Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Next project bathroom door, or bathroom curtain.....?????

I had this idea in my head for a curtain instead of some type of bi-fold door for my porta-potie bathroom. Wanting to keep things simple as well as light weight, I found a suede (total black-out) window curtain at Walmart for $16.00, I knew it would be very close to the size I needed. it was 40 x 72 inches.
The width worked just perfectly for me, in fact I designed the curtain rod to fit this curtain. I did have to trim some off the bottom. I was able to use some of that hem-glue-tape so I didn't have to sew anything. I just heated it up with the iron.
I knew the curtain rod would have to be 100% custom so I got out some poster board paper and made my pattern.
With this project I got to pull out some fun tool that I don't use everyday like my roller press the welder and grinders. Wow, all that and the clothes iron in one day, Yee-Ha
I think it turned out perfect. It's about 6 inches off the floor to clear my heat vent that blows into the bathroom, and the arched front actually adds extra room in the bathroom area, I can sit on the pot and still have knee room.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm

That 'wc" actually looks roomy. It's magic!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Quick project today.

I was in the trailer today for about an hour testing the furnace again.
So I thought I would take the time to build a little shelf to go inside the cabinet I built up front to hide the toaster and coffee maker.
It's plenty strong enough for coffee filters and a couple mugs.

Check it out....

I plan to use every square inch of empty space for some type storage.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Spent some time designing interior cabinets to put my helmets and other gear into. They will mount up tight to the ceiling behind the windows on each side. I struggling to finalize a size, until I started to look for premaid - unfinished cabinet doors, my cabinet size was sort of predetermined by the size doors I could buy.
I wrote down all the door sizes from my local Menards store, then back home and back to the drawing board.
I found the13 x 16 raised panel doors would work for both cabinets I wanted to build.
I built the left side cabinet with the 16 inch side going horizontal. The right side cabinet has the 13 inch side going horizontal. So one is longer than the other. My windows are not straight across from each other, so the available space is different.
All the wood is solid oak. The side panels are 3/4 oak veneer plywood.
I used a Kreg pocket screw jig for all my fasteners. Every edge is glued and screwed.
I stained them with my matching stain, then sprayed one coat of Poly for the top coat.
I'm sorry to say I have build pictures tonight, but I will not get the cabinets hung in the trailer until later this week.

Here is the right side cabinet.

One coat of stain and one coat of spray poly.

But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:49 am

Your builds looking good! I've been following your progress & I'm getting ready to order my own 7x16 or 7x18 trailer to build out for a trip to Yellowstone next summer.

Any progress on your beds? I'm really interested in how you work that out. Do you plan on having a wall to separate your bikes from your living quarters? Any worries about bike fuel/oil fumes building up during transit? That's my hold up on deciding on the size. Not sure if I need to separate things due to fumes building up.

BTW, Did I see you over at Motocampers forum w/ a TW200? The post is from January 2011. I picked up a slightly used 2008 TW 3 weeks ago to play with this winter & to ride around my timber acreage. They are alot of fun... after riding it I now plan on using it a whole lot more than I first thought since it can go just about anwywhere. I'm also now looking for another one for my wife (actually she says I'm looking for one for me since the one I bought already belongs to her!).
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Glenlivet » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:13 pm

That shower, W/C is excellent design. Most impressive. :thumbsup:
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:50 pm

K Joe:

Yes that's me on the other forum with the TW200. I love that bike. Believe it or not I sold a 1984 BW200 to buy the TW. I used to own a Rokon 2-wheel drive bike. That thing was unstoppable.

I'm working on my bed design. They will be a couch during the day, and a bed at night. The bike must be outside for all of this to work.
They will then fold up tight against the wall when the bike is inside. They will stick out less than 8 inches from the wall.
I'm not worried about gas fumes building up, I have 2 roof vents plus 2 windows. We will not sleep in there when the bike is inside.

Today I mounted the cabinets I built last weekend. I also added some hardware handles to the front cabinets.
I can't believe how much a little hardware can really add to the over all look of the cabinets. They go from plain-Jane to Custom.
I tried to match the handles to the counter top the best I could.
On the back cabinets I painted some brown hinges black to match the window trim.

I'm glad my measurements worked out. I wanted to be as narrow as possible and still fit two helmets in this cabinet. It turned out perfect, if I must say so my self.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:36 am

Your build looks better with each volley of new photos. Can't wait to see how you build out your sleeping arrangements. Will you be using after market brackets or building your own design? How soon do you plan on using your adventure trailer?

Following with great interest.

Merry Christmas!
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Glenlivet » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Gadget Man wrote:...I'm working on my bed design. They will be a couch during the day, and a bed at night. The bike must be outside for all of this to work.
They will then fold up tight against the wall when the bike is inside. They will stick out less than 8 inches from the wall. ...Gadget Man

Just throwing this out there... I transport my ATV inside too, and evict it for living space when parked. I made my fold up bed to be full width, and one side becomes a bench (not as elegant as a couch) for day use, and table storage on the other side.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 34&start=0

The side storing the foamies up against the wall and the table on the underside projects 10.5" from the wall when up, and the bench side projects 4" when up.
I'm sure that whatever design of bed/couch you settle on, with your cabinetmaking skills you'll create something in oak that's much nicer looking than my framing based 2x3 and plywood cobbling.
:)
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:20 pm

K-Joe
The hardware for my sofa-bed will all be custom.
Today I drew up a design for a cooler cabinet today. This stand-up cabinet will go on the right side just next to the door. it will have a beer cooler on the bottom, and food storage shelf's on the top.
I need to build this cabinet before I can build the right side sofa/bed.

I hope to have everything finished by Memorial Day. That's usually our first camping weekend here.

Glenlivet:
What is the thickness of your plywood beds? It looks like 3/4 inch ?
Do you think 1/2 is thick enough if it was supported in the middle?

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Glenlivet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 am

The bed surface is 5/8" plywood but I'm sure 1/2" would do fine as you say, with a few more supports. I don't notice any deflection in the big piece with my 240 on it, the way I have it.
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:35 pm

The next thing to build is the kitchen cabinet with built in cooler.

After drawing it out several times this week and gathering all the parts today I started.
I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch oak plywood at Home Depot and had them make two cuts for me. What a time saver.
I started to make the necessary changes in the trailer to fit the cabinet.
First was to move one 120 volt outlet and to add another one inside the cabinet. This cabinet will be 79 inches tall, 24 inches wide and 18 inches deep. There will be an open counter top section sort of like a desk. The top will have two 16 x 22 cabinets on top for food or clothes. I still need to decide which way they will open ? Hinge on the top or on the sides.

Here are a few pictures of the electrical changes I made today. I removed all the door trim and took the entire wall panel down so I could cut the foam and route the wires for another outlet box. I then moved the outlet I already had over a couple inches. You can see in the first picture the outlet and the light switch are not lined up. But after I add the big piece of oak trim, they are now lined up and there is a new outlet spot up higher.
It may not make a lot of sense until I post more pictures of the actual box tomorrow.

But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:15 pm

I got a little further on the cabinet today. Now it looks a bit more like a bookcase stand-up cabinet.
It's slow going since I'm sort of designing it as I go along. Plus the fact that I can't just built it solid in the garage and then carry it out and stand it up in the trailer. The trailer ceiling height is 79.5 inches and that's the exact height of the cabinet. So I have to build it so I can carry the two sidewalls out to the trailer and stand them up and screw the sides and back together. I will not be able to stand it up if it were all assembled like a box.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:13 am

I showed your build to my friend yesterday I told her I would like to do something similar to ours when we get it.
she liked the idea of having a private space for the porta-potty
she really liked the "garage" for coffee pot.
I'm sure she will like the cabinet you are installing now I would like to have a hanging closet.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Made some more progress today, enough so you can now really see what I'm trying to build.
I finished all the router work for the center shelf's. worked on all the fit and finish little things today.
Then I stained all the wood to match all the other cabinets.

This is what happens when you have your pieces held up with spring clamps and you turn your back for a brief moment, it all crashes down like a house of cards. luckily nothing was damaged in the fall.

Here is everything with a fresh coat of stain.

Now I hope to install it in the camper next Saturday.

Thanks for looking
Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions