Inspired to get a 6X10 CT!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Inspired to get a 6X10 CT!

Postby crumvoc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Here is a link to some other photos from this trip...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/98160857@N03/M37568

\
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Here is a photo of my campground near stanley lake in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho last weekend. Went up for the Total eclipse.

crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Roof sealant failure, 6 years after purchase

Postby crumvoc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Not very impressed with Mirage Workmanship.

The external roof seal on my 2012 Mirage trailer has failed completely. Factory silicone did not even attempt to flow down into the space at the edge of the Galvanized roofing. The self-leveling sealants do seal that completely. Mirage probably saved $20 dollars by using cheap and not suitable silicon seal instead of something that would actually last many years.

The following photographs show the problem, and the repairs I had to make. The last photo shows a small area of new sealant at the top of the photo.

I am using a combination of Sikaflex+ Self-leveling construction adhesive and Dicor self-leveling roofing lap sealant. The sikaflex + is much more expensive but I thought it was worth a try since I had a tube left over from a prior project.

Note: I have not seen any leaks inside the trailer. I can't tell if the actual lap joint might have some butyl rubber inside...

crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Blotto Bros » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

This sucks and a ton of work! I can say from experience it is still MUCH better construction than almost all manufactured travel trailers on the market. I have had great luck with Eternabond sealant tape over all of the joints after you have repaired them.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby crumvoc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Blotto Bros wrote:This sucks and a ton of work! I can say from experience it is still MUCH better construction than almost all manufactured travel trailers on the market. I have had great luck with Eternabond sealant tape over all of the joints after you have repaired them.

Yup. I have used Eternabond on a vintage Spartan trailer with excellent results. I may use it over the self leveling polyurethane sealant... Lucky for me, most of the old silicone sealant basically fell off without a fight...
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Just a little update. Decided to tear out the cheap paneling ceiling and I am replacing it with 1/2" x 5" x 6' cedar fence boards. Doing a lot of sanding. Sealing the boards with 2-3 coats of polyurethane to prevent more splintering/checking... I hope. Love the smell. Inserting 2" black duct tape between the boards so that when they shrink, and they will shrink, it will have a nice black gap. Probably won't finish until spring. So far I like how it looks.

crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby fishboat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 am

Crumvoc, Very nice thread..beginning to end. Many thanks for showing the initial build and following up with how the trailer has evolved over the years. And the pics on your various camping trips..beautiful. We hope to get out that way (from Wisconsin) next year. It's cool to see the camping environment as compared to here..very different.

I look forward to continued installments..much appreciated.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 pm

fishboat wrote:Crumvoc, Very nice thread..beginning to end. Many thanks for showing the initial build and following up with how the trailer has evolved over the years. And the pics on your various camping trips..beautiful. We hope to get out that way (from Wisconsin) next year. It's cool to see the camping environment as compared to here..very different.

I look forward to continued installments..much appreciated.

Thanks!
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 pm

New avitar! World's first selfie. Actually a friend took it of me and my Konica Auto S2 in about 1977. Wish I still had that much hair....

crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby crumvoc » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:41 pm

I am selling this trailer. Excellent shape. 2012 Mirage 6 x 10 single axle cargo trailer (no brakes) with side door and barn doors. 6' interior height. Converted to a camper by myself since new. Currently set up with: comfortable twin bed for one person, lots of interior storage, two awning windows, cedar ceiling. Rear galley with sink, counter, water pump, storage. Includes deep cycle battery, high capacity roof mount vent/fan. It could be restored for cargo trailer use in a couple of hours. Had lots of fun with it and appreciate the help from you folks. $3,000. Boise ID PM me if interested.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions