How to make a bed raise to the ceiling solved....

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How to make a bed raise to the ceiling solved....

Postby nmwagschal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 pm

I have been reading this forum and searching the intenet to find a solution other than the $2000 kits. And i believe i have finally figured it out , I will post pics once it is complete but the solution is as follows . My rails are garage door track 4 pieces cut to fit the height i need with room for pulleys overtop of the rails. The bed moves up and down on the #1 garage door roller bolet to a frame to fit the trailer size i made mine out of 2x2 angle with 5/8 plywood as a bottom. The #1 pulley is where the cable would attatch on a garage door and i will have 4 cables going to the top of the rails to pulleys and going back down the wall through electrical conduit, the cable will go beneath the trailer and will connect to winch at some poing much like a popup trailer lifting mechanism. I plan on making it electric with a manuall backup in case the winch goes bad or something. I didnt have the option of fold up bunks since i plan on hauling two motorcycle in it and i need the full width of the trailer. With this setup i will be able to make 2 levels to lower the bed to 1 right above the motorcycle to sleep on the side of the road if needed and be able to lower it to normal height when camping and the motorcycles are out of the trailer.
The is a 7x12 cargo trailer with a combo toilet/shower and kitchen . I promise pics will come , it has been a long project but its not finished to the point i want to share it :thumbsup:
nmwagschal
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How to make a bed raise to the ceiling solved....

Postby CaptD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:41 pm

What is your finished inside height going to be? I'm thinking that I want a 7' high trailer that when finished would be around 6.5'. I also would haul motorcycles and would use E-track on the walls to make an attic above the bikes for storage and sleeping. With the E-track the height could be adjustable so when unloaded I could lower the bed as needed. Looking forward to your build. Capt D.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby nmwagschal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 pm

my inside height is 6'6" but the bed wont be able to raise all the way because of the radius or the roof and the air conditioner sticks down, but i will have enough room to ride the bikes in below it and duck to walk under the bed (i'm not tall 5'4") , i'll check and let you know exactly once its done and raised as high as it can, it looks like i will have 5'7" below the the raised bed.
nmwagschal
Teardrop Inspector

Postby k1hog » Sat May 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I would like to see the photo's!

Johnnie
k1hog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Partsman » Sat May 05, 2012 11:30 pm

I am thinking eye bolts and a motorcycle strap on each corner.
Partsman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions