6x14-V Featherlite Horse Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x14-V Featherlite Horse Trailer Conversion

Postby Hiflyer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:47 am

aggie79 wrote:I'm a little late in catching up with your build. The wall finish and flooring look fantastic! Did you spray foam the walls?

Yep had the walls and ceiling spray foamed. No warping or deflections to be seen and made a massive difference!
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I know spray foaming has been cussed and discussed. While I haven't tried it personally, I intend to use it if I do a CT conversion.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Hiflyer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:51 pm

aggie79 wrote:Thank you for the quick response. I know spray foaming has been cussed and discussed. While I haven't tried it personally, I intend to use it if I do a CT conversion.

It gets a lot of discussion with people thinking it'll warp the skin. Mine is a featherlite trailer, and probably has a thicker skin. But no problems as of yet :)
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 am

hows the trailer coming haven't seen any pics or updates in while hope you are doing good with your build
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hiflyer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:49 pm

bc toys wrote:hows the trailer coming haven't seen any pics or updates in while hope you are doing good with your build

It's going slowly but super comfy at its current stage. Just no time!
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefb711 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Looks great, can you take more pictures of your bed lift? I am curious as to how you got it to look so clean.

Ryan
chiefb711
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hiflyer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:01 pm

chiefb711 wrote:Looks great, can you take more pictures of your bed lift? I am curious as to how you got it to look so clean.

Ryan

Ok. Will get some done next week
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefb711 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:13 am

Hiflyer wrote:

Awesome. I'm just curious as to how you lift it, if you have any mechanical assist or what. Any advice you can offer on parts or anything like that would seriously help me in my build. Thanks again!

Ryan
chiefb711
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hiflyer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 am

chiefb711 wrote:
Hiflyer wrote:

Awesome. I'm just curious as to how you lift it, if you have any mechanical assist or what. Any advice you can offer on parts or anything like that would seriously help me in my build. Thanks again!

Ryan

To lift it I use 8mm rope and 4 petzl micro traxions which are pulleys that can also capture progress, ie work in one direction only.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/self-ja ... ro-traxion

Since the weight is spread over 4 ropes you can also lift it one side at a time and walk it up by yourself.

If you wanted to make it even easier you could turn each corner into a 2:1 or 3:1 pulley system reducing the load by equal amounts :)
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefb711 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Hiflyer wrote:Ok. Will get some done next week

Hiflyer,
Any luck on the pictures? I want to see your design before I go buy anything. I've already got my aluminum and I'm ready to start building.

Ryan
chiefb711
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hiflyer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:19 pm

chiefb711 wrote:
Hiflyer wrote:Ok. Will get some done next week

Hiflyer,
Any luck on the pictures? I want to see your design before I go buy anything. I've already got my aluminum and I'm ready to start building.

Ryan

Doh! Will do tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby chiefb711 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Hiflyer wrote:
chiefb711 wrote:
Hiflyer wrote:Doh! Will do tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder

Patiently waiting. :Flippin Burger: :chips: :relaxing: :beer:
chiefb711
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hiflyer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Sorry for the delay! It's been mid 20's (C) here and decided to camp out last minute for a couple days

Still super happy with it - ran a little 700 watt heater on low as we were in the mountains and it was almost too much! I looked at mocking up my Dickinson 12000 heater, but not enough time this trip.

Bed frame pix using 1 5/8" unistrut:

The uprights are the shallower 13/16" unistrut. The bed is currently built with the deeper 1 5/8" square channel.

From the outside, the only addition was 3 bolts to hold the one side of the unistrut. As the aluminum studs in my trailer were U shaped with hollow side facing out, we put small 3" aluminum braces for the upper and lower carriage bolts. And siliconed them before installing. The middle carriage bolt goes thru a 1x3 aluminum box stud.

I tried the queen bed with only 2 horizontal supports, but it's much more solid with 3.

Angles at the tops of all 4 supports to allow a caribeaner thru to grab the eye bolt on the bedframe

You can also see we piggybacked on the holes that supported the door hinges. No extra holes to hold the back unistrut frames on :)

The dual hole supports are also at all 4 corners. I found a round-headed allen key bolt that just fit into the slot on the L brackets. All 4 corners key in when the bed is down and help lock everything into place.

To raise the bed, we hookup a micro traxion to all 4 corners and step-raise the bed 1/2 the distance at a time. Can be done with one person, but 2 is easier :)

After it's raised we lock the eyebolt to a caribeaner thru the top angle & it doesn't go anywhere!

It also makes it easy to adjust the height of the bed to whatever height along the way. I like my options

also - a quick photo from an earlier time with the bed all the way up

Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby Hiflyer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am

Time for another update...

I haven't had time to mount my dickinson heater but needed to use the trailer for a week while working.

My honda e2000 generator rocks, but it only lasts 4 hours or so when running the little electric heater. I've wanted to make an extended run kit for it for a while, just didn't want yet another thing to,bring along.

That's said yesterday I looked at the green military style jerry cans I have and lo and behold it has inside threads!

Quick trip to Home Depot and it turns out a 2" threaded abs male plug fits perfectly :)

A couple fittings and a little tubing later and I've woken up snug as a bug in a rug.

This is the jerry can:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Fuel ... /8451411.p

The threaded male plug:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-in-ab ... ipt/970176

Pix to follow as soon as I finish waking up
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby Hiflyer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Also. TV. Sorry but it's nice to flake out and watch a show or two

The good part of unistrut uprights for the bed is it gives me almost unlimited options for attaching things

One TV wall mount on a small arm later it's at the foot of the bed and fully adjustable :)

I did have to drill out the given wall side holes the mount came with but took all of 2 seconds with a drill.

Again pix when I remember during the day.
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions