Side Door Latch?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Side Door Latch?

Postby RonRock » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 pm

I just bought a 6X12 CT. I am very impressed with all I see here on this forum. I don't plan on a full on conversion, but do plan on some improvements to make my CT useful a couple times a year for sleeping in.

One thing I'm wanting to do ASAP is a door latch on the side door. As it is now there is a "typical" door locking mechanism. Not sure what it is called, but it is a pivoting pipe with an arm that pushes against the door and clamps into place. No way to latch from inside the trailer. And would be a safety issue if someone decided it would be funny to lock the door with me inside.

So do you guys with experience suggest I remove the existing locking system and replace it with some type of door latch? Where can I find something that will work on a CT door? Would like something that can be locked from inside or out if available.

Thanks,
Ron
RonRock
Teardrop Inspector

Postby B@tt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:48 pm

order a door latch (I got mine off Ebay for > $30) cut a hole and put it in. I had to add a 1/4" thickness to my door which was easily done with a piece of plexi-glass that now double as a dry-earse message board. Check around here for pics and more on this topic. Its there for you, you just have to hunt a bit. Check out Kickintail's build. He has a great step by step on the door latch.
B@tt
Teardrop Advisor

Door Latch

Postby drcurran » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:14 am

I asked the same question some time agao and got this great reply, complete with pics.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ht=#357725
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby RonRock » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks guys, that looks easy enough. So I guess I need to look for an RV Door Latch.

I did not even know what to look for. Seems obvious now, RV parts are what I'll need. Any suggestions as to online parts sources?

I usually will try to "Do a search" first, but in this case I did not even know what to search for. And my searching skills are not the best. Seems my logic and computer logic aren't the same.

Thanks Again, Now I will search for Kickintail's thread. I have read some amazing build threads here.

Ron
RonRock
Teardrop Inspector

Postby David_L6 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:26 pm

David_L6
Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=390306076571&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT this is to two door latches I'm watching to replace on my front and rear door.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 am

As others said, buy the RV door latch, eBay is where I got mine.

The pics in the other thread show a wooden door... CT's don't usually have wooden doors. If you're does, then that should be easy :thumbsup:

If not, it can be a little more difficult. I'm sure my door doesn't represent all CT doors, but here's what I had to do to get mine in:

Ugly, ugly door jam

It took a jig saw, a grinder, a dremel, some drill bits, and a sawzall. It's not the prettiest install, but it's what I could do with what I had. :roll:

To your other question on the leaving the Cam latch on, that depends. I here on dirt roads on unlevel ground that the RV style door latch can pop open. So the Cam latch can keep it more securely closed. That leaves you with a different problem though. You'll need another Cam Latch Hasp mounted on the trailer side to secure the bar in the open position. Otherwise, someone can lock you in, which is real problem with the crew I camp with :lol: You could also lock it into place with an eye bolt, but I like the look of the hasp, and had the wall open anyway.

I guess if your install is good, and your trailer doesn't tend to twist, the dead-bolt on the RV latch will keep it closed though. I haven't seen mine pop open yet, and I've pulled it without the cam bar.

ymmv
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Door Latch

Postby drcurran » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

Don't know how this will look, but it is a simple way of locking the large "cam lock bar" open so you can't be locked in. Helps if you have the wall open so you can run the eye bolt through a rib. Good luck!

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby RonRock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks guys, great help here. I am going to order the single latch as pointed out by David_L6. Appreciate the pictures of the installs. Makes this look straight forward, now that you have told me what and where to buy the correct latch.

Very Helpful.

Ron
RonRock
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions