7x14 Snow Mobile Trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x14 Snow Mobile Trailer

Postby flboy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:30 am

Alex, thank you so much for the additional details. This is a huge help to me. I am saving my bed build for last and have been struggling with the final design as I ony want to do this once. Appreciate your help! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iconfabul8 wrote:Refering to the sliding beds, Has anyone ever seen or put any thought into having only two guides, one on each side in the center of the bed. The bed would pivot like a teeter totter. This would help immensely in the binding dept and simplify the cables. You might even be able to incorporate the gas springs. All you would need to do is lock the four corners once the desired height is reached. Just a wild thought I had :o

That's a neat idea. At the end of the day, the struts and etc. just serve the purpose of assisting in the raising and lowering. If it works and reduces the hardware, that is good. Would you still have the two struts on each side for the stability and to dampen the "teetering" ?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby wanabxtrm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Dusting off the projects! It's been a crazy 6 months of camping skiing and school. Unfortunately my 9 yr old Jeep Wrangler gave up the ghost going up I-70 during the winter at just shy of 100k. Bought it in 08 with the lifetime power train warranty, which they honored by replacing the engine. But I didn't trust the dealers work. After shopping around the ford dealer gave me 22k! Which given that I bought it for 25k, I couldn't pass up. Long story short, I have a new primary tow vehicle. ImageImage

Got lucky on the propane holder...just fits. Image

I've got a lot of finish work to do and want to add some more solar prior to summer. Did get one of these to aide in space and rain though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1SMWbS7us

Should be ordering fabric for the door/bed 'wings' here soon too.

Picked up some plastic board for free so I'll be lining and insulating the bottom. And I still have yet to permanently mount the Dickinson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby mradair59 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm

wanabxtm - Any issues with your A/C system now that you have been running it for awhile now? Like durability? Is it holding up to being mounted on a CT?
I am thinking about this but have concerns about it.
Thanks,
mradair59
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:39 am

Nice truck! I am sure that will tow your CTC without breaking a sweat.... it will drink alot more though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby wanabxtrm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm

mradair59 wrote:wanabxtm - Any issues with your A/C system now that you have been running it for awhile now? Like durability? Is it holding up to being mounted on a CT?
I am thinking about this but have concerns about it.
Thanks,

No issues as of yet with several thousand miles on. I'll be firing it up for the first time since last fall this week and let you know if that changed, but doubt it since it's just been sitting in the yard for most of that time. I keep the exterior unit covered when driving as it gets sprayed by the rear wheels of the truck due to its less than optimal location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby wanabxtrm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Got the trailer out for the first time this year/season earlier this week. Had a broken water line from winter which was frustrating. Gives me an excuse to clean up the plumbing abit I guess. Managed to bypass it to use the hot water side which was intact. Heat pump kept us warm despite 20deg nights. Did the great sand dunes, and saw some more of the Colorado Springs area. Tested out the new 'yurt' awning tent. Very happy with it, frankly it has as much sqft as the trailer. Picked up some new cabinet and interior materials that I'll hopefully get in here soon. Also plan to order some more solar and permanently mount it on the roof as well. Still have a laundry list of 'to dos' to make it more convenient, and a lot of finish work too.

After getting back we promptly cleared it out to help my relatives move.

Looking into a cell repeater/booster as reception is crap inside the trailer. Anyone ever use one? Thoughts?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 am

Lawd, That is some pretty country!
I'd have to leave the phone somewhere else, and just get back to the land, and set my soul free.
It wont be long for us now, but that was one long, cold winter.
So, did you have anti freeze in the lines? Surely you must have or the damage would be more extensive. Plastic does not like the cold. I haven't checked my plumbing yet but I haven't found any pink puddles either.
Diggin' the Yurt, that will come in handy. Especially if you take the wife and chitlins in a small trailer. Give ya a little more elbow room.
Good to see you back out there, Enjoy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby wanabxtrm » Tue May 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Broke down on an impulse buy. And came home with a goal zero 1000w battery/inverter all in one from Costco. I've been tracking the company and their stuff for awhile but always thought they were overpriced. Did some quick math on a separate lithium battery with BMS/inverter etc and decided it wasn't as overpriced as their prior AGM models (still more expensive than mid grade individual complements mind you, but form factor is worth something). Given Costcos liberal return policy I figure if I'm not happy with it no love or money lost. I'll report back after some testing and use, but from talking to the customer service line at goal zero they'll be releasing sesperate stand alone batteries as 'expansion' at about $200-300 for 1kw by summer. If that turns out right, with some additional storage and an external MPPT charger it may be a worthwhile purchase.

For now the verdict is out. But first impression is positive. Ran the mini split and blender without blinking (my two highest amp draw items I'd ever run on it). though at the current capacity even pairing with my AGM in the trailer it will be sucked dry rather rapidly.
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

lithium batteries??

Postby wanabxtrm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm

So it’s been awhile my trailer friends. Looking for some input and posting some updates.

We used the goal zero for about 8 months but ended up returning it due to a minor issue with the cigarette charger. Long story short I’d buy one again; but wanted to be able to chain them.

Fast forward awhile... I’m doing some upgrades and changes to the trailer as I had some frozen lines, and my AGM battery has bit the dust so it’s good timing to do some minor fixes. Goal zero now offers a chainable module for AGM. Plus side is I can move the ‘powerstation’ Into the house for outages. Downside is cost and single point of failure costs.

I’m strongly considering instead investing in a dedicated 12V lithium battery with integrated BMS. Overall cost will probably be about the same but likely better quality with less clean integration and it is then tied to the trailer vice movable.

First blush I’m leaning toward renogy or relion probably 200-300 ah total. Curious of people’s thoughts both on all in one vs battery, and second the battery manufacturer. I’ve got renogy panels and have been happy with their quality and customer service. I can get the goal zero at a moderate discount over regular retail.

Side bar. Tire blew out on my Move from CO TO VA last year; took the entire fender off (fully loaded moving moving at interstate speeds). Crazy stuff. Glad I had twin axles and the fender did it’s job. Overall non event as a driver; can’t imagine the event with a single axle. Just something to consider for those just starting their endevour into this foray. (Still need to replace the fender, which is part of the changes to get it moving from the driveway again.
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Sorry about your plumbing problems... but I have to agree with Dave, that is some beautiful country! It's been awhile since I have been to Colorado, but I'm ready to go again!
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions