Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Postby Padilen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:51 am

hankaye wrote:tucked, Howdy;

You are aware of the Fiat/Chrysler recall and buyback ???
Difficult to tell what year your are showing us...
http://www.safercar.gov/rs/chrysler/index.html

hank

Do you know that the Jeeps in this recall ( for gas tanks) were built from 97 to 2007 and meet the standards at that time. And it takes being hit from behind with enough force to crush rear of vehicle and rupture gas tank. Years before Fiat was even part of Chrysler.
Most of the Dodge Ram recalls are for fixable things that owners failed to have recall work done. If the recall work was done your vehicle isn't part of the buy back. The vehicles bought back will be fixed and resold.
This forced action is asinine.
Year might be hard to tell but model isn't.
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Postby DustinS » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:01 am

Just curious, why did you opt for the 5x10 vs. say a 6x10 up to 7x14 (some of the more common conversion sizes)?

ETA: Regarding the recall, I'd be more worried about the hacked vehicles than anything else (can you imagine being in the vehicle and having little/no control over how fast you go?).
DustinS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tucked » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Padilen wrote:
hankaye wrote:tucked, Howdy;

You are aware of the Fiat/Chrysler recall and buyback ???
Difficult to tell what year your are showing us...
http://www.safercar.gov/rs/chrysler/index.html

hank

Do you know that the Jeeps in this recall ( for gas tanks) were built from 97 to 2007 and meet the standards at that time. And it takes being hit from behind with enough force to crush rear of vehicle and rupture gas tank. Years before Fiat was even part of Chrysler.
Most of the Dodge Ram recalls are for fixable things that owners failed to have recall work done. If the recall work was done your vehicle isn't part of the buy back. The vehicles bought back will be fixed and resold.
This forced action is asinine.
Year might be hard to tell but model isn't.

I didn't see any Wranglers or year range, so I think (hope) I'm good. New vehicle is a 2015.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tucked » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:53 pm

DustinS wrote:Just curious, why did you opt for the 5x10 vs. say a 6x10 up to 7x14 (some of the more common conversion sizes)?

ETA: Regarding the recall, I'd be more worried about the hacked vehicles than anything else (can you imagine being in the vehicle and having little/no control over how fast you go?).

Ultimately it came down to a combination of $$ and width, as I have a narrow gate to our back yard. What I wanted, was a used 6x12, with a ramp door, side door and v-nose. I ended up finding this 5x10 2015 model used, with all the features I wanted but a tad smaller. It had been bought by a company and used for < 6 months (never really used as company went out of business shortly after purchase). After pulling this into the back yard, I'm not certain a 6' would have made it through the gate. I also had concern about weight as I was towing with a Toyota Tacoma (now a Jeep Wrangler). 5x10 seems like a good fit for me now.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Newbie w/ a 5x10 V-nose

Postby Padilen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Glad you figured your tow vehicle in the equation. On the pick-up truck forums they're buying 1500's for ride comfort and then towing trailers that are to long and heavy. No recall on stupid yet.
But I'd have made it fit! I'd change - or move the gate or find another way in
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby tucked » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Having something easy enough to tow with my Tacoma was top priority (even more so now with my Jeep). Making it fit, would have been nice, but there is simply no room between the house and the property line (and neighbors gate/fence) it's as wide of an opening as it will ever get.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Move?
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Speaking about Jeeps. At church someone came up to me and said. Aren't you glad you got rid of your Jeep? I asked Why? They said well it's recalled to be bought back! I said no my former Jeep isn't involved in the buy back- but my Pickup truck could be.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby tucked » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:22 pm

FINALLY got some time to work on my trailer. I was able to get insulation installed in the walls. (Still going to do ceiling). I also ordered two 14" x 16" vertical sliding windows to install in the curb side, a 18" x 28" cargo baggage door to install in the street side "v" to put a window ac unit through. I have additionally changed plans for the bed (hopefully temporarily). Rather than doing a folding bed, I ordered E-Track and the 2x4 brackets to do a raised queen bed over the back half. While I still want to work on a folding bed option, my original plan utilized the E-Track and 2x4 brackets... so I can work on that any time.

Also finally got to take the trailer for a spin with the new tow vehicle. Getting excited for my first trip!!!!

tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tucked » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Ceiling insulation panels in place today... Except for the "v".... Trying to figure the best way to get the panel cut perfectly for the front section.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tucked » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Got the rest of the ceiling done.... I used duct tape on the "v".... Covering it completely... Then trimmed the tape... Peeled it off the ceiling and transferred that you the foam. It worked really well! Waiting for the windows, access doors and e-track to get here before putting up the rest of the trim. Happy with the progress I've made so far.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby deceiver » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:00 pm

tucked wrote:Ceiling insulation panels in place today... Except for the "v".... Trying to figure the best way to get the panel cut perfectly for the front section.

I cut three narrow strips of 1/8" plywood and pin nailed them together in a triangle then used that as a pattern.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby tucked » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:20 pm

First of 2 access doors are in. This one in the road side V to house a slide in/out window AC Unit. Welded in 1"x1" square tubing above and below... and screwed around the outside to hold it in place. I haven't cut the interior boards yet, as it will be cut specifically for the AC Unit I go with.

tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tucked » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 pm

Had some more free time today... so got the 2 curb side windows in, Curb side access door in, E-Track up for the platform bed, Spare tire mounted inside under the E-Track, and the Window AC Bracing in to hold the AC Unit.

tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Very neatly done.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions