4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC

Postby NO David! » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Well, we used to tent camp with two tents and haul everything in the tow vehicle but I had this crazy idea about a trailer...

Found MDVaden's site on the web, and another on ADVrider, which led me to here and the rest is history. You folks are sheer mad genius. (takes one to know one I suppose)

Started with a trailer big enough to haul the 15'-8" canoe if needed. then decided if everyone and everything else would fit. Wanted to keep everything bare bones, functional, and modular.

Found some surplus military cots, used some leftover kayak straps, ordered e-track fittings, insulated roof, walls, and corners, waiting to install the Fantastic Vent (fan) when the weather improves.

Thanks (and blame) to most everyone here. Been to busy working on it and now enjoying it to post anything.

Started with a 7x16 Cargo Craft Expedition.

Had the factory install straight axles for extra clearance, RV door, and two windows offset (thanks "Gonefishin").

Added a 15 amp circuit, with a WFCO converter and a few GFCI outlets.

Preferred barn doors over ramp for our use.

Used 1" foam insulation and armorflex wire, (boy am I cheap) taped the seams, off we go.

Here's our led rope lights for camera light, can't remember who here donated that idea, but it is great.
Test loaded the trailer, getting pretty busy in there.

Forgot to mention we used vertical E-track to mount everything, even to help hang the cots from the ceiling.

Here we are setting up camp on the first trip.

Our first trip, boondocking, breakfast is served!

Trailer manufacturer had no extra charge for color, of course I tried to match the tow vehicle.

Thanks again to everyone here for the ideas, and encouragement. I looked at all types of RVs, new and used, but nothing seemed to work for us. Most everyone had a recommendation other than what met our needs. So when they said No David! I guess I did it anyway.
Last edited by NO David! on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I changed the tags on your first three pics to img and /img instead of url and /url.

You're welcome to do that to the rest of the pics if you like...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikegt4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Where did you find that style of military cots? I was about ready to weld something up for my build as all that I could find was the fold-up style cots, yours look like a non fold-up frame. What you did is exactly what I was planning to do.
mikegt4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 am

what does "4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff and a 7x16 CTC = a lot of stuff" :shock:

I too would like to know if there is a supply for the bunks or was it a one time deal?
I slept on a metal framed canvas covered bed and thin mattress while in the Navy, not to bad that was 50 years ago tho.... :thinking:

nice build I'll bet all 6 of you will enjoy the trailer for many years to come.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:14 am

pete42 wrote:what does "4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff and a 7x16 CTC = a lot of stuff" :shock:

I too would like to know if there is a supply for the bunks or was it a one time deal?
I slept on a metal framed canvas covered bed and thin mattress while in the Navy, not to bad that was 50 years ago tho.... :thinking:

nice build I'll bet all 6 of you will enjoy the trailer for many years to come.

Pete

i don't think those navy cots/bunks would cut it anymore. i too slept on them but it was 30 yrs ago. don't think the back could do that any more.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 pm

mikegt4 and Pete42,

Didn't read forum rules for advertising but the surplus cots came from here:
http://store.colemans.com/cart/cot-euro-military-p-610.html
Colemans Military Surplus, they are listed as a Euro spec. military cot. I was going to go the same route as you, have a fabrication shop build a rectangular frame, order cordura nylon fabric, and have an upholstery shop sew them up like a pipe berth used on boats.

Found the cots, and decided it was cheap enough to use just as a frame, but they worked so well, I just used them as is. They are 1" heavy gauge steel tubing, one piece, non-folding, except the legs. All welded and painted with heavy primer and military green. I simply cut the leg braces out and removed the legs for the top bunks, and left them in for the ones on the floor.

The sleeping surface is actually treated burlap (of all things) and quite strong and comfortable with a sleeping bag. The fabric frame is heavy gauge wire sewn in with hangers inserted into the top of the tubing every few inches all the way around.

The adults (ahem) get to sleep on a Serta 'click clack' couch since my folding bed design got too expensive and cumbersome in the process. This keeps with the modular plan for the trailer, and gives a nice sitting area for rainy days.

Best part on the cots is the easy removal depending on where we travel and what gear we take with us, and number of occupants. The top bunks either strap up on the hinge towards the ceiling, or clip out of the e-track for complete removal. Bottoms ones are hanging on a j-hook e-track fitting and ride nicely.

Thanks for the questions, glad I could contribute since watching this forum I knew my skills fell way short of some of the designs here, but it was fun and pretty easy to get this project to this stage.

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby MegC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Totally.freaking.awesome. Family Funhog Caravan you've got going there!

We've only got 2 "adults" (ahem) and 1 kid, but bikes and kyaks are part of the summer entourage & skis for winter. My plan is to sling up a cot or hammock for kidlet over a folding bed so we can keep the inside clear for all the toys et al.

There are a ton of excellent examples of craftsmanship around here that I could never hope to duplicate. But to be honest, for those of us who use a camping trip as a chance to wallow around in crud, having everything set up with dirt removal in mind is a high priority. Those indoor/outdoor carpet walls and floor sure look classy... until my mountain bike drooled mud all over 'em. :oops:
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

MegC wrote:There are a ton of excellent examples of craftsmanship around here that I could never hope to duplicate. But to be honest, for those of us who use a camping trip as a chance to wallow around in crud, having everything set up with dirt removal in mind is a high priority. Those indoor/outdoor carpet walls and floor sure look classy... until my mountain bike drooled mud all over 'em. :oops:

I agree. I may not have went for craftsmanship nearly as much as I wanted total functionality.
I go camping, canoing, hiking, hunting, and snorkeling. I Needed / required quick and easy cleaning. I needed to be able to remove all the insides except perhaps the cabinet for gear swapping.
:thinking: The lack of "quality craftsmanship" doesn't affect my Fun adventure value level.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:37 pm

This is a great toyhauler. Thanks for posting it (I think) because now you have me thinking in a whole new direction for my next project. I don't know if that's a good thing becuase I have too many ideas running into each other in my head already.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks MegC, for your kind words. Nice to get affirmation from others who have similar interests. (biking and kayaking)
It's somewhat of a job to load the kayaks on the tow vehicle, but since we adopted the trailer idea, we've just about decided to use it even for day trips. Even with a 7x16, it's not so overwhelming that we can't get to most locations for our outdoor adventures with ease. It's really nice to have a 'basecamp' to work out of. We think we'll just keep it loaded except for the foodstuffs, remove whatever gear we don't need for that outing, hookup and hit the road.

(+Wolfscout) Cleanup is a breeze (literally). I've used the kids' battery powered leaf blower, my air blow gun from the garage, and the now permanent broom in the corner, for fast housekeeping. We found a closeout price on a 6' x 16' vinyl backed with fiber top entrance mat for the floor to help insulate. I figure we'll just yank it out and hose it off every once in a while. yes, functionality good idea to keep in mind.

@ Oldragbaggers... looked at new and used toyhaulers, not right for us, cost and quality biggest problems. I liked the idea of the airstream basecamp, but too large of a price and too little room. My collection of bad pencil sketches ended up being pretty close to the final project. Best advice yet was to get it functioning, then take a few trips before deciding how to finish out the details. I continue to be amazed at the nice surprises this trailer plan continues to offer in flexibility.

Once again, gotta hand it to the creative minds here on this forum for getting me out of the planning stages and off to work on it.

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Thanks for posting this!

Postby 4kidsinatent » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello, we are a family w/ 4 kids, also! We also have the same problem camping and were about to buy a small cargo trailer just for gear....but expanded into this idea. Our kids are getting old enough would like to buy kayaks or canoes this summer, and even w/ 6 bikes...well clearly you know how it is.
We are looking at something similiar (to purchase, not build). We are looking at 6x15 or 7x18 w/ a tent pop-out. My husband wants to go w/ the smaller, I would like to go w/ the 7x18. But he's the one that's gotta tow it.
Now that you have used it, are you happy with the size?
You've done a nice job, the vertical etrack is brilliant. I was also talking to my hubby about suspending kayaks from ceiling so kids could sleep on floor.
Thanks for posting, I'm going to show my husband the pictures when he gets home!
4kidsinatent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NO David! » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Funny you mention the cargo trailer for gear. That was our initial thought, a friend had recommended the same based on one they knew who used one just for that. We rented a popup camper for a trip, the foldout bunks I think you are referring to (similar to popup slide beds) were fine except for climbing over each other, and wet weather breaking camp. A popup camper stayed in the running for us for a long time, but we still had to haul and secure the gear (toys). Cargo Conversion fits the bill.

As far as the trailer size goes, wouldn't change a thing. We started thinking about a 7x14, but I read several common sense posts here that reminded me you can always use the extra space, but it's pretty hard to make your existing trailer bigger. Our 7 wide is acutally 6' 9" inside width. The cots were about 27" wide and after mounting, I now have a 24" wide walkway between them. I doubt I would want any less space between bunks. Original plans included a galley in the back, about 2' deep. That plan was scrapped because we almost always cooked outside when tent camping anyway, and the toy hauler type access was more important. The aforementioned infamous "click clack" couch is about 75" wide and would not have worked across the front of a 6' wide of course.

All but one of the kayaks are Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100s (10' length).The nose of one placed at the back of the RV door, ends about 2' short of the back door.

8' wide was too wide for my tow vehicle w/o tow mirrors, 7' seems to work fine with my stock mirrors. The occasional forest service road trip might be a little tight on 7', but so far so good. I think our dry trailer weight was 2200 lbs. I picked tandem axle more for ride than capacity, but I'm glad I did. Tow vehicle is a 95 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau, 5.8L factory tow package, 3.55 gears, pulls it pretty easy. Most newer V-8s (and some V-6s) have much more power and torque along with greater tow capacity, so you might have it pretty easy either way.

I would encourage you to "build" as ours was really just finish work compared to most here. Look for 8Ball99 and his original 6' wide toy hauler here and another named WA for a nice build on a 7 wide. Also look at the VRV toy hauler online and outsidevans.com for some other ideas from manufacturers.

Thanks for looking, hope I get to help and inspire as others did for me here.

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Re: 4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC

Postby outsidezion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:11 pm

David - thanks for sharing your link on my build. Lots of good stuff here.

Love the kayak storage. Still haven't figured out the bikes as I don't think we will have room to do as you did. But, even 5 bikes floating around outside would be well served by the pvc rack. Thanks again for sharing!
PA Wilds Bug out Trailer 16 x 7 x 7 Aluminum: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61833
outsidezion
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks outsidezion,

Looks like you are well down the path... One of my original bike plans included a row of fork mount clamps spaced on a board, (clamped into the e-track of course), that would store the bikes vertical, hanging against the trailer wall, with the rear tire resting on the floor/wall base.

Nice looking build you have going there.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61833

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Rchr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:31 am

No David,
Thanks for posting! I really appreciate the pics. Could u post some more pics of the cots & how you attached them to the e-track. That might be just what I am looking for. Currently I have a 2 pair of take down bunk beds (disc-o-beds) which work great but I can only fit 1 pair (40" wide). Plus they have to be set up & put down when traveling.

I am thinking of getting 4 of them to set them up as bunk beds, like you did.

Thanks again!

Javier
Rchr
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions