Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby kempshark » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:53 am

Looks like a really nice build in the making. I'm still in the dreaming, designing phase.....waiting until I can justify the expense (to the better half especially!! ;) ). I don't think I will be able to build cabinets quite that nice with the tools/equipment I possess at this time. I think I'll have to look for storebought to fit as best as possible.

I don't think I'm going to have any water (sink, toilet, shower, etc.), but the wife would like to have a toilet/portapotty......I want to keep it fairly simple, but being in Florida I require a/c and would like a TV/Video system for those times we're stuck inside due to weather or laying around at night. Other than that a fridge and microwave would come in handy. Still debating on one of those two burner stoves. Hmm, starting to sound not-so-simple already!!! :lol: I think the a/c, insulation, and bed/seating will be the most important things at least initially.
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby capt4903 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 pm

looking good!!!

i like the coin mat idea..... :applause:
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby Campndual » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Wow! The cabinets are just partially complete and they already look top notch. Can you share the actual floorplan? Would be neat to see how the cabinets fit relative to the overall footprint of the floor. :roll:
Campndual
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Campndual: I'll have to work on an overhead drawing for you.

Tonight we sanded and stained all the woodwork. The frames are all 2x3 inch solid oak. the shelf's are all 3/4 plywood. I'm not sure of the weight of
3/4 plywood, but there must be 3 full sheets used for all the shelf's and walls total.
There are a few pictures of the before and after we did the Golden Oak stain. We will lay down a sprayed on lacquer top coat after this sits for 24 hours.
This is my friend Bobs wood shop, I'm so jealous, it's about 30 x 30 space of just wood working, the other half of the building is wood storage.
Monday will be the build day after everything is 100% dry.

My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Cabinets are finished and mounted.
Here are some pictures of the cabinets we finished all the staining and the top coat finish.
The counter top is a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum coated plastic over a piece of 1/2 plywood.
The sink still needs to be cut in and the refrigerator cabinet is not fastened to the wall yet.
There will be a 4" round hole cut in the right side of the cabinet for the furnace vent. The furnace is capable of blowing out the side as well as the front, so one vent will blow towards the porta-pottie. (not pictured)

I'm not sure if I want to put the microwave in the top cabinet slot or the second one down. I'm leaning more to leaving it on top. the empty spot will be a wine rack and a little bar set-up. Bottle holder and ice bucket etc.

I hope to work on the plumbing and electrical next .

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Worked on the plumbing today.
I made a template for the sink hole out of 3" strips of cardboard that I laid on the backside of the sink exactly where they should be. Then I taped the square together to hold it in place. I could have hot melt glued it also.
I traced inside the cardboard for my cut line. I even left the cardboard taped down to protect my counter top from scratching with my jig-saw.

Since I do not have a water heater, I plumbed the faucet so water will come out of both the hot and the cold valve, even thought it's from the same tank.

The drain goes to a separate 10 gallon tank. Both tanks are vented so they will fill easily. and both tanks drain out through the floor to the ground.

I still have to wire all my electrical through my power converter before I can test the pump.

[url=http://gadgetmanphotos.smugmug.com/CampingThttp://gadgetmanphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/getalink.mg?AlbumID=18557675&AlbumKey=Z6SgL7&ImageID=1523052752&ImageKey=68w4vzj&how=forum&Page=1#EmbedableLinksrailerConversions/Adventure-Trailer/18557675_Z6SgL7#1523052752_68w4vzj-A-LB]Image[/url]

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I was on vacation all last week so I managed to get a lot done on the Adventure Trailer. I'd even go so far as to say it's ready to use on a camping trip, too bad it's now October in Minnesota.
I still do not have the Murphy beds installed, or even built for that matter.
If we do use the trailer for Deer Hunting we will just use Army cots for sleeping.
I still want to mount a TV and a DVD player somewhere. I think I'll build a cabinet on the right side next to the door.

This week I finished all the Electrical, both 12 volt DC and all the 120 volt AC going through the power Converter.
I finished all the plumbing. Both the fresh and the gray water tanks share a common drain port out through the floor.

I hung up a light in the bathroom, and a small LED battery light up under the front cabinet that shines right down into the sink.
I made a turn-buckle tie down strap system so the microwave will not slide around in the cabinet. I also made some safety rods that will hold the refrigerator door shut while going down the road.

I think I have run out of time to paint my roof white with the elasticized paint, but I did put one of those roof vent covers over the stock vent.
I bought a Fanstastic Fan but haven't mounted it yet.

Check out the pictures, let me know what you think.
I have several other pictures if anyone wants a different view of something.

I guess that's about all I finished over the past week.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am

I think what you did get finished, a lot, you did a good looking job.

I'm still in the do I do or do I do not stage, health issues.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mskobier » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Looking GOOD!!!
mskobier
Silver Donating Member

Postby Goatdog » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 pm

I am very impressed! Just bought my cargo trailer and started taking pics. Will start my post soon but nowhere near your skills.
Goatdog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Goatdog wrote:I am very impressed! Just bought my cargo trailer and started taking pics. Will start my post soon but nowhere near your skills.

I've heard that said before just look at what others have done form a plan and follow the plan.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks Guys

We laid everything out on the floor with blue painters tape 5 different times before we made the final decision.
I put the water tanks and the porta potty down and used them to help size the bathroom and the counter top size.
The triangle closet in the bathroom was a total bonus. My original design was to just run the bathroom all the way into the V nose. I think the bathroom cabinet adds a lot.

I'm just going to use a drape for the bathroom door. I knew there would not be room for a solid door. I'll custom bend a 3/8 metal rod for the curtain rod.

Tonight I wired up the main 12 volt power switch so I can Kill everything when I'm not using the trailer. That's the big red switch under the sink in the bottom right door.

I'm not going to store my motorcycle in the trailer this winter, I want to be able to work on the Murphy beds over the long cold Minnesota winter.

Gadget Man
Last edited by Gadget Man on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby mike46060 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:01 am

You have done a great Job! I have been thinking about doing this. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
mike46060
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 am

Great looking build Gadget Man!!!

I'll be following your build with great interest. I'm in the process of trying to decide on a 6x10, 6x14 or 7x14 cargo trailer to build out as a "toy hauler/camper. I want to carry two mid size sport touring bikes or dirt bikes for my adventures.

How did you come to decide on a 7x14?

Will you be using E-tracks or D-rings to secure your bikes?

Will your Murphy beds join together when down or will they be separate bunks?

How much different will the drag be hauling this vs. your previous build? I'll be increasing from a 5x10 cargo trailer conversion, wonder how much different the towing will be?
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gadget Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Kankujoe,
Check out these pictures, it sounds like you are looking to do something similar like a toyhauler / camper.

Today I rode the BMW into the back of the Adventure Trailer.
It fits just as well as I had hoped. First I had it dead center. this will work fine when my wife go alone and take the full sized 800 pound Road Star or the BMW Dual-Sport.

Then I removed my hard bags and moved the bike closer to the wall so I could figure out how well two bikes will fit inside. There will be no problem. I may stagger the handle bars to make them fit even better. The right side bike will be set-back about 1-foot. There may someday be a cabinet mounted on the right sidewall in front near the door.

I originally started to look at a 6 x 12 single axle trailers, then once I decided I was going to use a tandem axle I started to think 7 x 14.
I then looked at a 2 foot V nose, that was a little small, then I looked at a 4 foot V nose, I didn't like the look, it was to pointed. So the perfect middle ground was the 3 foot V nose.
I plan on using the removable wheel chock and two front tied down on the floor. The bikes will always be in the exact same place so I won't need adjustable tie downs.

On the Murphy beds, I have 80 inches to work with, so I plan on making two separate beds, both about 32 inches wide, so that will give me 4 inches in between the beds. Remember the two Murphy Beds will be about 6 inches wide. There will be times when I camping with my Son or my Brother, neither of which I'm planning to share a bed with.
I'm not worried about the towing thing...this is our 9th camper and this is much smaller than our last 21 foot Desert Fox toy hauler camper we had, that thing was like a sail, but it is much larger than our Weekender Teardrop style trailer that I built 3 years ago.

So here are the pictures of the BMW in the trailer.
Then a photo of it moved over so I can fit 2 full sized Dual Purpose bikes.
There is a picture of the removable wheel chock.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions