inside Temp CT conversion w/o air

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

inside Temp CT conversion w/o air

Postby AG25 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:11 am

Hi I enjoy this forum.
I have been thinking about a CT conversion and have a few questions. Currently I have a pop up there are many negatives to a pop up but one thing I do like about it is the amount of cross ventalation.
I camp where electricity is not available, and I do not want to bring a generator. I dont mind camping when it is hot, but I dont want where I sleep to be hotter than outside. With a CT if the back is compleately open and screened, side door open and screened, and one roof vent and two small windows how is the cross ventalation and inside temp on a hot day. the camp site would be shaded.

If the CT is insulated how much heat is retained when traveling. If you traveled on a sunny 88deg. day on the highway for two hours then pulled into a shaded site and opened everything up how long befor the inside of the trailer is the same as the outside temp?

If I didnt plan on using the CT as a toy hauler would I want to go with a ramp or barn doors in the back and why? I would think the barn doors would be nice becouse I could hang things from them, but the ramp would be nice to get in and out of the trailer easier. What other considerations are their?

thanks for your expert opinions
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: inside Temp CT conversion w/o air

Postby cam_tx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Where will you be camping?
I have a 7x14 CT and have yet to start working on my conversion. One of the places I camp is too rocky to sleep in a tent.
I have stayed on the floor of the CT with all the comforts of a blow up mattress and 90+ temperatures. It gets hot here in Texas.
There was enough breeze to keep comfortable with the side door open and the rear ramp down.
My plans will call for a Fantastic fan to replace the ceiling vent and a full door screen on the back and side doors. I will also be putting in windows on both side but they will not be that big.
If there is no breeze then I have to rely on a small 12VDC fan and the Fantastic fan. There is no electricity where I camp.
cam_tx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AG25 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Cam_TX

I live in CT and camp in VT and MA. So nowhere near as hot as you are used to. I want to keep my conversion as light and simple as possible.

How many hours of run time without a recharge can you get out of a deep cycle battery when using a fantastic fan?
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 am

The ramp vs doors issue I want a ramp because I need to load and unload a mobility scooter.
I also have it in the back of my mind to get a small motorized two wheeled scooter.
some people use the ramp as a porch held in position either with chains or sitting on jack stands

But the doors do give one a place to add shelves and folding tables all kinds of things.

open door with screen open windows open vent open back inside temp should equal outside temp
in a very short time, traveling with vent open and the windows cracked would help keep inside temp down
but could also allow dirt and dust to get in.

good luck
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 am

Besides your cross ventilation and insulation you might also consider coating the roof. It's been mentioned on this forum before and a reflective roof could give you a few more degrees of comfort.
Barb
Last edited by b.bodemer on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:42 pm

One of the random thoughts I've had, as I'm trying to figure out what my next build will be, is to start with a cargo trailer with a ramp. The ramp would be the floor of an attached screen room. The screen room will be for relaxing and a place to cook and eat meals. I know the ramps are strong enough to load "toys" but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough to act as a floor. Perhaps it could be brace mid-span somehow.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I have owned commercially built Toy Haulers and have used the ramp as a patio many times.
I cut some custom length chains to hold the ramp perfectly level.
Some common sense is required, we never had more than about 4 people on the ramp/patio at one time. 90% of the time it was just my Wife and I with two chairs and a small grill, cooler and some misc gear, no more than 500 pounds ever. We never had any problems.
I like being able to level it with chains rather than corner jacks, because with the chains I would just hook then up it it would be the exact same every time.
That's how I'm going to do the Adventure Trailer.
Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby CaptD » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 am

Rather than using jack stands I would use milk crates if the height was right. If more height is needed I would place boat cushions on top of the milk crates. Both the crates and boat cushions can be used for other duties as well. Capt D.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby k1hog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I was wandering the very same thing, is the ramp door strong enough for a patio floor, and I don't have the answer, but the door is supposed to be strong enough to load the HD with me on it, which is a very lot of weight, as I am a big guy.

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:00 pm

I wanted to built something that would hold my gas cans so they wouldn't turn over when traveling so I built a frame out of 2x4's that also was the correct height to put under the rear ramp to support it so I could use it like a deck.
I covered it with indoor outdoor carpet so it wouldn't scratch the paint.
It is about 4ft wide and can hold 4-5 gas cans if needed and can also store other things like my grill ect.
You have to take all the gas cans or what ever you have out before you can lift the wood frame out because it's pretty heavy but it does both things I wanted.
Now I am trying to figure out how to put a tarp over the back,the ez up is not tall enough if the ramp is used as a deck.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby 8ball_99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm

I load 1200+# machines in the back of my cargo trailer using the drop down ramp.. The ramp is 1"x1.5" steel square tubing covered with 3/4 ply and the ramp is framed with angle iron.. Yes its strong enough to use as a patio. I think mine is rated for 2500#. Not all trailers are built the same so its worth checking your own out... If its a very small single axle trailer the ramp might not be as strong.. Most trailers though have a ramp that can hold 1k+ since just a zero turn lawn mower can get close to that now days..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Pyrofish » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

To the original intent of the thread, I have a bit of experience from last weekend to offer.

64F at night, 85F during the day.

With nothing but a fantastic fan running, the inside of the insulated space remained in the high 70's all day, and was high 60's at night. CT was in partial shade most of the day, but no other vent was open. The back ramp remained closed, as did the side door. No windows, so nothing but the fan in the roof.

That said, on the last day, I opened the ramp for a bit and it cooled down to wonderful with the breeze blowing in. Just in time for better half to take a pre-camp-strike nap :)
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby cam_tx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 pm

As to how long the battery will last. Well the battery I started out with was not a deep cycle one. It was just one that I had as a spare for my truck.
I had a small cheap solar panel that would barely maintain the charge and I could go all weekend running the fan and a fluorescent shop light used while I prepared dinner. That was a long 4 day weekend.
Now I just use the cheap solar panel in the dash of the truck and have roughly 50 watts of solar power to charge the battery in the trailer. In all the time I have never had an issue with running out of power. I don't watch TV and don't try and light the world around me all night. As for walking around at night we have flashlights or the camp fire.
Where I camp there is usually a good breeze during the day so the trailer does not over heat. I did make the mistake of closing up the trailer and not having the roof vent open. After getting back from a hike the trailer was way over 110 F. It took all night to cool it back down to a level that could be tolerated.
cam_tx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AG25 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

pyrofish Cam-TX thank you for the information
AG25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby glamoree » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:47 pm

I slept in my 5x8 last June/July while at Boyscout camp here in KY. I used a battery operated fan and it was just fine at night. Better than those canvas tents they provide!
"Green Lantern Corpsman"
glamoree
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions