Postby poordad » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 am

very nice work :applause:
looking in as many places as possible
poordad
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Poppy's Toybox / Toyhauler Build

Postby Prem » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am

dirtclod,

NICE! I especially like the king-size bed option and the diamond plate quarter panels. :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for the kind words fella's

It really means alot to me to know that you "Experts" approve of the work. :worship:

It really has been a labor of love. I saw the builds that some of you have done and really was inspired to make on of my own. Still not totally through (Dont know if I will ever be) and will keep posting up pics as I go.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby tnriverluver » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Wait until you get to start using it a lot in RV campgrounds. I have so much fun showing people with their mega $$$$$$ campers all about how and what I did to build my trailer. Many of them are actually envious of all I am able to do with my little camper that they could never even consider with their mega campers :lol: It never fails every time I take it camping that I have at least 5-6 different campers come over and want to check it out.
tnriverluver
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 am

Dirtclod wrote:I picked up a 3X5 laminate sheet at the local big box hardware store and made a countertop for the cabinets on the front. For some reason I didnt take a pic of that but you can see it in some of the other pics.

Beds:

I wanted 2 fold up beds that were big enough that you didnt feel like you would fall of if you rolled over so I went bought a King size Spa Senstations mattress Wallyworld and cut it into 3 pieces, 2 @ 30 inch wide 75 long and one at 20 wide 75 long. The idea was that I would have 2 foldout beds 30 wide if me and the boys go and a 20 inch piece that I can set in the middle and make a king size bed for me and momma when she goes. Made them out of 1/2 plywood with additial strips on the bottom for strength and allow for the hinge screws. I added carpet to them so the cushions wouldnt sit on wood and gate latches to hold them up. Side peices are 2X8 that were carpeted and bolted to the wall. Top pieces are the same laminate i used for the countertop and really come in handy for nightstands. Great place to put your glasses, book, beer, whatever before falling asleep

Dirtclod,
Just to clarify things in my head, are you saying that all you used for the bed was 1/2" plywood with strips? And that this is more then enough to support the weight that will go on it? Were the strips 1/2" plywood also?
Thanks,
Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Bob

Yes, the beds are 1/2 birch 5 ply plywood and the strips that you see are also 1/2 Birch plywood. They are glued and stapled with 3/4 inch long narrow crown staples to the underside of the platform. I was kinda surprised at how strong they are too.

So far they have held up nicely. The wife and I are not huge folks but we had atlest 350 lbs on the bed and it didnt budge. I am sure that having one side rest on the fender wells and the other side on 4 legs really helped to stiffen it up a bit.

I havent tested with any more than about 225 on each single bunk though. So far so good. If you want better pics or more dtails let me know
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Great. I may copy your design or at least use it as a close guide if I go with a 7 foot wide trailer. I am pretty sure that is the width I am going with and I could use a setup for the bedding like you have posted.
Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

Dirtclod,
While I do not have a motorcycle today, I am designing the interior of my planned CT to accommodate one should I ever get one.

My question on your design is: What distance did you end up getting between the bunks when folded up? If I go for the width of a Can-Am, I need at least 60 inches. I assume your interior was a standard 80" wide interior and you did not take much away when you added the insulation and wall covering. I see that a full dress Harley would go in ok, but I want to prepare for a 3-wheeler just in case.

Thanks,
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Lrrowe

The bunks are 7 inches deep X 2 and the interior was 80 inches to start so that leaves 66 inches between the two bunks. I actually was planning on a Polaris RZR 2 seater one day so I made sure it would fit one of those too (61 inch wide).

We have had 3 1000 cc dual purpose bikes in there several times and a 4 wheeler and a dirt bike once and it seems to hold them just fine. Well except for the last trip and one got loose and broke thru the lower panel of the coat closet :x
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info.
And sorry about the mishap in the CT. Hopefully the repairs will not be too bad.
Bob
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby roadinspector » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Dirtclod,
That really sucks! :cry: I got really luck when my bike lost a strap, it just ended up leaning against a wall. Only damage was it scratching the plywood and cracked a mirror. Man I hate when that happens. :x Just lucky there was no other damage to yours or mine. Hope its easy to fix.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Damage was really pretty minimal. The handlebar poked out the lower panel on the coat closet door. It was only glued in place so it popped right out. The "carbon fiber" vinyl got a big gouge in it so I just peeled the old vinyl off and stuck some on the panel and this time stapled and glued it back in. Looks as good as new. :thumbsup:

Its so dang nice I hate to even put a muddy bike in there. Maybe I need to build another one to actually use .. :lol:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby tnriverluver » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 pm

I haul a Goldwing and several other large streetbikes in mine. Firm believer in never enough straps. Always 2 sets on the front and 2 on the rear and if possible the way I am loaded I run one from wall to wall in the center. Also run a strap though your rear wheel so it cannot move sideways from the bouncing around. I rearended an SUV in St Louis 2 years ago headed to Sturgis on rain slick roads. Nothing moved in the trailer after a pretty good impact.
tnriverluver
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:10 am

ha good work; different from what I did; bit I really like how the carpeting turned out; that will make for a great sound and scuff resistant surface; you've got lots of room to work with. Nice to pull you nice KTM that im a little envious of; Are you going to pull that to the Dakar Rally in Jan 2014 in Chilie??? Cheers BC Dave ps Im envious because Iv got a 6X10 and a xt 225... ;) good on ya for getting some nice s... I mean stuff oh and a couple of Ducati Monsters too; one red & white striped 4 sale too s2r 800 06 7K mi for $7k; interested?.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby expensivehobby22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

I love the look of the interior of your trailer. It's exactly what I had in mind myself.

Any more info on the actual process of carpeting the walls? How is it holding up?
expensivehobby22
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions