Ceiling finishing

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ceiling finishing

Postby keljohnso » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm trying to decide how to finish my ceiling. Of coarse I'm adding 1" of foam board, I just don't know what to cover it with.

I'm thinking I'll fasten 1" X 1" wood to the sides of the metal ribs then staple paneling to the wood strips, maybe with some liquid nail added. The ribs are 24" apart, I'm not sure if I should brace between the ribs to keep the paneling from bowing in between ribs.

Any tips, or photos??

Kelly

BTW, just joined a bit ago, very informative site!!
keljohnso
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Ceiling finishing

Postby elmo_4_vt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm going to do 1" of insulation, tape the seams, then do 1/2" ply furring strips lengthwise on 16" centers. Then do another 1/2" of foam in that direction and finish with Luan or paneling... Your mileage may very...

Don

-
Truck: '96 Ford Bronco, Modified for off-road stuff

Trailer in progress: Not a tear drop exactly, sort of a mut of a couple different designs.
elmo_4_vt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby capt4903 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I just used 1/4" flooring underlayment plywood....clear with no knots....$10.00 a sheet from lowes....I havent put a fininsh on it yet.....dont know if I want to paint or stain......finished the ceiling/wall transition with diamond plate.....
capt4903
Teardrop Builder

Postby keljohnso » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:26 pm

capt4903 wrote:I just used 1/4" flooring underlayment plywood....clear with no knots....$10.00 a sheet from lowes....I havent put a fininsh on it yet.....dont know if I want to paint or stain......finished the ceiling/wall transition with diamond plate.....

I thought about that, but I'm using a laminate wood flooring and wasn't sure if it would be too much wood. Might paint it white though...
keljohnso
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IndyTom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Not sure where you are, but at Menard's I have seen wall panels that have what looks like a knocked down texture like you would see on dry wall. Have thought about using them in the Bungalette. I believe they were something like 1/8" masonite.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:30 pm

I ripped down a sheet of 1/2 plywood into 3" wide strips.. Screwed those to the ceiling studs after insulating between them.. Then I used 1/2 insulation between the plywood strips.. I also used 10 dollar sheets of floor underlayment. I just clear coated it. I think it looks good as is.. I was going to paint it white, but after I tried the poly and let it dry I did the entire ceiling with that.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby keljohnso » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 am

I ended up doing the same thing. I figure I can use liquid nail and staple it up so there would be no noticable fasteners. I didn't plan on clear coating, but I like the shiny finish!
keljohnso
Teardrop Inspector

Ceiling finishing

Postby Fung » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:52 am

I used 1" foam and then used sheets of luon (bad spelling) very reasonable a sheet , then used some self tapers in to the steel ribs.
Fung
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jack55 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I went to Menards today and saw foam insulation sheets with a stucco type finish on one side. Its used for insulating exposed foundation walls on houses. Don't know if it would work for a ceiling or not.....might save some weight.....or some time.
Jack55 " We are too soon old and too late smart."
Jack55
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions