'SNO ESCAPE, New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New to me 7x14 CT conversion

Postby lrrowe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:52 am

Ditto!
I will use slats also.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 am

Is there any update pics of this build liking it so far
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiffypop207 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:45 am

bc toys wrote:Is there any update pics of this build liking it so far

Not yet. Switched gears.....Bought a new bike and have been having fun outfitting it. Soon though!!

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby JWG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Lots of good ideas, thanks for sharing. I sure need to get started on mine.
JWG
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chiefb711 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Jiffypop207 wrote:
Not yet. Switched gears.....Bought a new bike and have been having fun outfitting it. Soon though!!

Adam

Same thing happened to me...I got a new truck so I've switched gears and I'm outfitting the new truck. Fun! I'm really waiting until the weather to heat back up a little to make some more headway on mine.

Your build is looking good so far though!

Ryan
chiefb711
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 am

"Blizzard" in route.....will have to dig out the project!

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm

I just finished reading this entire thread. Your project looks GREAT! I am looking to do a similar build for my 6x12 and Street Glide. Keep up the good work. I will be following along for sure. Looking forward to the time when we can take these out and enjoy some riding/camping time! Hope I don't get too old first. Thank you for all your efforts in documenting this build, it is motivating to see somebody do such good work.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:24 pm

After a winter hiatus I actually got some work done on the trailer today with the help of my girlfriend. Over the winter I decide to use a wall ac and put a fantastic fan. I purchased a fantastic fan shroud for the out side and today made the swap.

Off come the roof ac

Fantastic fan in place

Then I installed a couple rain caps for my fridge vents that I had ordered. Today we finished pulling all the wiring in the walls.

Flooring and ceiling are on deck.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Will the fridge be in a cabinet backing up to the vents? Or freestanding?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 am

The fridge will be in a cabinet.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Finally got a near full weekend to work on the trailer. Stole the wall mounted AC from my donor Aliner, found the best spot for it, framed the hole in steel tubing and got it mounted. I put it near the side entry door, which is close to mid length of the wall, but thankfully not directly across from the bed.

Here it is mounted looking from the inside.

And a couple shots from the outside without the storage cover on it.

Next day we started to insulate the ceiling with the second layer (3/4") of rigid insulation over the first layer, over the metal framing, and in between the strappings.

Had to do some carving for some wires to reduce potential imperfections in how the ceiling laid down. Used a hole saw to make room for wire and connections at light and junction locations.

Installed the ceiling. It is paneling that has a slight v-match effect to it. I will cover the stapling with battens after the wall finish is complete. Installed the fantastic vent inner trim ring. Pleasantly surprised to discover it was the perfect thickness and I did not need to trim it down or have to figure out a way to cover a gap.

Seeing the motivation was flowing strong, we jumped into the flooring installation. After deciding which direction the grain looked better, side to side or front to back, I started on the side door wall as I did not want the finish rip on that side.

Despite much frustration because it turns out a few random boards were not square from the factory, 1/4" out of square over the 6" width of the board, we got the entire floor done with only one full board left over from what I purchased.

We got up the next day and moved the cabinets into their respectful spaces. I could have moved them forward and 1" or so more, but the vents in the wall for the fridge made the placement solid and we adjusted the cabinets accordingly. We then moved the bed frame in as well as the tilt brackets to be sure they were in fact going to fit inside the trailer. They are close to the back, but they are in. I will have to take the lift assist cable off on the bed side so it does not cause damage to the bed frame when it is in the upright position. Should be able to still lift the ramp fine. Starting to look like something with all that in there.

I also needed to set things roughly in place that required LP to function. I planned on running a gas trunk line under the cabinets with stub-ups roughly near the appliances that need it. I will make a copper line to connect each device to their stubs when I install them. We measured and made a diagram of what the trunk line needed to be and headed off to the Depot to get the parts as well as some wood and sheet goods that will be used to make the fridge/electrical center surround, the water closet walls, and the under bed storage and battery compartment. It took awhile to assemble the parts in the store I needed for the trunk line, so after we grabbed some dinner, came home and called it a night.

Tonight it fitted all the piping together, made the trunk line, and verified in the trailer it would work with the stubs located as I previously calculated.

One upright

Second

Third

And the forth and final

Then I made some "feet" so I could fasten it to the floor as well as keep it upright.

That is a stub-up for the tank less hot water heater, the cook top, the furnace, and the 3-way fridge. Time for bed. More to come.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Had another very productive end of the week into the weekend! I got the Propane trunk line installed and pressured tested, leak free.

A little pre-planning for the sink drain located my exiting location towards the front of the trailer. Drilled the hole.

Slipped the pipe through and mounted it to the floor.

Existing flexible hose off the Aliner to connect the trunk line to the LP tanks was the perfect length.

Then I spent some time under the trailer and pulled out all the existing trailer light wiring as it will now be run inside the trailer to the electrical center location with a power and ground feed to each light. I ran the new 7-wire with plug from the front of the trailer up through the floor and to the electrical center location. I took the opportunity to mount the electric tongue jack I received for Christmas and ran its sizable power lead to the electrical center in the same routing with the trailer 7-wire. With all things I wanted routed under the cabinets I turned my attention final mounting the lower cabinets.

I took my time and measured the LP upright locations and bored a hole for them to slip up into the cabinets. I made a hole for the wires from the tongue to come up through the cabinet and pulled them through when the cabinet was installed. I made appropriate notches in the cabinet side bottoms to allow the cabinet to step over the wires and LP trunk line running below them.

Here are the cabinets in freshly in place.

We then final mounted four of the 9 existing tie-down points in the area that I would actually use them.

We brought the bike into the trailer to adjust the wheel chock mount location as needed to fit properly in between the cabinets and the AC unit while best utilizing the tie-down points. I ended up moving it about 4" further forward than the chock mount was when I bought the trailer. This will give me plenty of buffer space if I happen to have the tour pack on the bike when I take it sometime. This still leaves us plenty of room to get in the side door and do anything we may need to do on the road like checking the tie-down straps or get to the water closet.

Here is the bike in its travel spot.

In the last picture you can see one drawer is not in its slides. I will need to modify the back of that missing drawer to accommodate the LP line location and likely the sink drain location as it enters the tank. I am happy with the room around the bike and how the layout of the trailer is coming along! One last project completed over the weekend and that was to install the power vent I picked up to the ventilate the bathroom quickly and efficiently. It is meant to be roof mounted, but I believe it will be fine on the wall. The location of the bathroom would only allow me to mount it forward facing the vehicle or in a location shared by the awning arm in its stored position. I chose the sidewall under the awning arm as I will only use the vent (push it out a couple inches) when at camp and when the awning is out. I prefer nothing to take the full wind while driving on the front of the trailer that high up.

The vent is a six inch diameter. I drilled a test hole for center on the inside and went to check what may interfere on the out side. I had to lower it 1.75" from my test hole so the vent would sit flat and in not be partially on top of the siding trim piece located on the upper wall all around the trailer.

Vent from the interior. Trim ring will be installed after the wall finishes are complete.

A couple shots of the outside. It is real close to the awning arm, but no pressure is being applied. Good thing about this location is the arm will also prevent the vent from opening accidentally during transport.

It is great to install things that have been laying around the house while waiting their turn to be utilized. Next on the agenda is to build the enclosure for the fridge/electrical center, under bed storage/battery box, water closet partitions, and modify a cabinet front to house the furnace. Stayed tuned!

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Tue May 05, 2015 5:43 am

What really nice progress. Looking good.
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue May 05, 2015 11:08 am

Jiffypop207, Howdy;

Have you thought about a Quick connect set-up for your propane
where it goes from the tank to the hard pipe?
Here's a link, something to ponder ...
http://mbsturgis.com/products/mb/rv-pro ... ators.html

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am

May tee off there at some point for a BBQ grill feed, but neither now or then would that connection ever come apart again so need need for a quick connect. Appreciate the link to those adapters though. Could come in handy.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions