Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:19 am

The condensate evaporation/splash function is an important ingredient to the heat pump cycle. Remember, That's what we are doing here, "pumping" the heat from one place to another. The heat is contained and moves in the water. That condensate is absent of heat and is just looking for some so it can become equal with the surrounding environment. The condenser is very hot and is looking for a way to shed that heat so the Freon can expand and absorb more heat. It becomes a vicious cycle if you remove one of the steps in the "heat pump" cycle. Kinda like sex, without the happy ending. It's just a bunch of work and no joy. In the end, you just lay there and stink ... :NC ... ...just sayin'...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

PMing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Ok I've been living dangerously- I've been thinking!
I think McDave you mean that discounting the splash pump isn't a good idea. Not that I have mine connected to a drain. I've read my book and it says a hose can be used. So I'm think that the drain port must be higher than the splash pump?

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Padilen wrote:Don,
I will definitely be asking tech when he gets here, if it's possible to disconnect. But I'd actually like to confirm it is possible or not first.

Yes.. good idea. The portable is a different animal in terms of packaging / usage and if they have a smaller condensor that depends on the water splash for minimal function, then it may not work at all. Air typically does it in the window units. I can tell you for sure the window unit I have doesn't care. It cools fine.. as I said earlier... maybe affects efficiency, but in my application, I can't tell.

Good luck. I hope they figure it out for you.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Champion generator is ordered and tracking number received. Beautiful day today and I have a lot on my list to do.
Here is why my roof will not be coated this weekend.
McDave my trees may not be having sex but the are trying to reproduce.

Padilen
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Went down to my moms, took my TAZ, and kayak&TW. No paddle no ride. And I found water on my floor!.. After looking for source I believe once again it's my filler tube for water tank. The water sloshes around and is forced out (?) even with 2 hose clamps. I know it sloshes outside and down the side of my trailer when towed too. There is very little "lift" in hose from tank to fill tube. So perhaps an in line shut off, will stop it from come out, but still need to stop it inside too.
The height is limited and it's set as high as possible now. Originally tank was suppose to be 1 inch lower, but that didn't work out with my water pump.
I'm also finding my mod to my bed is causing an issue seeing pin (stop's) holes. I'm struggling now when I didn't have a problem before. The bed slates and new bottom track stops are wonderful. I just need to either cut down the stop blocks or? drilling another set of stop holes, would not help me see them.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 pm

When I overfill my tanks (right to the filler neck where it starts to spit water from the vent hose) and hit the brakes relatively hard, you will see water dripping off my fenders, The water sloshes up the fill hoses... I guess I could find a one way valve somewhere to fix that or make a cork type plug for the inlet... but it does not leak inside.. so no harm. The first time that happened and I saw the dripping in my rear view, I freaked out. I just pictured a ruptured tank and water all over the inside... :frightened: :cry:

I just don't fill it up so high and no problems... I do have to hit the the brakes really hard though... there is at least an inch drop from inlet to tank... I would have raised the inlets higher had I known better... I just knew, for gravity to work, it needed to be higher than the tank and never really thought much more about it after that.

I thought I was the only one! ;) It is one of those things I made a mental note of in case there is a third build in the future.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 pm

The outside I don't mind so much other than it makes a mess on the dirt roads. And I live on a dirt road. But the water inside does bother me. Especially since I double clamped them.
I figured out my bed issue. It's really a me issue but I can't be straining to do it like I did the other day.
My cargo bar works for this.
So I'll get another for inside TAZ. Actually this one I did by first for a clothes rod. I use it in my truck bed a lot, very handy, so having 2 will be nice.

Last edited by Padilen on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Padilen wrote:The outside I don't mind so much other than it makes a mess on the dirt roads. And I live on a dirt road. But the water inside does bother me. Especially since I double clamped them.

How is the water leaking from the filler with a hose clamp? Is it not seated well or is there a crack in the hose? Have you filled it all the way up so it is spitting water at you and looked to see where it is leaking from? It is not like that is under pressure. It seems the leak would be obvious.

I had some trouble getting an exact fit for my fill hose and tank neck. It always seemed just a little too loose before clamping. I was afraid the clamp would just crimp the hose a bit and leak like you are describing. I had some rubber insulating tape I use for radio coax connections outdoors, so I wrapped the filler neck twice with that tape and then then hose fit snug. The hose clamp compressed it all nicely and it is very tight with no leaking.. I am not sure that would work well if it was pressurized, but good enough for a non pressurized connection that typically only sees water when filling. I have never seen the slightest sign of a leak there. Was your hose a tight fit before clamping or was it off such that it is rather loose?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:36 pm

That's just it! I have not a clue, were it's leaking. Wall by inlet is dry, tank is dry but water on the floor. I'm wondering if the sloshed outside water is working its way back in around the plastic for the gravity feed. It is a sloppy fit, suppose to twist and lock. Well mine doesn't lock. That retired RV dealer who was going to help me, he twisted it apart and it never fit back together right. So I'm thinking since it leaked - fixed, leaked, it may be how it fits together. When I remove cap to fill maybe it's loosening something. Or just allowing sloshed back in.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Back in April/May, I had a water tank leak and could not easily find it. It was hidden because it was against a wall. I had drilled a screw into it. Is it possible a similar accident like that could have happened?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:35 pm

That's another possibility. But I had towed it to work a couple of times and no leak. . I've been trying to think if I placed any screws up through floor in tank area. I can't see because I've insulated underneath. I used a flashlight to try and check sides and other end. Wasn't very successful.
But
I hung a "view" blocker on my door window. Added a zip tie to the tank fill tube maybe it's leaking there. I figured out a me issue with my lift bed-another cargo bar to hold bed so I can insert pins. And added 2 TAZ stickers to TAZ.
And I forgot the other day to say I bought a collapsable ottoman which I raised up on a little platform.
And not my TAZ, but for my moms TT. I cleaned the trim piece for her bedroom slide out. I think I've figured out awful yo attempt to remount it. Tricky when there is no plywood floor left!
Tomorrow I'm hoping the repairman comes. I will work on figuring out a stand or a mounting system for my hot water heater. And decide if and where I'm going to run my propane line.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am

Potable ac is fixed- well safety is added.
Generator should be here tomorrow and the repairman thinks it will run my AC without the hard start capacitor.
And my idea for a hole for the capacitor wiring wouldn't have worked as its part of the "pan" for condensation.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am

I believe that Champion will also. It is a bigger generator and it is the inverter type which tries to maintain a constant output independent of motor RPM. Basically there is an AC to DC to AC conversion going on and they typically handle surges more gracefully.

Only one way to find out... gotta try it. :-)

PS. Did the tech say how sensitive the unit is to needing the splash pump working. Is it designed to use this for minimum operation or is it just a means to squeeze a few more BTUs or efficiency out of the machine? My guess would be the latter, but you never know these days.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm

That will be great.
It finally started to warm up today so I went to test my AC.
Crap set at 68* and its 80* and raising!
Oh dummy I didn't reconnect the exhaust hose.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions