Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 am

Well Ortho just said more arthritis. But at least now its diagnosed I've known for years. I had it in my neck and hands. And shoulder too. So basically now my whole body. Just couldn't get a Dr to confirm it. I don't know why I have so much trouble getting a correct diagnosis. Glad the cancer one was wrong
Anyway
I'm working on tandem pairs lift bed. I can now give an estimate of how much one costs. Not including mattresses. Roughly 450$ ! And lots of work! I spent hours drilling and cutting uprights. Then had to switch where I was mounting them in trailer. I'm hoping I have it planned out so it will all work when done. Hands gave up on me and meds have made sleeping difficult. I don't like using power tools with a tired brain. So I might not work on bed platform today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Sorry to hear about the arthritis. I hope you feel better soon... but I know it is a chronic type of thing. I am starting to get it in my hands like my dad did (swollen knuckles, etc.) . I am thankful that is all for now.

What is a "tandem pairs lift bed"? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 pm

Tandempair's their user name in here. My friends that liked my CTC and wanted one similar. So they bought a new trailer to have converted. Guess the thought more could be ordered done. But I got the job. They did get it insu slated which isn't nearly as well as it should be.

Last edited by Padilen on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Got my friends platform and springs done. It's to big for me to adjust by myself. Plus without the mattress, kind of pointless. We are also well below normal for temps so totally the wrong weather to mess around in. Even with an electric heater I came in shivering. Not good for using my hands or my arthritis.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Padilen wrote:Tandempair's their user name in here. My friends that liked my CTC and wanted one similar. So they bought a new trailer to have converted. Guess the thought more could be ordered done. But I got the job. They did get it insu slated which isn't nearly as well as it should be.

That make's sense now... I thought that was some new bed I'd never heard of! :lol: :lol:

Cool that you get to help build another. I learned so much the second build... the third will be better... That will be a long ways off... going to enjoy the latest build for a while. I think my next build will be a School Bus however. I've always wanted to convert one of those and you can pick them up relatively cheap at auctions. I'd leave a "garage area" in the back for the bikes and a small work area/laundry.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Ok I got the pics of tandems lift bed.
All my attempts to make it descend to the stops failed. So I went out to remove the springs. I found that I had made the cable to short to allow it to descend even without the springs. . So I'm thinking shorter & lighter springs, and remove all the extensions I added. Now to find them
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:17 pm

deleted duplicate post
Last edited by flboy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the photos Padilen. I like the way you mounted the pulleys on the tracks. If the gas struts I have coming Jan. 5 don't work for me, I will go the cable route and I am going to used that. I think what I'll do instead of springs; however, is to mount a winch underneath the floor in the middle and run cable from either side down through the floor to a pulley underneath to make the 90 deg turn and then to a the winch. Since the amount of cable spooling on the winch is minimal, I should be able to put both cables on to wind up and down with one winch. That might work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:36 pm

I hope so, I may have to steal your idea to get this one to work. Road trip to get 27.5 springs. Uh no you don't measure the loops so they were 25" springs!
Ran down to the cheaper Menards and got 90 & 100# springs light duty's. Then back to family farm to get 80# springs.

Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Got the 80# on and working. Since I do not have the mattress I have know idea if they'll lift it. Springs are maxed out in length. ImageImage

Last edited by Padilen on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 am

Made the changes to my lift bed, that I used on Tandempair's. Now I need help getting my memory foam mattress back on it.
I have cedar to dress it up and make a ladder. But I'm thinking that I like the "metric" 2x4's, that I used for bed slats. And they're cheap! I got two 16' for 8$.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:36 pm

Today I'm thinking I don't need a ladder. Got my mattress back up on bed. Sewed the Velcro back on my dinettes cushion, it's self stick that didn't.
Getting winter blah's and winter just started.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm

I was given a small generator with a blown motor. But HF has a motor that is suppose to fit it. It's a UST 1350. I don't think it will run my AC but he said it was quiet. And the HF is suppose to be a quiet motor too. I just need a sale and I'll get one.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Padilen, Howdy;

I know that free is the best price of all, but, for $179.00 from Amazon for brandy new
https://www.amazon.com/UST-GG1350-Start ... B00AJG158Q
and you've a bunch of free parts (now), and a warranty with the new. Me, ... I'd do
the new. But that's me.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:21 pm

We did look that up yesterday. And with shipping it's over 200$. The HF motor is 99$ but sometimes goes on sale.
This unit isn't what I want,it's just light weight and cheap. I own 2 bigger generators, that are loud and heavy. Someday I'll get one with electric start, and my arms,hands and shoulders will be happy.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions