H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Postby nunrleft » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:34 pm

hankaye wrote:nunrleft, Howdy;

Good looking porch roof you have yourself :thumbsup: . Handy hint,
drop one corner when it rains so the middle doesn't get a belly in it/them.

hank

Exactly why we went with the adjustable outer posts from Cabella's instead of using solid conduit. That and because the parking pads are seldom level 8 feet to the side of the pad.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:43 pm

lrrowe wrote:I like it. I still prefer the quicker set up with a permanent unit, but your price is right. What issues might you have with the gap between the CT and the awning, rain wise?

And it has possibilites for me for the back over barn doors.

I'd prefer a permanent mount, electric awning. But at ten times the price I'll make due with this.

It actually rained on us this weekend. Being that the gap is right next to the trailer and you can't sit or stand there anyways because the tires and fenders are in the way, it really didn't have an affect with light rain. I'm sure the fact that my trailer has a rain shield over the RV door helped. That being said, in a heavy, driving rain you're gonna get wet no matter where you are under the awning.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:56 am

Thanks...that is sort of what I would expect.
BTW, I found Carefree of Colorado Pioneer Lite awnings on ebay for $399 complete plus $195 shipping to East Coast (shipping from CA). You have to watch the offerings for color choices one might like. I am having a hard time accepting the shipping costs.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby nunrleft » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:59 pm

lrrowe wrote:Thanks...that is sort of what I would expect.
BTW, I found Carefree of Colorado Pioneer Lite awnings on ebay for $399 complete plus $195 shipping to East Coast (shipping from CA). You have to watch the offerings for color choices one might like. I am having a hard time accepting the shipping costs.

Installation instructions show a required 6" clearance from the top of the door to the awning rail, which I don't have.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:18 pm

That does make a difference.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:23 pm

One solution that I have seen is to put a ladder rack on top of the CT and attach the awning to the side of that.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm in the process of trying to install an awning on my CTC. Not sure (without measuring) of my hight above door. But 6" or less I guess. I'm reusing awning rail and supports from another trailer. I've cut down the length to fit my CTC. I bought a roller for top of door to prevent rubbing when using door. My door will be in closed position except for enter/exit. I'll report in my thread if I get it figured out and working.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 pm

That is a GREAT solution for the awning issue. The price of the roll-up units is about what I have in the trailer, total. I have a hard time swallowing that one. Thanks for the info. Looks good.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby nunrleft » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:06 am

Rainier70 wrote:One solution that I have seen is to put a ladder rack on top of the CT and attach the awning to the side of that.

Not a bad thought but that would require drilling into my roof, which I didn't want to do. I've also got a roof mount air conditioner which would probably get in the way of a ladder rack. Being that my trailer roof is over 8 feet off the ground, it would be difficult to attach the awning if it were attached in past the sidewall.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:03 am

Gave the awning a test on a trip to Custer State Park. I'm glad I went with the adjustable outer poles.

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:16 pm

nunrleft wrote:Your link doesn't work, but yes I've looked into bag awnings and I don't believe one would work for me without some serious retro-fitting. I don't have an awning rail so one would need to be installed and the top of my door is nearly 8 feet off the ground....bag awning legs aren't long enough and I wouldn't be able to open my door. Plus, I wanted an 8 x 12 awing. I haven't found a bag awning 8 feet deep. The 12 footers available are a much more expensive than what I'm paying for this. In addition, the materials I'm using will be structurally superior to bag awnings and replacement parts are readily available and cheaper.

By the way, I had some time so I mounted the conduit hangers on my trailer today. Used the existing self tapping screws and some urethane caulk to prevent any leaks. Eight of them to hold the 12 feet of conduit.

hiya nunrleft,
I've got a question about your awning if you don't mind answering. So your awning runs 12 ft with the length of your trailer and extends out 8ft from your trailer? Did you stop it just before your door? Did you do the low peak lean-to style? I've been looking at several options for awnings and so far I like your solution best.

Thanks,
Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby nunrleft » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 am

m.colley wrote:
hiya nunrleft,
I've got a question about your awning if you don't mind answering. So your awning runs 12 ft with the length of your trailer and extends out 8ft from your trailer? Did you stop it just before your door? Did you do the low peak lean-to style? I've been looking at several options for awnings and so far I like your solution best.

Thanks,
Martin

Correct, 8x12 and it goes completely over the side door opening. Adjustable outer posts from Cabella's is the key for clearance over the swinging door. Style is their Lean-To style.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby Augie Dog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Awning looks great! While I am still building my CT in my mind an awning is a priority and I was going through scenario's of how I would do it. You solved the problem. :beer: What are you using for the frame, metal piping or pvc? Pvc would be lightweight but not sure of stability. Anyway it looks great and if you eventually want a nice rv awning mat to lay on the ground check this company out. They make very nice mats and I bought one when I still had my travel trailer and love it. https://www.rvawningmats.com/
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby nunrleft » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 am

Augie Dog wrote:Awning looks great! While I am still building my CT in my mind an awning is a priority and I was going through scenario's of how I would do it. You solved the problem. :beer: What are you using for the frame, metal piping or pvc? Pvc would be lightweight but not sure of stability. Anyway it looks great and if you eventually want a nice rv awning mat to lay on the ground check this company out. They make very nice mats and I bought one when I still had my travel trailer and love it. https://www.rvawningmats.com/

I'm using 1 inch Galvanized EMT Conduit. Go back a page and you'll see a complete list of the items used.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Custer State Park is an amazing place. That entire area up through the Black Hills all the way to Spearfish Canyon and the Needles Hwy are just amazing.
That awning is really great for the money, and frankly it's probably more durable in the long run. I'm really liking it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions