2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 2013 Mirage XPO 6x12- Mt Air Express

Postby hankaye » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 pm

Rainier70, Howdy;

I think you are doing an extreamly outstanding job with the new trailer. The lessons
you learned from the first are showing with this one.
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: , :D .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: 2017 Mirage XPO 7x16- Mt Air Express

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks, Hank! This build is considerably different since I built it as a camper only and not to haul the motorcycles. That alone makes a huge difference in floor plan and design possibilities. This one is just to keep me in comfort while adventuring.

One other thing that I have found very helpful is a shoe organizer next to the door. It's great for collecting all of the "stuff" that seems to go in and out and otherwise ends up on a counter somewhere. I have all kinds of things collecting in mine; binoculars, a weather radio, flashlight, hand sanitizer, wipes, levels, sunglasses, reading glasses, camera, phone, keys and on and on. :? Oh and occasionally a few shoes. :lol:

Image"

My magnetic mosquito net "screen door" is tied back out of the way next to it.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brianjonesphoto » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Cindy
I just spend the time to read trough your build thread. Lots of good ideas. Thanks for contributing to the collective.

I’m leaning heavily towards a mirage trailer as they seem well built, readily available in the northwest and priced competitively. Besides the fake screws is there anything you regret about the way mirage builds their trailers? I will be doing a custom order so it will spec real screws.

Secondly I see you when with much bigger windows on your bigger trailer. I was thinking 22x30 windows, but only to save a bit of money. Now I’m thinking I should just do a pair 46x22 windows over the axles. Any experienced input would be appreciated.

For an 18footer do you feel 2 roof vents are needed? I was thinking of having 2 vents one possibly a maxxair mainly for the rain protection and maybe I’ll use your computer fan idea for the other.

Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mirage XPO-7X16 Mt Air Express

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Over all I like the Mirage trailers. Like most trailer manufacturers the quality may depend on what day of the week and who worked on it.

With the new one we had to take it back to the dealer to have the rear doors aligned, one was set in slightly crooked so it leaked. They repaired it quickly. Other than that it has been pretty good. I do like that they use full box ribs. I think that they are stronger than the z or c ribs, and I like the plywood walls better than strand board.

Other things we redid: Paint the ribs behind the walls and undercoat the frame. Their paint on the frame chips easily, and the frame starts to rust quickly if you don't. We also replaced the scotch locks that they used on the wiring and lined the wire holders (washers) so that the wires don't rub. I pretty much consider those issues standard with just about every trailer manufacturer.

With both of our trailers we bought off the lot, because we needed it sooner than a custom build could be delivered. Mirage has good prices on their windows. I can't remember the size, if I remember I will measure them tomorrow. We bought our windows from Mirage and put them in ourselves. My husband is a retired welder, fitter etc so it was easy for us to put the framing in for the windows and the vents.

We are using a Heng fan in the front vent with a rain cover. The rear vent is just regular. The fan in the front is strong enough to push or pull air in or out of the other vent or the windows. When I am cooking I open the window behind the stove and put the fan that is in the front vent on reverse medium, so that it pushes everything right out the window. I don't have to use my extra computer fan for ventilation at all. I do like having both vents, but I don't use the one in the back as much. The one in the front is almost always open a few inches since it has a rain cover.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Yes, our windows are the larger ones. 46 X 22. I do love the large windows. They take up some wall space, but are well worth it.

Just a quick add: The screens on my windows slide also. So with the larger size they can be a handy pass through or an emergency exit if needed.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions