Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby GarArnett » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Cool bike. I used to have a '97 funduro. Trailer looks great. Can't wait to see the Murphy beds.
GarArnett
Teardrop Builder

adventure trailer

Postby gwan2cruz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:57 am

Great looking trailer! I have a 6x12 and may *borrow* some of your great ideas. I have a Honda Transalp and a Honda ST1100 motorcycles to tote around if needed. This keeps me pumped to finish!
gwan2cruz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Gadget Man,

Thanks for the reply! You have me convinced to go ahead with the 7x14 (maybe 7x16) tandem axle.

My application & use will be similar to yours. However my build out will not be nearly as nice. I don't have the skills nor the tools to come anywhere close to your build.

My bikes also typically have hard pannier set ups, although for some trail riding I go with soft panniers. Most of the time my bike travel has been self contained on the bike. Since my wife & son (both very new to riding) have expressed an interest in bike travel I plan on using the trailer as a base camp & doing day trips out and back from the trailer. We also do some winter camping & on some days the weather is warm enough to use the bike for short trips. With the larger trailer I can always have atleast one bike with me. Taking along one of my kayaks would be a great possibility. I believe this trailer set up will extend all those possibilities.

I'm really enjoying following your build. It is inspiring to see the possibilities.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby myoung » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Terrific build. This is the best looking conversion I've seen.
:thumbsup: :applause:
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby BC_Explorer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Great craftsmanship and trailer! I like the cabinets that are in the front V-Nose and gives me some more ideas for my 6x10 V-Nose trailer which is on order.
BC_Explorer
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 pm

Kankujoe:
I have the same thoughts with the Kayaks, We have a pair of 12 foot Wilderness Systems sit on top fishing kayaks. I plan on making a rack out of PVC pipe to slide inside and hold the two kayaks in a sling made out of nylon webbing. That's one more reason I went with the 14 foot trailer.

And yes, that is a 1997 BMW f650. I bought it sight-unseen on E-Bay about 3 years ago. Had it shipped from NC to MN I bought the hard bags and made the back top rack for a Moto-Fizz bag. I love that bike. Minnesota has a lot of places to ride. My brother and I are planning the first trip with our bikes and the Adventure Trailer to the Black Hills of South Dakota for May of 2012

I haven't done much else to the trailer in the past couple weekends.
My next plan is to draw out and build the Murphy Beds.
I have bought a pair of 4" Memory Foam Mattress's for the beds.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Doing some work in the trailer with the furnace running has brought on a possible new problem...
Check out the picture of my standard Honeywell round T-stat. This is a mercury switch stat. And check out the picture of my one rear stabilizer jack, centered in the back.
I have noticed if I'm in the trailer walking around (side to side) the trailer has a bit of sway (with only one jack) it can play-heck with a mercury switch stat.
I can either get another jack for more stability or a non-mercury stat.
Perhaps both...

I think I'll look for another jack at a bone yard and get a digital T-stat.
That will fix both of my problems.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 am

You really need two jacks on the back anyway. Heck I noticed even on my little 6x14 a jack on each corner made a world of difference. For what ever reason our dog when he walks causes the trailer to bounce really bad with out the jacks. Worse then a 200lb guy walking around. Junk yard is cheaper, But if you have problems finding matching jacks you might want to check on ebay.. I bought 4 RV jacks for something like 69 bucks.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:16 pm

8ball_99
I thought the one jack in the center of the back would be enough to keep things stabilized while I worked inside this winter, after all, that one jack is all that I have used for all my construction up until now.

The trailer is pretty stable with one jack, and I know 2 will be perfect, I have some of those corner screw jacks somewhere if I could only find them....

Gadget Man.
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I didn't really notice the sway or bounce in mine so much until we took it on a trip. Between the wife and dog walking around I got woke up a few times. I figured out pretty quick I needed a fix!
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 am

I started out with two auto jacks from the junkyard; But I ended up going with 4 aluminum jack stands. I find that the stability I get from 4 over the two is well worth it.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Greetings:
This weekend I had time to work on a couple inside projects on the Adventure Trailer.
With the 3 foot V nose trailer I have a lot of extra space on my counter top.
I noticed the "appliance garage" they sell in the kitchen design stores to to hide the toaster and the blender. They are usually in the corner of the counter-top.
I figured I had space to do the same.
Here are some pictures of my version of an appliance garage.

In case the pictures are not clear, those are 12 volt power outlets built into the frame of the cabinet wall. This where I can plug in my cell phone or charge my I-Pod or whatever. I figured since the main power is directly below the counter top, it was a very easy run to hook-up these outlets.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby msnglinc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Very clean looking. Are you not worried the items will bounce around in there or do you have a fix for that already? I like the stainless counter top too.
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Msnglinc:
I'm not to worried about things bouncing around in there.
I'll lay down some of that shelf liner with the non-skid backing that should limit the sliding around.
With that toaster and little coffee maker in there, there is not much room left to bounce around.
I may still install a shelf above the coffee maker for the coffee and filters since I have some space left. You gotta take advantage of every square inch of space in one of these little campers.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby myoung » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:27 pm

msnglinc wrote:Very clean looking. Are you not worried the items will bounce around in there or do you have a fix for that already? I like the stainless counter top too.

Trailers tend to bounce and throw things around more behind the axle rather than in front of it. I wouldn't expect much bouncing up there in the nose.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions