8x18 Toy Hauler / Camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 8x18 Toy Hauler / Camper

Postby PigTrail » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:54 pm

So for several years we've been tent camping and now trailer camping with a rough shower setup. My wife will ride, hike, and generally go anywhere with me as long as she can shower each day. I don't mind it either.

We have a little shower tent from Wal-mart that has held up well. It looks like this.

We heat water in a pot on the stove and pour it into one of those solar shower bags because they never get very hot in the sun.

This setup is cheap and effective, but takes a while and is no fun in the dark. On rides that bring us back to camp after dark we're usually trading cooking duty for showers in the RV of our regular camping friends.

We will beg for showers no more!

I ordered a Triton 5L hot water on demand system and am setting out to make a compact-ish carrier to hold a propane tank and house the pump, heating unit, hoses, and provide a place to set shower items. Stay tuned.

Triton 5L unit
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:50 pm

I started with a few sketches on the legal pad and made a trip to the local metal supply shop for a few sticks of 14 gauge 1" square tubing. BTW, bulk metal places are waaay cheaper than Lowe's or HD. At bulk places it's less than $1/ft and at the local hardware it's $3-4/ft.

The shower stand needs to hold a 20lb propane tank, the pump, heater, hoses, assorted shower gear, and be sturdy enough to stand upright alone. Some wheels so it can be rolled in and out of the trailer will be a nice touch. When set up it will sit next to the outdoor Wal-Mart shower tent to provide on demand hot water.

With a few measurements and cuts I started to frame each side. It's 42" by 16" to make an opening at the base of 14" square to fit a standard propane tank. They are 12" across.

Putting the base together with some right angle forms.

Here's the pump and Triton unit on my workbench.

This is the unit as it sits now.

The Triton unit will mount closest to the camera on the two cross beams. The 2 upright beams that are close together will hold the pump. The propane tank will sit in the bottom on a base that is yet to be built. Lawnmower wheels will be used so you can tilt and roll.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby RandomAbstract » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 am

Following
RandomAbstract
Teardrop Builder

Postby PigTrail » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:05 pm

To keep the propane tank in position I ordered one of these brackets from etrailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/2020-JR.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1NWnBRDchObfnYrbo78BEiQA-2jqBXGzMWOhAimumVDi0DPUF2RmPkiEvmJXO6aiV6xs7hMaAjBc8P8HAQ

Here it is in the flesh with a standard 20lb propane tank.

With some additional bracing the bracket was integrated into the stand.

Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Where'd those wheels come from? Here is a close-up.

I used a few scrap pieces of 1" square and welded the nuts inside a hole drilled in he side.

The wheels are Lowe's lawn mower wheels. I think they were just a few $/each. I positioned them so that when the stand is upright they are just off the ground. As you tilt it forward they quickly contact the ground and allow easily rolling.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm

I added a bit of sheet metal to the top to provide a shelf. Here's a shot after attaching the shower unit, propane tank, and pump. I still need to add the hoses and probably a few brackets to hold hoses out of the way when it's wound up and put away.

Back side. I used black engine enamel paint. It holds well and looks good.

Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby MyYota85 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:32 pm

The cabinets look really great. Is it all 3/4 plywood? What are the doors?
MyYota85
Teardrop Builder

Postby 225 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:24 am

What are your A/C plans?
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Propane shower on a dolly, you actually have given me a ass kicking good idea for another "over the top" project , let me think on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thinking: some more :applause:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:54 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Propane shower on a dolly, you actually have given me a ass kicking good idea for another "over the top" project , let me think on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thinking: some more :applause:

I worked in maple syrup for a few years. We had an portable instant hot water tank on a hand truck. Tank sat on "skid and heater mounted on top. We used it for cleaning not boiling. Wood was used to get to a certain % and then we'd put it in barrels. As time space allowed we'd -final boil and bottle with propane. It was a fun job and tasty.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby munchmeister » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:42 am

:applause: Superb!
PigTrail wrote:I added a bit of sheet metal to the top to provide a shelf. Here's a shot after attaching the shower unit, propane tank, and pump. I still need to add the hoses and probably a few brackets to hold hoses out of the way when it's wound up and put away.

[url=http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kilbyr/media/8x18%20Trailer/20150301_222228_zpsjhp3yttn.jpg.html]Image[/url
munchmeister
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PigTrail » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 am

After a short hiatus I'm back to slowly improving this trailer. We're planning a 10 day trip in the spring to hike and ride bikes in Utah, so a few more additions are planned.

I started with upper front storage.

Cutouts were made from plywood.

I used a variety of Stanley metal brackets to attach to the counter and back wall.

With the addition of shelves (also plywood) and a 1"x2" piece for the front trim I was ready to mount up lights. I choose the 12v LED strip lights found on Amazon. The "waterproof" ones have a silicon coating that makes them a little more durable, so I went with those. They are $9 for a 16' roll.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66JO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I previously ran a hot-wire up towards the ceiling above my small front control panel in anticipation of installing these lights. The black up-down strip on the upper right is 1/2" conduit holding the wires for the lights coming down from the ceiling. Tapping into this should make easy wiring for the upper level. Both are on a single switch on the panel at front. The lights have a sticky backing, but I used super-glue at the corners and turns to make sure they stay in place.

I ordered two sets of lights, so the next step will be to finish out the upper area and light it too.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 pm

If I need a single piece of metal I can always get items from the hardware section at Lowe's or Home Depot. However, for bulk metal when starting a new project I look up my local metal supplier and make a visit. I usually squeeze my little pickup between those oil service trucks and gooseneck trailers for my little load of 50' of 14ga square 1". At most places they'll throw in a few cuts to make the pieces small enough to fit in your truck. Most metal suppliers sell 24' sticks, so I have them cut down to 6' or a tad more depending on the project. It costs me a whopping $47 at a little less than $1/ft. At Lowe's this same product is ~$4/ft or $200 for 50'.

Metal...

So what are we building?

I'm planning a fold-down bench from the drivers side just forward of the murphy bed.

See drawing here:

To hold the bench in the appropriate up or down position I picked up one of these from rufftstuff.com. They have several items that can help your fabrication efforts and at good prices too.

Here's my inspiration:

http://www.wr-products.com/products/wrp-fold-up-trailer-bench
Last edited by PigTrail on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Your steel prices are great. And you may talk one guy into one cut but it's normally $10, per!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby kyron » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:17 pm

any finished pics of the hot water "dolly" ?

I really like that idea !
kyron
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions