2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Postby McDave » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Very, very nice. So obviously you both believe these conversions are a worthwhile endeavour. That says a lot given the amount of actual camping you get in compared to most of us. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I really enjoy my trailer and the build. These things are so very personalized no two are close to alike.
It's really a shame the manufactures don't do a better job with the wiring. Mine was just terrible, much worse than what I see there. I'm glad I found out before it was too late, but if I had not decided to do the conversion I wouldn't have known till I saw the flames in my mirror!
Well Congratulations. I look forward to this build. People with your kind of experience camping could teach the rest of us a thing or two.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 am

That's gonna be sweet Cindy. I still think about "moving up" to a 7X14 every winter, and doing a couple or three things a little different (better), but then I get busy, and before I know it spring has arrived and I'm loading it up for another season. Good luck on getting things ready to roll in the new year.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby J.Pierson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Your first build is still definitely one of my favorites. I'm excited to see your new trailer come together!
J.Pierson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Life and bad weather have gotten in the way of getting much done on the CT, but we finally got the second window installed today. Before installing the windows we cut the ribs and welded the window frames in. We redid the manufacturer's wiring connections and added grommets, then added our own wiring circuits. We also put in the water inlet, an outdoor porch light, a second lock hasp to lock the bar back when we are inside, and the port for the stove pipe. All of those are easier to put in before the walls are finished. Then it all had to be caulked, insulated, taped, and foam sill seal taped over the metal ribs and framing. Whew! Insulating and doing the walls, wiring, and windows sounds so easy.....and takes so loooong! :?

We only caulked the floor seams where they met the side walls. We didn't caulk any of the outer siding seams. I think it is important that the sides be somewhat open to allow moisture to escape.

Here is one of the window frames shimmed out to make full wall width. You can also see that the insulation is taped and strips of sill seal are over the ribs and other metal framing.

It isn't visible in this picture, but I did frame (wood) around the water inlet before I insulated. The frame provides something to screw into when putting the outer cover in place.

Here is a picture of the window and water inlet on this side.

And the window, outside light, second hasp, and stove pipe port.

I didn't do any pictures of us cutting out the skin and plywood for the windows. We were too busy between storms just trying to get them in. Basically we cut the outer skin out first with a metal cutoff saw. Then set the plywood in place on the inside so we could scribe it. Then we cut it with a circular saw on the straights and a jig saw on the corners. Put the inside wood back up. Set the window in place and screwed the trim ring in. Oh we also put the putty tape on the window before we put it in.

I think that is most of the steps we have done so far. We have a long long way to go yet. At least as we finish the next steps it will look like we have done something! :lol:

I still have the front to wire and enclose. Then if it warms up enough we will put in the roof vent. After that comes insulating, installing lights, and putting up the ceiling panels. If the weather is still nasty, we'll start framing the bed and kitchen cabinets.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: 2017 Mirage XPO 7x16 - New Mt Air Express

Postby Rainier70 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, life got in the way, and we were gone for the majority of the winter. Now we are really scrambling to get this trailer in campable condition. We have done a lot of wiring, insulating, and caulking and still have more to do. That seems to take forever, and still doesn't look like anything has been done. We have gotten a lot done lately, but I have not taken the time to post regular updates. I will attempt to add to this over the next few days.

After the wiring, insulating, caulking and windows came the vent framing. We decided to put two vents in this trailer. It's a good thing that Ron is an excellent welder and fitter.

Here is the first vent frame being welded in.

And with it's wires for lights and fan

Also we taped up the back corners where the little panel by the doors provides access to the back light wiring.

Since it is an access panel we didn't caulk and seal it with wood. We used a roofing drip edge for a corner molding. It leaves the screws accessible, and the panel can be pulled out from under it.

That's all I have time for right now. I will add more later.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 am

ON the outside are propane tanks and HF toolbox,

And two 100 watt Grape solar panels.

The beginning of the queen bed frame and seat that boxes in the 20 gal water tank.

Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:47 pm

On this build I decided to keep the wires above the top rail. That would put them in the cove space between the wall and ceiling. The problem with them sitting down in the top rail is that the top rail is a good place to anchor things like walls and cabinets. If the wires are running in the top rail then there is a good chance they will get hit with screws when hanging cabinets. So I put Command hooks on the curved ceiling ribs and zip tied the wires to them.

Here is one of the Command hooks before I have finished the insulation and pulled the wires up.

This is a picture of the wires zip tied up. The ceiling is not fully screwed in yet and the cover is not on the interior of the stove pipe port. Many many details yet to do.

The battery box, fuse panel, solar controller, and wire port will all be enclosed in a cabinet on this side.

Here is the outside battery vent:

Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Here is the somewhat temporary stove corner.

Also the temporary interior door handle and lock. Quite a few things are temporary since I have needed to take the trailer camping a few times already. So the most needed jobs get attention first, and lesser things have been put into place as needed.

Which brings us to the temporary counter top, sink, and faucet! :lol:

At least I do have the gas struts mounted on the underbed storage area. The old pink sheet (one of our daughter's left behinds) is "temporary" to keep the dirt of construction off of the bed.

Since the hubby is in Arizona helping a daughter with a kitchen countertop project, I cobbled together a deadman support for putting the ceiling panels up. I had four 2x2 frames from some garage shelves that we replaced. I put two together on the bottom with some 1x2s and a scrap of plywood for stablity, then topped each side with the two other frames that I c-clamped in place so that it would be easy to take apart and out of the trailer.

Here it is with the first panel and an old towel for finish protection.

From there the panels were easy to push up and into position with push sticks. It also made it very easy to put the wires for lights through their holes.

Two are up. I did apply finish to them before I put them up.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Sun May 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Oh that's gonna be nice! Did you sell the old one yet?
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks! This build isn't going to be a toy hauler, so it should be easier to put some nicer finishing touches in. If we ever get to that point! :shock: :lol:

No, we haven't gotten around to repainting the inside of the older one yet. It is on the to do list!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun May 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Rainier70, Howdy;

Wow! Cindy, you are a handy person, thinking about the ceiling jack is truly a well thought out
doozit. BZ (Bravo Zulu in Navy speak ='s Well Done!!!)
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MrBo » Mon May 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Looking great! Well done! :applause: The finishing touches is the fun stuff... have fun! :D
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 am

Nice! I'm watching and learning.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm

I have gotten the front cabinet area rough framed in. The battery box, solar controller, and 12v fuse panel are on the lower right. The freezer is in the middle, and the bathroom/shower will be on the left. I do have flooring, but it will be put in after most of the rough work is done and some of the mess is out.

The battery box is in a pull out tray. Ignore the temporary wiring mess. I just got a new solar controller and was roughing it in. Connections will be with Anderson Plugs when done.

When the battery box is pushed back in there is a hook and eye to keep it in place. It is just to the left of the "tunnel of light" in this next picture. :lol:

The freezer also pulls out and is secured with a hook and eye.

This area on the left will be the shower/bathroom. The closet and shelf above the freezer doors will open into this area.

After finishing shelves and facings, there will be doors on all of this. (I like to hide my messes! :D ) The door to the freezer and on each side of it will have a decorative grate so that air can circulate in there. As you can see I have some things hanging and on the shelves. It is a little harder to work around, but I keep the CT packed as I use it and build when I get time.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I like the direction your build is going..

It looks like you plan on having a curb for this shower.

Its to bad you have to rush the build because dead lines are stressful.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions