Portable vs. Window AC...the never ending debate

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Portable vs. Window AC...the never ending debate

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Hey Floridia Boy

Thanks for the update ...... Glad your unit works so good for you.
Worst case I'll have to move my bed to the floor to keep cool. :lol:

Hey maybe partition the trailer in upper & lower sections , new design.
Upper for storage - lower for cool sleeping at night save 50% energy.

Cheers Jerry

Thanks! I could see where a "loft" bed may be an issue with the hot air rising.. Oh well, unless you are nocturnal, the sun is usually down and it is cooler at bedtime. :-) My bed is actually a cot. The AC seems well controlled with the thermostat and it has an energy saving mode where the fan shuts off when the compressor does, so I did not get froze out at night.

I see from your build you added a lot of solar power. I have added 200W of Solar cells and 2 115Ah Deep-cycle batteries. What do you think is optimal? I was thinking on one more 100w cell (300W total) to compensate for those cloudy days when 2 cells just aren't putting out much extra. The cells are $128 for 100W monocrystalline. They are very cheap relatively speaking these days.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm

kstephenson wrote:Image

Just thought I would add to the debate on window vs portables....lol
I went with window due to the fact I didnt have to cut any holes in my roof or walls of my trailer.....also the 90 dollar price tag was nice.
As for the durability of vibrations....I have taken this trailer down some of the roughest rockiest mountain roads the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains can throw at it. And guess what? when I get to where I m going......65 degrees in a 90 degree ambient. My unit is has seen over a dozen trips to the mountains...and going strong. If it ever fails...I stop at any Lowes...Home Depot....or Walmart....and a hundred dollars later...I m cooling. That you cant say about roof tops and portables.

Do the math....insulate your trailer good and use an economical window unit. Low power consumption...Cheap in Price....Easy to Install....Found at any major department store and Hardware Store...

Just wanted to give my 2 cents....

Happy Camping....and watch out for the bears... :)

Same AC unit.....more trips....more off roading. Still cooling great

Kevin
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 pm

I do like the way you made use of the approx. 24 cu ft. and loss of access and utility in the rear needed/lost to employ the $99.00 unit. if you are working with a set of cargo doors anyway. Rube Goldberg lemonade can be refreshing and entertaining, if you can afford it. Always best to plan ahead for failure, if that is your goal.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 am

McDave wrote:I do like the way you made use of the approx. 24 cu ft. and loss of access and utility in the rear needed/lost to employ the $99.00 unit. if you are working with a set of cargo doors anyway. Rube Goldberg lemonade can be refreshing and entertaining, if you can afford it. Always best to plan ahead for failure, if that is your goal.

McDave

No loss .... space is put to use.
I wasn’t building a toy hauler. So no need for rear door access. My plan was not to have to cut any holes in the exterior of the trailer. Mission accomplished

Rear area is used for tool storage, batteries, spare tire, axe, shovel, jack stands, shore power inlet, folding chairs, etc

Also this keeps my trailer stealth. No one knows it’s a conversion trailer. Looks like a plain enclosed cargo trailer.
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am

I like your stealth design with the inset window unit (and adjacent window). When we camp with the teardrop, we haul chairs, propane BBG, outside table and rug, extension cords, spare tire, etc. The inset space of the CT trailer would be a good place to store all of that stuff.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:18 pm

kstephenson wrote:
kstephenson wrote:Image

Just thought I would add to the debate on window vs portables....lol
I went with window due to the fact I didnt have to cut any holes in my roof or walls of my trailer.....also the 90 dollar price tag was nice.
As for the durability of vibrations....I have taken this trailer down some of the roughest rockiest mountain roads the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains can throw at it. And guess what? when I get to where I m going......65 degrees in a 90 degree ambient. My unit is has seen over a dozen trips to the mountains...and going strong. If it ever fails...I stop at any Lowes...Home Depot....or Walmart....and a hundred dollars later...I m cooling. That you cant say about roof tops and portables.

Do the math....insulate your trailer good and use an economical window unit. Low power consumption...Cheap in Price....Easy to Install....Found at any major department store and Hardware Store...

Just wanted to give my 2 cents....

Happy Camping....and watch out for the bears... :)

Same AC unit.....more trips....more off roading. Still cooling great

Kevin

Nice design for stealth. I like that utility area! BTW... There should be no debate. It is your AC, your money, and your CTC. It works great for you and your goals, and you are happy with it and that is what counts. What is there to debate? :-) Nice work!

I do resonate with the idea of being able to pull up to any town with a big box store and being able to get what is needed to fix whatever is needed right then and there! Anything mechanical or electrical will eventually fail.... and when it does, it will be when you want to use it.... and you will be glad it is easy, fast, plug and play, and inexpensive to fix the problem. Just smart if you ask me. I have not heard of too many folks pleased with RV repair centers after they eventually do get off the waiting list and take their fleecing just because it says RV before the name of whatever it is.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions