Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Postby Deediggler » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:28 pm

professorkx wrote:
Deediggler wrote:That's a great looking set up you got there Prof, and I include your lady friend in that statement.

So what is the one thing that you would have done differently if you had to do it all over again?

Deediggler, I almost included that with the last post, so excellent question.

The one thing I would change would be to move the refrigerator to the location of the sink and the sink to the location of the refrigerator. The only reason is weight. Once you fill the fridge, I suspect total weight is close to 100 pounds, so getting that weight off the tongue and closer to the axle would have helped tongue weight. I had originally contemplated this design on one of my layouts, but was concerned the tall cabinet by the window would make the trailer look smaller. I still believe that, but tongue weight is an important factor.

To accommodate the fridge weight, I have a quick disconnect on the Optima battery in the tongue box so I can move it by the rear door while traveling. This meant I had to install a normal, small, cargo trailer battery in the tongue box to activate the brakes in an emergency. The Optima battery weighs 60 pounds, so that weight transfer to the rear reduces tongue weight by almost 100 pounds. So, with the fridge up front, I have found a way to adjust that's not too obnoxious.

As for my "lady friend", yup, she still turns heads. She's tiny with a nice figure and we are both in great shape, and at almost 6'5" and 220 pounds, I look like a giant next to her. Each evening, I lead a core workout, and during the workout, she always tries to hold her planks longer than I can do pushups (I add pushups to increase stress on my muscles to level the playing field), but for now, I'm still winning since I don't start to struggle until I hit 60 pushups. During the day, we both hit the gym and she includes pilates at least three times a week. I've watched many friends age and fall out of shape, and observed that it's easier to stay in shape than it is to get into shape as you get older (I'm almost 60), so we just push each other by working out together to stay in shape. I have all 4 of my daughters using a FitBit and competing with each other and Sandy for highest daily steps (Sandy almost always wins), in hopes that this enhances their health. I want them all to be around at least as long as me...

Damnit, I'm only 31 and I can't do 60 pushups. It's time to start thinking about getting in shape.

That's a good point about the fridge on the front. I'm planning on doing the same with an Engel fridge and now you got me thinking. :thinking:
Deediggler
Teardrop Advisor

Postby professorkx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 am

Gunman9 wrote:nice work professor. I plan on making the same murphy style bed you did. Any suggestions? My trailer is only 6 feet wide so I know im gonna have to cut down the memory foam mattress to fit. Im debating making my horizontal though. Im gonna put in a full size mattress.

How is the chemical toilet? Looks like a thetford? any odor problems or problems emptying?

One reason I used an air bed is that I could not fold the bed into the wall with a standard sized mattress unless I wanted the mattress sitting on the floor in the down position. I've had great luck using only Coleman air beds in all of our RVs over the last 10+ years, and we actually switched to a Coleman air bed with a 2 inch topper in the house after spending a few thousand dollars searching for a mattress that was worthy of restful sleep. We toss the house mattress about once a year, as they stretch over time, requiring a little more air about once each month. However, the comfort is worth the 5 minutes required to add air each month.

If you are going with a solid mattress, I think you will need to install along the wall to get it off the floor. During my design work, I did not comprehend the value of having storage under the bed in the down position. After building the bed, I would never consider mounting at floor level. My bed platform is 18 inches off the floor, so mattress height is about 23 inches.

As for the chemical toilet, we have only used on one trip, and when we emptied, we found that we had not used enough deodorizer. This stuff is cheap, so I'm not sure why I measured out by teaspoon...didn't think it through. After we emptied and rinsed, I dumped the entire little bottle into the waste tank for the next trip. I should note that there was NO odor during the trip, only when we emptied into the house toilet. Here is the link to what we use:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... ttles/4160

Yup, a full bottle is overkill for a 5 gallon tank, but for $2 a bottle, I am willing to take the financial hit. :thumbsup:

Our 5 gallons of waste capacity looks like it will last about 3 days with two adults and cautious use of water with each flush. This was another thing we learned on our first trip, essentially, empty the toilet after 2 days if an outhouse is close. This will ensure that you have plenty of space in the waste tank for the trip home. In addition, the empty process will involve a tank that is less full. My tank was full to the top when we emptied, and did not present a problem, but 5 gallons weighs about 40 pounds, so less is better IMHO.

The empty process was actually easier than I had envisioned. The top pops off the tank rather easily, and the pour spout twists to the side and away from the tank about 4 inches. Remove the cap, open the vent, lift the seat on the house toilet and start pouring. After the first pour, I replaced the top section, opened the waste gate, pushed the fresh water button and pumped the rest of the clean water into the waste tank. Remove the top once again, swish the fresh water around in the waste tank and empty. Last step was to pour a small bottle of deodorizer into the waste tank.

After the first trip, as long as I dump the waste tank every 2-3 days, we will be fine. Of course, if we are boondocking, I will use the great outdoors for the simple business, which reduces the amount of waste in the tank. I purchased this online for $105 from Camping World on an internet special. Make sure you opt for the 5 gallon waste tank. Here is the link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... gray/56069
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:44 am

Deediggler wrote:
Damnit, I'm only 31 and I can't do 60 pushups. It's time to start thinking about getting in shape.

That's a good point about the fridge on the front. I'm planning on doing the same with an Engel fridge and now you got me thinking. :thinking:

When my youngest son entered the Army at 17 years old, I wanted to find something that created a connection between us during Basic Training. I did two things:

1. On his first call, my son said "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it." On every call afterwards, the first thing I asked him was what did he enjoy MOST since we last talked. This focused our conversations on the positive aspects of basic training, when the negative usually gets the most attention. This changed my son's perspective on Basic Training, as it changed his focus on wanting to remember every detail of what he enjoyed MOST so he could share it with me on our next call. This resulted in Ben really enjoying Basic Training, and at his graduation, a number of recruits and DIs found me to tell me what a great son I had raised. Made me proud to be his Dad.

2. Ben wasn't in shape to pass the fitness test, and neither could I. So, I started on day one of his Basic Training, working to pass the same fitness test he had to pass. We tracked our progress together, and compared our struggles. Our ability to pass the fitness test happened the same week, so we got to celebrate this success together.

The whole process of Basic Training created a pretty strong bond that continues to this day, and he and my oldest son are my closest friends after my wife. Ben broke 5 vertebrata in his back while training soldiers for deployment at Ft. Irwin, and was retired from the Army on disability, so he can't continue to stay in the same shape. However, I continue my work to stay in top shape to honor his service, something that is unlikely to end anytime soon.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Deediggler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:43 pm

professorkx wrote:
Deediggler wrote:

When my youngest son entered the Army at 17 years old, I wanted to find something that created a connection between us during Basic Training. I did two things:

1. On his first call, my son said "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it." On every call afterwards, the first thing I asked him was what did he enjoy MOST since we last talked. This focused our conversations on the positive aspects of basic training, when the negative usually gets the most attention. This changed my son's perspective on Basic Training, as it changed his focus on wanting to remember every detail of what he enjoyed MOST so he could share it with me on our next call. This resulted in Ben really enjoying Basic Training, and at his graduation, a number of recruits and DIs found me to tell me what a great son I had raised. Made me proud to be his Dad.

2. Ben wasn't in shape to pass the fitness test, and neither could I. So, I started on day one of his Basic Training, working to pass the same fitness test he had to pass. We tracked our progress together, and compared our struggles. Our ability to pass the fitness test happened the same week, so we got to celebrate this success together.

The whole process of Basic Training created a pretty strong bond that continues to this day, and he and my oldest son are my closest friends after my wife. Ben broke 5 vertebrata in his back while training soldiers for deployment at Ft. Irwin, and was retired from the Army on disability, so he can't continue to stay in the same shape. However, I continue my work to stay in top shape to honor his service, something that is unlikely to end anytime soon.

That's an incredible story Prof. Despite being Canadian, I have great respect for not only our solders but those of our closest friend and ally the USA! I am always blown away at the stories of self sacrifice all our men and women have experienced and you have every right to be a proud papa. No doubt his injuries will effect them for the rest of his life, but he can wear his scars proudly. :applause:

Makes my excuses not to get in shape seem quite small. haha.
Deediggler
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MTPockets » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

Nice cabinets, I really like the design. Question, what type of latching system hold your cabinet doors closed during travel?
Our 7x16 vee nose cargo trailer camper/toy hauler conversion... http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=62716#p1120416
MTPockets
Teardrop Inspector

Postby professorkx » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 pm

MTPockets wrote:Nice cabinets, I really like the design. Question, what type of latching system hold your cabinet doors closed during travel?

The top cabinets hinge so they open up towards the ceiling, so I used a simple rv cabinet door strut. Bought 8 on ebay for less than $20.

The bottom cabinet doors are held closed by a simple spring catch I purchased from Home Depot.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Postby gisclair615 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:37 am

Really nice build! Do you have a link to the rubber flooring you used? Also what did you use to make is stick to the wood flooring. I'm trying to find a way to do my floor in my 6x12. My floor has many oil stains from my bikes leaking fork seals. Any idea what would work? I thought about an oil based garage floor coating but not sure that would work with a floor with stains.
gisclair615
Teardrop Advisor

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:55 pm

gisclair615 wrote:Really nice build! Do you have a link to the rubber flooring you used? Also what did you use to make is stick to the wood flooring. I'm trying to find a way to do my floor in my 6x12. My floor has many oil stains from my bikes leaking fork seals. Any idea what would work? I thought about an oil based garage floor coating but not sure that would work with a floor with stains.

the rubber floor I used was from Home Depot, but it's too thin. Since I didn't glue it down, it wrinkles when it gets hot. I love the rubber floor, but WHEN I replace the rubber floor, it will be with something that is thicker so it's doesn't wrinkle when it gets hot.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby gisclair615 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Good to know. What size propane tank are you using? I'm looking at installing a tongue box to hold my battery and propane tank. Thanks
gisclair615
Teardrop Advisor

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:18 pm

gisclair615 wrote:Good to know. What size propane tank are you using? I'm looking at installing a tongue box to hold my battery and propane tank. Thanks

I use a 20 pound tank, as I just use the Blue Rhino replacement tanks instead of getting mine filled. The replacement tanks are at the gas island at the local Fred Meyer, so supper easy for my wife to get a new one. Filling is just a big hassle since you have to wait for someone to get free to fill the tank at Flying J or other location. For the little extra money, I'll use the replacements, so had to stay with the BBQ size tank. This also allows me to cycle my BBQ so the new one goes in the trailer and the partial one goes on the BBQ so I always know I have plenty of propane on the trailer.

When you go to buy your tongue box, suggest you test fit a tank inside the box, as some boxes are just a little too short. As I noted, I have about 1/4 inch clearance if I rotate the tank so the cross member on the lid clears the metal surrounding the valve, so a perfect fit.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby aztrooper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:44 pm

I was going to use the 20# tanks but decided to go with the next larger size. I was going to put mine inside in the 20"X20" cabinets along the left side but have decided to put them on the front since it is a "V" nose. My battery is going under the front cabinets along with the inverter and solar box. Prepared for lengthy stays if needed. I really like your bed and will now switch my planning over to that instead of a bed that goes up and down in the rear.

Bob
aztrooper
Teardrop Builder

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:51 pm

aztrooper wrote: I really like your bed and will now switch my planning over to that instead of a bed that goes up and down in the rear.

Bob

My wife loves the bed design as well, as she gets storage and a very comfy nights sleep. We also have room for about four adults playing cards inside the trailer with bed folded up. I thought it would be cold next to the rear door since I have not yet insulated the rear door (or the floor), but with temps in the teens on our first outing, we were as snug as a bug in a rug in our bed. Might forgo the insulation in the rear doors, but the floor is getting insulation this summer, as it got very cold stepping out of bed...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby aztrooper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I already did my floor. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=62089&start=30#p1122157 I will do the rear ramp last as I am going to have to reinforce the interior of the ramp door so I can mount my spare tire on it. Could you send me a couple of close ups of the head of the bed where it hinges to the cabinet?
Bob
[email protected]
aztrooper
Teardrop Builder

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:15 pm

aztrooper wrote:I already did my floor. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=62089&start=30#p1122157 I will do the rear ramp last as I am going to have to reinforce the interior of the ramp door so I can mount my spare tire on it. Could you send me a couple of close ups of the head of the bed where it hinges to the cabinet?
Bob
[email protected]

Bob, excellent looking floor insulation!!! Mine won't be near as elegant, just Styrofoam exposed on the bottom. Someone here ran a test over time, and the Styrofoam held up nicely. Keeps weight and costs at a minimum..
professorkx
Teardrop Master

water tank

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:32 pm

OK, working on a water tank solution under the rear of the trailer floor so it's out of the way and the weight is at the rear of the trailer. I don't want to have a customer tank made using rotation molding technique, as this is just too costly. So, I have another idea and need thoughts:

I am thinking about using 4" pvc water pipe in 5 foot lengths. I can build a manifold at each end using T fittings and 90 degree fittings, and allow for a 1" fill fitting, small vent fitting and 1" drain. I think I have room for five lengths of 5" pvc that are connected to my manifolds on each end to use the space between supports fully. Each five foot length will provide about 3.3 gallons of volume, not counting the space in the manifolds, so 5 pieces will provide 16.5 gallons of water. I can also use 90 degree fittings and just pull from one corner, as this might allow me to put the pipe closer together. Yup, the idea needs to be refined, but that's the general concept.

Using 4 inch PCV means the water storage system will fit under my trailer with less than 1/2" exposed below the frame rails, so pretty protected.

Curious on getting thoughts on this approach...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions