Blue Ridge Spirit, Bob and Lynn's 6x14 CT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Blue Ridge Spirit, Bob and Lynn's 6x14 CT

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Bob

Glad you survived the floods

I'm not sure if I should be mad at you guys in WV
I was just planning to bring my brand new 13 year old freshly almost imported Asian bride
to get married over there AND now you changed the law to 18 years ....min

Isn't that out right discrimination against the good & honest Mountain people.....of WV :cry: :cry:

I know your LAUGHING.... but dead serious, they had a deal here with the CA Government workers
who could dump their old wife, get a brand new Asian 16 year old & SHE WOULD collect 100% of his government
benefits / pension after he died....for the rest of her natural life, as long as they were married on the day he died.
You just gotta know how to work the system.....

Cheers ottct
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:28 pm

I am in the western part of Virginia, not the state of West Virginia. And I have heard of the bride deal. It is crazy if true.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Bob

Your killing me, the way you say I'm in the western part of Virginia "NOT WEST Virginia" - you make it sound like two foreign countries - like China vs India .....

Is there a hugh cultural difference between you and your cousins 20 miles on the other mountain? To us in Cali it looks like both states would fit inside one of our golf courses LOL. All we know about Virginia is that you all are filthy rich tabacco farmers and sell the smokes there for 50 cents a pack , while we pay $6.00

So clue me in ??

Cheers ottct

Opps, I forgot all the spooks are there too

Bob .....

I been reading up on it and it looks like all the rich folks & Lovers live in Virginia, especially the northern / eastern part
and all the poor mountain folks, coal miners live in West Virginia
so your right it does look like 2 different countries almost.
So im starting to see your point, the folks in West Virginia are "up a paddle without a beach"
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Bob

Get this and your gonna be the coolest guy EVER ......

its totally remote control, you can mow your neighbors yard sitting in your trailer smoking a cigar.

http://www.slope-mower.com/products/spider-mini/

11 spider mini.png
11 spider mini.png (147.71 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Neat....wonder how much. Can I substitute a siff drink for the cigar? I wonder if I could make a fortune with the steep lots here on my lake.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby cigarsnjeeps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:35 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Bob

Get this and your gonna be the coolest guy EVER ......

its totally remote control, you can mow your neighbors yard sitting in your trailer smoking a cigar.

http://www.slope-mower.com/products/spider-mini/

11 spider mini.png

You had me at "smoking a cigar" .....

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
cigarsnjeeps
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:27 am

It has been awhile since I updated this post for my CT. Too many home projects in place to prepare my home for sale.

HACKED AC UNIT FAIL

In "Deceivers" thread about AC hacking, I mentioned a problem I think I had for my "hacked AC". If you recall, this is what I tried to make work.
(Deceiver's thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... r&start=60)

It was not cooling my trailer enough and I had freeze up of the coils, so I add 120V fans to each duct. That helped some, but not perfect.
During a TJ camping trip to Fort Chiswell, several weeks ago, while it did work, it just would not get the CT cool enough for my wife's and my liking.
Then right after we returned home, my wife developed a serious cough and her chest hurt. The doctor hinted that our unit could be a culprit because of mold, mildew and what not. I did not buy that, but I am not a doctor of course. Lynn's lung issue is still there and is being treated with steroids and antibiotics and is getting better.

But her health is paramount and I decided to go back to basics and eliminate any possibility for future issues. Lynn's lungs have always been susceptible to issues.
I tore apart my AC hacked unit and found no mold or mildew, but did find way too much "bad stuff" for our liking. This is stuff, along with bugs, that came into the back part of the unit while sitting on the ground.

So I scrapped this whole effort, rebuilt my 5000 BTU window unit and mounted it in the false back wall ahead of the barn door.
Almost immediately the cooling effectiveness worked much better then before (go figure). I will just have to leave the left side back barn door open enough for the air to circulate around the back cooling fins.
Notice the foam layed wall section. The glues held the foam very well to the thin out wall sections. I am impressed with this process.

PIPE BURST
At the last camp out, my incoming water line burst from too much campground water pressure. I had a section connected with clear plastic tubing and radiator clamps.
My first attempt to repair it was to replace the tube with PEX. In this photo the failed tubing is laying on top of the PEX repair.

Then my cemented PVC joint failed with my house pressure. So I pulled all the PVC out of the line from that point up stream and replaced that with PEX. As future failures occur, I will replace the plumbing with PEX.

DREMEL USED TO REMOVE PEX CLAMPS
I really like using PEX with the clamps. I did purchase one of the crimpers for my house radiant system installation and it came in handy before. At first removal of the clamps was concerning, but I learned how to use a Dremel tool to cut through them. They are nothing more then copper fittings. You cut very slowly and at the very end, the stress will cause the crimp to snap open, thereby not hurting the tubing very much.

But while you are using primers and glues for PVC, be careful not to spill the purple primer onto anything good. I was not careful and now have stains on my floor. Fortunate for me, these are the last sections applied to the floor and will be easy to replace.

LED LIGHTING
My LED lighting for the ceiling cornors was very bright and did not look that great without some covering. So I am trying to go "indirect" with them and built this 45 degree corner moulding. Here are my attempts.

And here the side reading LED lamps are on also. The whole thing is quite bright.

But my workmanship is not that great. It was hard to hold the right angles and measurements. Now that I know it works, I am going to build new ones using 90 degree (right angles instead of 45 degrees). It will simpler to build and will produce the same results. Now I need to make a decision for the colors to stain and paint them. I am thinking glossy white for the insides where the LED strips go and stain the exposed surfaces with the same stain as is on the walls.
The thin vertical sticks are just to hold the moulding up while testing things out.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Bob, sorry to hear about Lynn's problems, tell her I hope she gets better. I have had a lousy cough and itchy throat since I came home. I know I drank "TOO" much campground water there because of the heat. I should have ran out and got more bottled water. Just may get one of those in line water filters also.

Good on you moving that A/C unit up there, so much better. (And bug free) :thumbdown:

Your lights are going to look real good when done, You know how Bright mine is with the white paneling!! 8)

Moved my Queen bed across the back now, gives more room up front for benches and/or a table inside. Working on it.

Later,
Other Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:54 pm

lrrowe, Howdy;

Also sorry to hear of your wife's problems, hope they clear up quickly.

Campground and home pressures are sometimes overwhelming to even a PEX system.
Generally RVers will slip a pressure regulator into the system at the spigot, also helps
prevent the hose from bursting. Something like this works just fine.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Brass-W ... r/14504323

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Spotman
Sorry to hear you picked up something also at the camping event.
You should have asked us for drinking water. We had plenty. We never drink campground water. I guess that comes from Lynn's nursing heritage. I have thought of a filter, but if we are not drinking it, it may just be overkill.

Hank,
Thanls for the words on Lynn's illness. It seemed a little better today. I do like tha AC where it is now.

Spotman loaned me a regulator after I did temporary repairs at the campsite. One similar to yours, but plastic. I have one on order from Amazon. I will also put a shut off valve right at the trailer for quick shutdown of water should the need arise.

Since we only use hose water for showers, I think our future modus operandi will be to fill the ten gal water tank and then shut the hose off at the outside of the trailer. And while there is water in the tank, use the CT 12v pump for showers. It has plenty of pressure for this.

Boy I hope the Pex does not leak or give out. I do feel better with it in the winter because of its expansion properities.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Did you consider a dimmer for those lights?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:53 am

lrrowe wrote:It has been awhile since I updated this post for my CT. Too many home projects in place to prepare my home for sale.

HACKED AC UNIT FAIL

In "Deceivers" thread about AC hacking, I mentioned a problem I think I had for my "hacked AC". If you recall, this is what I tried to make work.
(Deceiver's thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... r&start=60)

It was not cooling my trailer enough and I had freeze up of the coils, so I add 120V fans to each duct. That helped some, but not perfect.
During a TJ camping trip to Fort Chiswell, several weeks ago, while it did work, it just would not get the CT cool enough for my wife's and my liking.
Then right after we returned home, my wife developed a serious cough and her chest hurt. The doctor hinted that our unit could be a culprit because of mold, mildew and what not. I did not buy that, but I am not a doctor of course. Lynn's lung issue is still there and is being treated with steroids and antibiotics and is getting better.

But her health is paramount and I decided to go back to basics and eliminate any possibility for future issues. Lynn's lungs have always been susceptible to issues.
I tore apart my AC hacked unit and found no mold or mildew, but did find way too much "bad stuff" for our liking. This is stuff, along with bugs, that came into the back part of the unit while sitting on the ground.

So I scrapped this whole effort, rebuilt my 5000 BTU window unit and mounted it in the false back wall ahead of the barn door.
Almost immediately the cooling effectiveness worked much better then before (go figure). I will just have to leave the left side back barn door open enough for the air to circulate around the back cooling fins.
Notice the foam layed wall section. The glues held the foam very well to the thin out wall sections. I am impressed with this process.

Bob,
Its good to hear your wife is doing much better. Also good to see that you got your AC issues worked out for the most part. The issues you and a few others have had with your AC's has led me to use a few ideas from Mtn Don's build along with Flboys to install mine in the rear ramp door on my build and has given me ideas for my future build as well.

BTW,
Your new AC install looks great, like its been there all along.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Donut757 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 am

Dont wanna get off your topic and AC, but what about cargo doors? Wuodnt have to keep the back door open or vent anything out.

Im not sure if people have already been using cargo doors, but to open and slide AC unit out when parked would be easy i would think.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:45 am

It is quite ok. You are not hijacking the thread.

I considered the concept of a hole in either the CT walls but did not want to cut any more holes in it right now.
In general, I agree with you that sliding the unit in and out might be a good approach, but I also do not want to lose the counter, etc space.

I will have to leave one barn door party open for air circulation as shown below.

The AC sits nicely in a previously prepared shelf area. The aluminum pan is a temporary condensation catch basin until I can figure out a drain system. The next three challenges will be to figure out if I need to add circulation fans in the opening for better cooling air flow, how to secure the door for security reasons and how to keep rain from coming in. I have ideas for all issues.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:55 am

Please keep us posted on those solutions. Your rear galley is exactly what i have in mind, but i will have AC out of a hole in barn door or use a cargo door to slide in and out.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions