'SNO ESCAPE, New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 'SNO ESCAPE, New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:37 pm

I look forward to your trailer purchase and this coming to fruition! Will be pretty slick.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Adam,

My wife and I are at the age that we are looking to move to something larger than our teardrop. I really like what you've done with your conversion and hope to do the same myself some day. Could you say what brand or where you got your murphy brackets?

Thank you,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 pm

A little pricey, but they fit the bill so perfectly.

http://www.busrvparts.com/bunks-fold_away.htm

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Six Feet Under » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 pm

How did you secure the grey water tank in the frame area?
Six Feet Under
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:06 am

Six Feet Under wrote:How did you secure the grey water tank in the frame area?

Screwed the tank flange to the floor. This will keep the tank from sliding. The weight will be supported with straps. I will snap a picture when I put the straps on.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 am

Another successful night. I had two items planned for the evening. Extend the bed legs so I could mount them and enclose the ramp door spring so I can run my interior lights up to it.

It was raining when I got home, but the radar showed it should end soon. I started on the legs first. Flipped the bed down and measured both sides to see how much I needed to extend them. I cut the cuts noting how much the blade removed as it cut, then cut my extension pieces to the length they needed to be. Clamped them to the table using a piece of thick flat stock assist keeping them straight, checked there alignment and them welded them together.

After they were cool I cleaned the bare metal and welds with denatured alcohol and hit them with Krylon crystal clear so they wouldn't rust. I'll paint them some day when the time is available

To enclose the spring I rough cut the vertical piece, scribed it, re-cut, scribed re-cut, etc until it fit the way I liked. I then riveted a 3/4" square aluminum tube to the back of it. Yeah, we rivet wood around here LOL!

I then traced the curve onto pieces of strapping to make a "nailer" and cut them making sure I allowed clearance for my square tube.

Mounted the "nailers"

Screwed the face piece on

Then measure and cut the bottom piece. Measured the cable locations in the up and down position and cut out opening for them. I riveted this piece to the square tube and them screwed it to the trailer frame just inside the door. This is the finished piece

Just enough clearance to look planned LOL!

Starting to really look like a camper

Before I headed home from work earlier I bent a couple mock up light fixtures in a few sizes copying an idea I saw on these forums.

This is how it will come into the spring cover. I will make it a bit shorter, 1 7/8" overall height, to not hang below the spring cover

More tasks tonight with help from Vicki!

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Six Feet Under » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Jiffypop207 wrote:
Six Feet Under wrote:How did you secure the grey water tank in the frame area?

Screwed the tank flange to the floor. This will keep the tank from sliding. The weight will be supported with straps. I will snap a picture when I put the straps on.

Adam

I see. I thought of screwing the tank flange to the frame myself, and laying the plywood floor over it, but I didn't want to the floor to be unlevel because of it.
Six Feet Under
Teardrop Inspector

Postby roadinspector » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:16 pm

I used slats to support my ceiling insulation too. It also gave me room for another layer between the slats then installed 1/4" plywood for ceiling. Worked great! You have a nice clean build!!
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 am

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

Busy late night last evening. Chase an electrical ghost for a bit. More to come on that later as I am not sure I will get it fixed before my trip. Carpet! Carpeted the walls finally last night. Nice not looking at the plywood backing on the walls any more.

Then it was time to install the lights on the sides. I bent these up before heading home from work....my light fixtures/top moldings

Mounted in place and trimmed to match the wall by the bathroom over the door. You can see the led strip in place. I stuck them to the upper side so the lights would point down instead of out.

Then we cut ceiling lights panel strips to fit and slid them in. Here is a close up of the finished light project

Here they are on. Also you can see the tv is mounted, the switches are in place and the drawer knobs are on

Looking the part. Decent sized punch list of need to's and would be nice to's to get done tonight

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby WoodSmith » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:36 am

Those look great, and solve the continuing problem of making the wall to ceiling transition look good.

How did you cut the diffuser, that stuff is pretty brittle isn't it?

Can you dim those light strips?

WS
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 am

Cut it on the table saw. Normal pace was fine, but just need to slow down for the last couple inches to more melt than cut or it has a tendency to snap and leave a clipped corner. Not dimable as of yet. May look into it sometime, but if I want less light I will use others on the ceiling.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 am

Love the lights! She looks just about ready for her maiden voyage. Good luck and have a great time.
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby funengineer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 am

Sorry if you covered this already but what product did you use for your ceiling panel? It looks to be the prefinished handling available at the big box stores. Nice job on the trailer.
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jiffypop207 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:08 am

funengineer wrote:Sorry if you covered this already but what product did you use for your ceiling panel? It looks to be the prefinished handling available at the big box stores. Nice job on the trailer.

You are correct. That is exactly what it is.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Long over due pictures of my Gray water tank mounting.

I screwed the flange up to the floor plywood to keep it in place to mount the straps but to also keep the tank from sliding.

I used flat stock with the holes in it to make the straps. I put some Vycor windoe flashing on them to aid in chaffige reduction. I screwed each each of each strap to the side of a frame rail with 2 #14 self-tapping hex head stainless steel screws.

I have left the tank partially full on the last trip home and emptied it once back. There were no issues doing so with the water weight.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions