heater recommendations

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: heater recommendations

Postby bdosborn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:37 pm

eBay.

D1LC Linky

The shipping from England isn't as bad as you think it would be so don't limit your search to the US.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Little R » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks, when I was looking for a glow plug there were none available so I put the heater in a box and ordered the Atwood 7916. The Atwood has been a good heater.
Its louder than I would like, but it is sure nice to stay warm and dry!
Little R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:21 pm

rdemler wrote:Aside from the noise,does anyone have any opinions on a generator for running heaters and everything else that might be needed.I'm kinda looking at a honda 2000.I've heard they were super quiet and dependable.Would kinda solve most problems I'm reading about 12v and heaters.Most of my camping would be done in Montana and the U.P. of Michigan and away from campgrounds.Any thoughts on them??

When I power up my 120v space heater producing 750 watts on low and 1,500 watts on high, my Honda 2000i generator revs up to about 75% and 100% of maximum rpms, respectively, in which case the generator is loud and obnoxiously loud, respectively.

Of course, when the generator is idling, the generator is relatively quiet.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deceiver » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:35 pm

rdemler wrote:I'm waiting on my 7x14 deep vee nose to get here so I'm thinking of options.I'm looking for ideas on the best way to go for heating.It will be insulated and vented.I was thinking a portable heater of some kind that runs on gas with no fan needed.I'm also wondering how much ventilation is needed for a trailer this size with a gas heater.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.Thank you!!

An older thread here but the simplest method (and inexpensive) is to go to a big box store and get an electric baseboard heater. They have them at 110v (US) I have a 1000 watt, but a 750 might still be overkill for most small cargo trailers. Add a socket to the outside wall to plug it in if you don't already have internal 110v wiring. Get a heater mounted thermostat.
A 1000 watt heater will heat a bedroom in a house. It does a good job in my camper. Of course we mostly camp at electricity available state parks or use the generator if need be.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm in Montana and when I am boondocking I have a Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater that does a super job in my 6 x 12, and requires no power. They produce no harmful amounts of carbon monoxide. The recommended venting is to raise the roof vent 1/4 to 1/2 inch (14 x 14) and to open a window 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Catalytics don't have a flame, they work by chemical reaction when gas and air are brought together in the presence of platinum, but they do use oxygen so you need to let some in. These are radiant heaters that heat objects much like the suns rays heat objects. It is a very effective way to heat and quiet and comfy. 99.98% efficient as opposed to flame heaters that are about 55-60% efficient.
Here is a PDF with all the information.
http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadfile ... le_id/575/

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm

McDave wrote:I'm in Montana and when I am boondocking I have a Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater that does a super job in my 6 x 12, and requires no power. They produce no harmful amounts of carbon monoxide. The recommended venting is to raise the roof vent 1/4 to 1/2 inch (14 x 14) and to open a window 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Catalytics don't have a flame, they work by chemical reaction when gas and air are brought together in the presence of platinum, but they do use oxygen so you need to let some in. These are radiant heaters that heat objects much like the suns rays heat objects. It is a very effective way to heat and quiet and comfy. 99.98% efficient as opposed to flame heaters that are about 55-60% efficient.

McDave

Do you notice moisture buildup inside when you run it or does the venting take care of it? I keep reading/watching conflicting stories on catalytic vs vented.
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Burning propane will generate carbon dioxide and water. Catalytic or not, the chemical process is the same. Mixing propane and oxygen can only generate this outcome. This in not nuclear fusion or fission.

Catalytic burners do not generate a flame and are considered safer. The surface is hot (600-800F) and would ignite paper (451F), cotton (491F), rayon (790F)
but not wool (1050-1110F) or polyester (1040F). It will burn skin.

Burning one pound of propane generates about 1 gallon of water. A mr buddy heater burn 1 lb in 1.5 to 6 hours depending on the settings.

Heaters with heat exchanges eg Propex or a diesel heater have the combustion in a separate compartment. Water/carbon dioxide/carbon monoxide and any other incomplete combustion byproducts are vented to the environment. The heat is transferred in.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 am

Here is another vote for the NuWay vented propane heater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKBF-mDnt28

And another test at -15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8viIQBZSE
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 am

PrecisionLook612 wrote:
McDave wrote:I'm in Montana and when I am boondocking I have a Wave 3 Catalytic Safety Heater that does a super job in my 6 x 12, and requires no power. They produce no harmful amounts of carbon monoxide. The recommended venting is to raise the roof vent 1/4 to 1/2 inch (14 x 14) and to open a window 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Catalytics don't have a flame, they work by chemical reaction when gas and air are brought together in the presence of platinum, but they do use oxygen so you need to let some in. These are radiant heaters that heat objects much like the suns rays heat objects. It is a very effective way to heat and quiet and comfy. 99.98% efficient as opposed to flame heaters that are about 55-60% efficient.

McDave

Do you notice moisture buildup inside when you run it or does the venting take care of it? I keep reading/watching conflicting stories on catalytic vs vented.

I have never had a problem with condensation in any form. There really is no conflict with the venting issue, both types are "vented". Either a direct vent or via the recommended rooftop/window method. However, only one way assures fresh air will enter the cabin.
troubleScottie wrote:Burning propane will generate carbon dioxide and water. Catalytic or not, the chemical process is the same. Mixing propane and oxygen can only generate this outcome. This in not nuclear fusion or fission.

This is also the exact outcome of human respiration or breathing. No need to throw up alarm flags here. Again, these by-products are vented and replaced with fresh air via rooftop/window method. The propex system looks to be effective and safe, however I have no personal experience with the system so I am not qualified to speak to that. They do require an additional power source to operate the igniter, safety valve and fan are a more complex and expensive system to purchase, install and maintain. So......
McDave
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions