Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Postby professorkx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:12 pm

First post, and will pick up our trailer today after working through about 15 build out plans. I have reviewed every page of this forum, and have stolen as many ideas as I can from folks who have done amazing builds. Seems a lot of folks get started and fizzle out on posting updates, but the most useful are from those members who take everyone along for the ride and post a lot of pictures. I'll try to be one of those guys in hopes of helping others with their builds.

To start, here is my build plan in graphic form:

Here is a bullet list of important items if you are going to follow the build:

1. Trailer is 7x14, round top and barn doors.
2. Weight was the issue, so while I will need to haul a motorcycle, the ramp door added to much weight, so will use an aluminum ramp.
3. Dry trailer weight is 1954 pounds.
4. Finished dry cannot exceed 2800 pounds, which gives me 846 pounds for the build
5. I built a weight matrix by component to make sure this was even possible, and this will work given the publicized weights of my components

Major component list:
1. Cabinets will be built in place, as this yields the lowest weight for cabinets
2. Cabinets will be built out of clear pine to save weight
3. Flat panel doors will be built
4. No AC, as it's too heavy, but will build to add one in case my total weight allows. For now, 14 inch vent with fan
5. Coleman DC fridge, as it's 19 pounds and will hold what we need for trips.
6. Small Microwave
7. No hot water tank. Will use portable unit with quick disconnects if we find we want hot water on demand.
8. two burner stove
9. Stainless sink
10. Portable toilet, as this allows us to empty waste before we start home and save the weight on the tongue.
11. 20 gallon water tank just behind axles under floor.
12. One propane tank and one battery on tongue. We have a 2200 watt generator to keep things charged and to run the microwave and TV. Also have a 1500 watt inverter to run off battery.
13. Murphy bed if weight allows. If not, folding queen cot. Setup when camping begins, fold down before we load the dual sport and head home.
14. large window in each side. Current plan is something in the 30x30 range.
15. Curtain to hide the bathroom area.

That should get us started. This is our winter project, so needs to be road ready by the end of February for dual sport riding. We rode 12,000 miles this year from March to October, and tent camped the entire time. This unit will allow for trips further from home. 1000 miles in a weekend means my wife is way too tired, so we plan to trailer the bike to get close to our riding spot for the weekend, which means she won't be so tired for riding in the dirt.

The first thing I need help with is the windows. The install is easy, finding the right ones is the problem. They need to open with screens, and the emergency type windows would be great, and can provide a lot of air flow. I am confused by the ebay postings, as they don't provide enough info for me to know if they will work for a cargo trailer install, as wall thickness seems to be the variable. Also, some folks here weld in braces, while other install wood support. I'm a welder/fabricator, so weld in is easy, just not sure if wood or welding is better. So, please post help on windows and I am continuing to search for posts that help me, just takes a lot of time to read through searched posts.

The journey begins....
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Re: Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Postby dustboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Good call on keeping the weight down, it's easy to get carried away. Looks like you have planned well.

Only thing I'd mention is the Coleman DC fridge, maybe you've had better luck than most, but Thermoelectric fridges suck. They use a ton of power and don't actually get cold enough, especially on a hot day. If you have power to spare (shore power or genny or lots of solar) you can do OK with an AC dorm fridge.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:58 pm

dustboy,

Thanks for the input on the fridge. Have not yet purchased, and my original plan was a cheap dorm fridge as you noted. I ran one on a small inverter before, and it worked well, as it didn't draw much power. Just don't like giving up an additional 40 pounds for the dorm fridge, as that's almost the weight of an awning. what to do, what to do...

As for as having a plan, yup, just the way I roll, drives my kids nuts. I almost finished with the build ToDo list, and classifying each project by stage A-F. Of course, stage A is wiring, windows, braces, etc, essentially, everything up to reinstalling the plywood on the wall. I think this will probably take about 4 weeks to complete, depending upon getting the windows in hand so they can be installed. This weekend is "demo" on the interior, layout the kitchen area in blue tape and start running wire. Might also paint the floor while the wall are out, just need to finalize color.

I realized at 3 AM this morning that I needed to add a backer (probably plywood) between wall supports so I have something to screw shore power and water inlets to after I drill the holes in the outer wall, so I added that to the list this morning.

Now just need to determine the proper window to buy. As I noted, ebay doesn't provide enough info for me to be comfortable that I buying something that will work, so looking for other sites that sell windows at a reasonable price. Found this site on another post this morning http://teardroptrailerparts.com/Windows___Doors.html but they don't have the size I would like. May have to go smaller.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:44 pm

professorkx, Howdy;

Awhile back I posted a small list of places to find stuff, You might find a few items that you might could use.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=59966&p=1081034#p1081034

Happy shopping.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby professorkx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 pm

It's home...

...now the work begins. :applause:
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Good luck on the build. I'll be watching. Need to update my own thread before I get put into the slacker category.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 pm

I found these windows on ebay. It appears that this will fit the wall thickness of an enclosed trailer. Correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WHITE-KINRO ... 1140276292
Last edited by professorkx on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Any thickness.....they don't include the inner trim ring. :o
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Jiffypop207 wrote:Any thickness.....they don't include the inner trim ring. :o

if they don't have the inner trim ring, how do they sandwich the wall? Lots of windows out there without the inner trim, but didn't think they would work. :?
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

What the others said above is correct.

You pretty much gotta have the trim rings, cuz if ya don't you have to rivet the RV windows to the outside skin and make your own interior trim out of wood.

Trim rings come in a few different depths. You want the shallowest trim rings for 1" walls when putting RV windows into a cargo trailer with 1" thick walls. (The deeper trim rings are for WinneBagels and the like.)

I wouldn't buy a radiused-corner RV window without the trim ring. (With trim rings have been scarce on eBay lately.)

You set the window on the outside with butyl tape, available at any RV store.

For what it's worth.

Best wishes,

:wine: Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby professorkx » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Prem wrote:What the others said above is correct.

You pretty much gotta have the trim rings, cuz if ya don't you have to rivet the RV windows to the outside skin and make your own interior trim out of wood.

Trim rings come in a few different depths. You want the shallowest trim rings for 1" walls when putting RV windows into a cargo trailer with 1" thick walls. (The deeper trim rings are for WinneBagels and the like.)

I wouldn't buy a radiused-corner RV window without the trim ring. (With trim rings have been scarce on eBay lately.)

You set the window on the outside with butyl tape, available at any RV store.

For what it's worth.

Best wishes,

:wine: Prem

Excellent, that's the conclusion I was getting to as well, so now i just need to find windows that will open in the neighborhood of 30x20 or 30x24 that will go into a thinner interior wall and are budget friendly (trying to stay below $300 for both windows). Since I know the location of the windows, I can continue with wiring, bracing for spare tire, installation of portals and other work, so will make the windows the last step before I button up the interior wall. My wife is having a blast planning this build with me...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:59 pm

My wife is having a blast planning this build with me...

:applause:

P.S. Ebay is the best place to find reduced-cost, takeout RV windows with rings. What Adam said and found. :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby professorkx » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:35 pm

I now understand the world of RV windows, and am confident I can find windows that I can make work that will look great. Might have to fur out the interior a little, but I can make that very attractive when complete.

Thanks for the window buying education...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Nice looking trailer. Good luck on your build, and take lots of pictures! :pictures: :D
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions