Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby Tommy B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Padilen,

Hello. I just wanted to say that I still got scalded by the On Demand water heater. Even after the accum. Just when I thought I had it dialed in it would get really hot. Turn it down some and it was too cold. I just think it is the way it works. :? I think I really need to experiment at home with endless water and see. Maybe cause the water was very cold from the outside temp and it compensates for that? It burned like hell. But one time or two it was perfect. WTH?

I thought I saw a shower head that had a scald proof protector built in. I will look for it on line but I will see what I can do by more adjusting. Two controls, how hard can it be but I am having trouble too. :beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 pm

I may try this If I cant get it right.

American Valve HSHH HotStop Anti-Scald Handheld Showerhead
Attachments
SHOWER HEAD.jpg
SHOWER HEAD.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Okay thanks. I just filled my sink with hot water. It did get "hot" then less hot, but never went cold. So maybe I'm close :worship:
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Hey Padilen and Tommy too,
I have experienced the extra "hot shot" as well, and just wanted to let you know what is happening and why. These units were made transfer the heat from the flame to the water as rapidly and efficiently as possible. When you stop the water flow to scrub or apply etc., the water has time to absorb all residual heat in the exchanger. So the next "shot or slug" of water will be overheated, then as the new water enters the exchanger the temp normalizes. It's the reverse of the normal domestic hot water operation where you get a "cold slug" before the hot water travels from heater to faucet.
These units don't hold a lot of water, like a cup or two, that's why it gets so hot, so fast. So, you can either leave water running and enjoy constant temp, but high usage or turn off when soaping up and just know to let that first shot NOT be aimed at your sensitive region.
If you waited long enough between the OFF and ON, the water would have time cool off, but so would you.
The only other possibility would be a really long hose between heater and wand, but you would still waste water at the start to get rid of the cold slug. You might be able to put in a bypass so the water is returned to the fresh tank when wand is off, but the pump and heater will continue to run and put hot water back into the fresh tank.
I think you will just have to remember that a hot shot is coming, and let it pass and normalize, if you forget.. you will get a reminder, every time...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Padlien, Howdy;

I do believe we have a winner with McDave's response. Someone buy that man a Chicken dinner!
Basically the opposite of what happens with my current set-up where the check valve stops the
flow from the Hot h2o tank and the cold being pressurized it takes over and I have to duck the
cold flow for the 3 count. Knew there was someone around here that would throw the cloak off
this mystery.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm sure that's logical. But here is another snafu I don't shut mine off. And it goes from nice and hot to scalding to cold and back and forth. First on the unit( hot water heater) you have to find the right flow, and the right temp. Then you have to supply that same amount of flow from the water pump. I don't recall having this issue on shore connection. I have a deep sink-at least 3 gallons. I filled it as I mentioned earlier, and while it didn't stay the same temp, it didn't scald or turn cold. I don't, believe I use that much water showering. I don't have long hair anymore, so I hope I'm getting close. Might be a good reason to go get a trim too, as I've been letting it grow back out.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 am

Well, I'm starting to get caught up, now. So that was the purpose of the recently installed accumulator. Rodger that. So we are thinking that there is a "flow" issue when pump supplies pressure, but it seems right when on city water. My experience with accumulators was mostly for well water systems. Also low pressure boilers but for a different reason. In well systems they are used as a "cushion" and pressure "reservoir". Similar to a capacitor and/or battery in electrical systems. They are used to stop "water hammer" when closing valve, and to smooth pulsation when water is flowing. Also they provide pressure and volume for the time it takes the pressure switch to tell the pump to come on and the pump to develop pressure and volume. City water is typically supplied via gravity with virtually unlimited volume/pressure and no pulsation or pressure drop. The water column at the water tank provides the pressure, that is why they are jacked up on stilts or located on a hill above the city elevation. Some high rise apartments have their own tank on the roof. Old houses like mine had cisterns in the attic to provide pressure before electricity and city systems. Windmills or horses or oxen were used to power pump jacks to deliver water to tank in attic and a float valve stopped water when tank was full.
The issue you describe sounds as if the flow rate varies or heat output varies. I feel like heat output is less likely than flow problem but anything is possible. Some things to consider, is pump capable of supplying enough water? Both pump and heater should tell you what their capacity is. For instance the Triton 5L can heat 5 liters/min., etc. Is the pump performing correctly? You may need to check it out to see if its rated to do the job and measure volume to see if it can meet/exceed demand. Check power and connections to pump. There should be a strainer located at intake side of pump, make sure it is clear. The only other thing I can think of that might affect flow is tank venting. Is air able to enter tank to replace the volume of water removed? I'm not sure how we can verify constant heat output, but I'll give it some thought. I also remember heater stated a min. gpm to supply, I'll try to look that up. Try to verify proper operation when on city water. Keep us posted.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 am

Wow Mcdave you came through again. Yes indeed that is what happens. I will just anticipate it from now on. Now that summer camping has begun I may just take unheated showers, but they will still be somewhat warm as the air temp I guess. 85-90.

Thanks!
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 am

Tommy that may work for you but not this Northerner :shock:
Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:50 am

Last edited by Padilen on Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am

If you use the link with the IMG beside it. The pic's will show in post.

Nice work.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am

I'm having posting issues, I'm a cell phone user and normally use TapTalk which is t allowing me to post. On the full site I can only see a few words that I type. I re installed photo shop to try and post pics. But because it opened my album I deleted the post. Why it is still viewable I don't know. I've contacted taptalk will see if I can get back on the app.
Also about half of my posts will post on the full site. This was my second try to post :shock:
Last edited by Padilen on Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 pm

My third camping at work failed also. Eli freaked out in my CTC and did some damage. Was able to clean up and make some repair to the floor. I had concern about the door and wanted to protect it but only got as far has having a baby gate. This worked well until I moved my AC. He was able to knock it down and get to the door. Today since it was still connected to my pickup I towed it to work. My boss and I checked out some things with my water system. We tested and found my pump produces the needed amount (actually more than needed) of water flow for my water heater. We see no flow rate drop but I have know way of knowing if pump keeps pumping at the needed pressure. I need test it on pump and connect to shore.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 am

Eli's coming? Hide your heart girl.
just sayin'...

McDave

P.S. If pump amps remain steady, pressure probably is as well.
P.P.S. Check that vent to fresh tank, it could get water (or something else) trapped in it depending on how it is routed and that would cause a low pressure to pump. The air wouldn't be able to get past water in vent line to replace the volume of water used.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:46 am

That was checked because it does get water in it. Of course when we looked it didn't.
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions