Inspired to get a 6X10 CT!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Inspired to get a 6X10 CT!

Postby hankaye » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 am

crumvoc, Howdy;

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, glad to hear the damages were
on the minor side ('cept the thumb).
So, how's the CT? been doing anything to it lately?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am

crumvoc wrote:... where a group of Harley riders from Bellingham Washington had just pulled up, wearing shorts, T-shirts and very few wearing helmets.

I am happy to hear you survived without any big time serious long term harm. I too gave up riding after owning bikes for a few decades. I was wearing a Bell Star full coverage back in the late 60's.

Anyhow, here in NM helmets are optional if you are a grownup; age is either 16 or 18. I'm so far past that I don't worry. I have noticed for years that the vast majority of HD riders never wear helmets or proper riding gear. Riders of almost all other bikes are much more likely to wear a helmet.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crumvoc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Similar helmet laws here in Idaho. Had I not been wearing a helmet, my face would not be nearly as beautiful as it is now and, more likely than not, I would've sustained a serious head injury/brain injury. The helmet had DEEP gouges and the visor was broken off. I work in vocational rehabilitation and I have read way too many brain injury reports. Riding without a helmet and armor is, in my humble opinion, insane. (Unfortunately, that day, I did not follow my own advice and did not wear my armored pants because it was "too hot.")

Other dangerous pastimes include SHOWERING: two weeks ago I dropped something in the shower, bent over to pick it up, hit my head on the built in ceramic soap holder, broke it, and suddenly there was blood everywhere. After flailing around for a moment trying to figure out where on my head I had cut myself, with the shower area looking like a murder scene, I looked at my hand where there was a deep cut apparently caused by a falling piece of the ceramic soap holder. Nine stitches later, I'll be fine. Then I had to fix the shower…

Cargo trailer is essentially the same as was before all this happened. I did purchase a 2 inch memory foam topper from foam by mail which made the bed much more comfortable.

Be safe out there...
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm

crumvoc wrote:Other dangerous pastimes include SHOWERING: two weeks ago I dropped something in the shower, bent over to pick it up, hit my head on the built in ceramic soap holder, broke it, and suddenly there was blood everywhere. with the shower area looking like a murder scene, I looked at my hand where there was a deep cut apparently caused by a falling piece of the ceramic soap holder. Nine stitches later, I'll be fine.

Be safe out there...

Now you need to wear a wet suit & leather gloves in the shower, also stay away from Ladders :lol: :lol:

Glad your still OK, to your health :beer: :beer: :beer:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Scored a new tow vehicle

Postby crumvoc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:07 pm

A while back I decided I really did not need a full size pickup, and wanted 4 wheel drive, so today I found/bought this 1999 Yukon, 5.7L engine, most heavy duty options including tow package,well maintained and in beautiful condition with only 85K miles! I hope it's as good as it looks!
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

May 2014 Fishing trip to Billy Shaw Lake, Owyhee Reservation

Postby crumvoc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:57 pm

My younger brothers Curt and Kevin and I returned to Billy Shaw Lake again this summer. Sadly, it turned out to be the only outing with the trailer this summer. Instead, we took a wonderful family vacation to Spain and Italy, which sort of dominated the summer. 125887 125886 125885
Last edited by crumvoc on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:04 pm

I just like this photo of the brothers...

Here is the trailer interior as it is today. I usually keep the bed "up" when I'm camping in it. Or, sometimes I take the last couple supports out and gain a couple feet of floorspace.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:08 pm

How are you liking the choice on foam for the bed?
   HE WHO LIVES WITHOUT DISCIPLINE, DIES WITHOUT HONOR.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Crumvoc, I've been hearing good things about the lakes down there lately. Looks like you boys had a fun time. Tow vehicle and ct are looking good.

I have a "memory foam" topped mattress. I really like it. The only problem that I have had with it is if I take my ct out unexpectedly when it has been cold out.

Memory foam gets very stiff at low temperatures and holds the cold for quite awhile. It takes sometime with the heater on to get the mattress warmed up enough that I want to sleep on it. One time I even resorted to turning the mattress over so that the memory foam was underneath. Not a huge problem, but something to take into account.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crumvoc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:57 pm

CGRotorhead wrote:How are you liking the choice on foam for the bed?

So right now I have 4" of "regular" foam wrapped in Home Depo painter tarps (cut to fit and contact cemented since I don't sew) and on top of that 2" of a fairly firm memory foam. Extremely comfortable bed. Have not tried it in cold weather... but that's what the house is for.... :)
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:05 am

Rainier70 wrote:Crumvoc, I've been hearing good things about the lakes down there lately. Looks like you boys had a fun time. Tow vehicle and ct are looking good.

Actually the fishing was pretty slow this year, but no one complained. The basic ethic for this group on this trip is, in order: No girls, cigars, too many firearms, fine food, fine drinks, a significant volume of lies/tall tales, no phones, and fly fishing if there is time. The trip was a success on all fronts!
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Revision of interior

Postby crumvoc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:26 pm

One of the nice things about converting a cargo trailer is the ability to change things when you want to do so. It became clear that I would be doing camping in this trailer on a solo basis... so no need for the big bed taking up so much room. So, I cut the bed down to about 4" wider than a twin bed, which left room on the side to place the plastic dresser at the rear of the trailer. Still using the E-track on just the "driver" side. The bed assembly can be lifted out with the removal of just two bolts. This freed up area under the counter, which I am currently using for storage of WC, garbage cans, etc. I also took the opportunity to get rid of the sink add-on shelf, and moved the sink (actually a stainless steel mixing bowl, or dog bowl) to the counter. For now, it just lifts out to empty it, but I hope to figure out a way to put a bar-sink drain and then use a HD bucket for grey water. Lots more room for little ole' me!
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:54 am

I have been redoing the trailer again. Now, I have rearranged the interior. Built a removable wall 1.5' from the back doors, and am in the process of installing a rear galley. This allowed me the "opportunity" to revise the front of the trailer, taking out the sink/counter and some of the cabinets, and building a single larger cabinet that looks like a doghouse. Roomy though. It's still in process. More later.

crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm

The best thing about doing your own conversion..... Reconverting! :thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crumvoc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Rainier70 wrote:The best thing about doing your own conversion..... Reconverting! :thumbsup:

That is true. I find mucking around with the trailer, fixing, revising, etc is a nice change from the "head work" I do for a living. When I'm building/fabricating stuff, it forces me to get out of my head... which is nice.... (I spend too much time in there any way)
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions