H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: H&H 14x7 V nose conversion in MN

Postby hankaye » Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 pm

nunrleft, Howdy;

Try one of these. Shop around PPL is a good place.
http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-ther ... ce=Froogle

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nunrleft » Mon May 11, 2015 11:25 pm

hankaye wrote:nunrleft, Howdy;

Try one of these. Shop around PPL is a good place.
http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-ther ... ce=Froogle

hank

Since I have a non-ducted system, what I would need is this: http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-3313 ... 31457.html This would remove the controls from the bottom of the unit and replace it with a new control box and wall mounted thermostat. We'll see how the a/c works this summer before I do any further upgrading.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Tue May 12, 2015 11:45 pm

The wife changed my mind. I ordered the kit to upgrade the a/c - heat strip to a thermostat control. Hopefully I receive it by this weekend so I can get it installed.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby nunrleft » Sun May 17, 2015 12:08 am

I received the thermostat and climate control kit on Friday, so spent a couple hours on Saturday installing it. The kit I ordered is the one I previously listed. Specifically made for units with heat coil installed. Little did I know that the control board isn't made to fit my particular a/c unit. It got installed anyhow. :D

Parts lined up to go in:

Cover off, shore power wires disconnected. The existing controls need to be removed (the metal box with the dials) including the 110v wiring box.

New box doesn't fit the old opening. So it gets mounted up above the frame, partially blocking the intake air. However, because there is now openings on each side of the control box (in areas that used to be filled) the actual opening size is almost the same. I was able to run a couple self tapping screws from the cross bar into the metal box. Even used a short length of plumber's strap to hold it in place. All the existing connections plugged right in.

Additional wiring had to be added and I didn't want to take down my ceiling to conceal the wires. Small notch to the cover. One set of wires to 12v + and ground, and three wires to the thermostat.

Wires covered with a self stick cover from Home Depot:

Thermostat mounted within reach of the bed:

All done. Took about 2 hours with the majority of the time running the wires:

Gave it a test in a/c mode. It was 80 degrees outside. Set the thermostat to 70 and within 15 minutes the interior was down to 70 and the unit shut off. It kicked back on about 10 minutes later when it warmed to 72, ran a couple minutes and shut back off. The wife will be happy. ;)

One of the other issues I found on our first outing was the lack of place to put our adult beverages when hanging out watching a movie. Folding, adjustable cup holders will be installed tomorrow:
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby ZoNiE » Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 am

Very nice build! :thumbsup:
2010 Skyline Nomad. Heavily modified. 400W solar. Honda EV4010.
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD V8.
Next TT Project: Alde Hydronic Heat.
ZoNiE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stinger381 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Awesome build. I am about to try about the same thing with my 7x16 cargo trailer. My biggest concern is that mine doesn't have windows. I want to order some and install but I don't want lo cut the rib supports. Was wondering if you had some more pics of how they installed the windows. It looks like the factory screwed the windows in the skin and then you have a trim ring that covered the Luan and secured the window to the interior paneling? Is that correct? Love the led lighting and will definitely have to try that. Looks great. I will be putting propane bottles on the tongue and using them to cook from. I already have the same ac unit that you have but will not run heat from it.
Stinger381
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nunrleft » Sun May 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Stinger381 wrote:Awesome build. I am about to try about the same thing with my 7x16 cargo trailer. My biggest concern is that mine doesn't have windows. I want to order some and install but I don't want lo cut the rib supports. Was wondering if you had some more pics of how they installed the windows. It looks like the factory screwed the windows in the skin and then you have a trim ring that covered the Luan and secured the window to the interior paneling? Is that correct? Love the led lighting and will definitely have to try that. Looks great. I will be putting propane bottles on the tongue and using them to cook from. I already have the same ac unit that you have but will not run heat from it.

I only have this one which shows part of the window framing:

The ribs of my trailer are 24 inches on center. The standard ribs are 1 1/4" square tubes. Note the ribs to the left and right of the windows. They are framed similar to a house window framing. Jack stud under the window and welded to the King stud which runs up past the window. The top and bottom of the window frames are also doubled and welded together. Then gussets were welded on each inside corner of the window.

By the way, I got my cup holders installed today:
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby Stinger381 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:21 pm

So are the windows screwed from the outside or do they simply wedge between the skin and plywood with the trim ring?

Thanks for the pic.
Stinger381
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nunrleft » Sun May 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Stinger381 wrote:So are the windows screwed from the outside or do they simply wedge between the skin and plywood with the trim ring?

Thanks for the pic.

Sealant on the outside and the trim ring on the inside screws to the window to pull it in tight. Like the stationary window in a door to a house.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby Stinger381 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 am

Ok I gotcha now. Now I just have to pick the right thickness of the window frame and order my windows. Shouldn't be too hard.
Stinger381
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nunrleft » Mon May 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Just got back from a weekend at the Hayward, WI KOA. The trailer worked flawlessly. Even had 20 straight hours of rain, so I plugged my phone into the television and watched a couple movies. Best upgrade is the climate control kit for the air conditioning unit. No more too hot or too cold. In fact, I've got it parked in the yard right now with the heat on to help dry out the dampness from the rain.

nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 am

Flawlessly doesn't mean perfect does it? Anything you would change now that you've camped in it?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby nunrleft » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm

rebapuck wrote:Flawlessly doesn't mean perfect does it? Anything you would change now that you've camped in it?

I actually asked my wife that question on the way back home from our Memorial Weekend trip. Neither of us could think of anything that we would change.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:14 am

It looks great. :thumbsup: How many tours did you give?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby nunrleft » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:03 pm

rebapuck wrote:It looks great. :thumbsup: How many tours did you give?

Only a couple this last outing. We'll have it at an upcoming motorcycle show here in St. Paul in a couple weeks. I expect to give dozens of tours there.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions