solar landscape lighting

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

solar landscape lighting

Postby jwhite » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 pm

I haven't paid much attention to these before but I was in walmart today and they had quite a few of these that cost $1.00 up to $10.00 so I decided to buy one for $ 5.00 just see how well it worked and I am amazed at how bright it is and how far it will shine the light.
I think for camping you can't beat it they have a a small solar cell and I think it says it will last 8-10 hours,the one I bought you can direct the light like a spot light and would be perfect to light up the place with no drain on my batteries?
I am going to buy more.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: solar landscape lighting

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 pm

I love solar lights but there are some drawbacks to be aware of. Here's what I can think of, off the top of my head:

1) As the batteries age, they weaken and the amount of time that the light stays lit will decrease.
2) On rainy days, you may not get as much sun or as good of a charge for your batteries; and therefore, the amount of time that the light stays lit will decrease.
3) Solar collectors do not collect well in shade or when obstructed by objects.
4) Don't plan to read using a solar landscape light as your light source. The eyes don't do well with it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

I used the solar lights next to the doors on my teardrop. Since I didn't think they were made to go bouncing down the road I would throw them on the dash of my tv and head out for camping. Then I put them on at my site.

Worked nice.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drcurran » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 am

Saw this idea before some place, during a power outage at home. Go outside and bring in the Solar Landscape lights 'till the power is restored. Great idea and better than a flashlight!

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions