine. 8)

But seriously...someone has to have a idea what a finished trailer is worth?
I have it listed on the Minneapolis Craigslist for $10,500. Do you think that's high or low? :?

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:12 pm

HONESTLY Gadget Man

With what I have in mine, $10,500 for yours is in my opinion dirt cheap....the guy who gets that will be one LUCKY B@!^*#@!D
If I had the room to store your trailer safely, I would get it in 10 seconds flat.

Your really are one of the best builders out there along with Mark 519
you do really impressive QUALITY work.....
that coming from a newbie ......

When ((or IF )) i'm done I'll have maybe 30 into mine, I'm not even counting anymore......
I just keep feeding the monster black hole :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you need a hobby .... I can bring my stuff to you
serious me & you & 2 weeks we can knock it out...as I have 95% all the parts,
I just hate working by myself

Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 am

Gadget Man, Howdy;

About your system to hook up your propane. More than a few RV's have
detachable bar-b-ques and they need propane to operate. What they use are
Quick disconnects made for propane systems;
http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/ ... it-95.html
A short run of black pipe to give a solid place of attachment and even your
insurance agent will be happy.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions