Outdoor Lighting - Velcro suggestions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Outdoor Lighting - Velcro suggestions

Postby khigh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Anyone know what you'd spec for super heavy duty outdoor rated Velcro?

I got one of the Harbor Freight 60 LED solar security lights on their big sale this weekend and I'd like to mount it between the door and window

It would be easy enough to back out one of the screws, run it through the bracket, and run it back in. But I think it makes the light look a little unwieldy - mess up the flow of the trailer, plus then of course I'd be driving with this whole fixture hanging off a dangly bit of metal.

I think it looks a lot better flush mounted to the wall. Plus then of course it's removable for travel if I use Velcro.

Any suggestions to what to look for in Velcro that will be permanently outdoors? I'd keep the light on it when not traveling for home use, so it would be working full time. I'm not even as concerned about the Velcro I guess as the adhesive used to mount it. Anything along the lines of VHB Velcro?
khigh
Teardrop Master

Re: Outdoor Lighting - Velcro suggestions

Postby wtcreaux » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:26 pm

No info on Velcro, but I did mount mine, using the screws in the top rail.

127362 127363 129990
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby khigh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Does it make noise when you're driving?

I can't mount mine that high because it will interfere with the awning. I was sweating having to put a hole in the awning to run the wire to the solar panel, but it's got at least 20 feet of wire, so I can run it down to the end and then back onto the roof.
khigh
Teardrop Master

Postby Wookie97 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Instead of Velcro can you use strong Earth Magnets? I know the outside skin is probably aluminum but the studs in the walls are steal. You can probably use something like these:
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magcraft-nsn0612/

I think Velcro wouldn't last as long due to heat on and weight. Just a thought.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby khigh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm going to have to play with it some and see how committed I am to that flush mount look.

It certainly looks better on the trailer, but I'm thinking since it's not adjustable for light output, there could be a situation where it's too bright, and if I keep the vertical pivot, I could point it up into the awning and just use the reflected light.

If I do that, one option would be to permanently mount the bracket. The fixture comes off with plastic thumbnuts.
khigh
Teardrop Master

Postby khigh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:22 pm

OR!

Scrap the bracket and replace it with a pair of triangular hinges - fold them flat for travel, probably secured with a cable tie.

khigh
Teardrop Master

Postby wtcreaux » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm

khigh wrote:Does it make noise when you're driving?.

Don't know......in this part of the Republic, windows up, AC on HIGH...... :beer:
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:34 am

I stumbled accross this light setup this morning. I thought I could be a nice exterior light for a TD that doesn't have power in the walls.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4CKWEG/re ... 9aa01286_S
Its solar powered, motion sensing and only 2 inches thick.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby MADTRAPPER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:52 am

Looks like a nice light how dose it work so far. Looking for right light too. I'll check our Canada amazon

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on toilet.
MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:59 am

MADTRAPPER wrote:Looks like a nice light how dose it work so far. Looking for right light too. I'll check our Canada amazon

I don't know, I don't have one. I just saw the add and thought I would pass the idea along.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:32 pm

How about something like a CB Microphone Holder? Just hang it up when needed.
Last edited by Hader on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 pm

As far as Velcro, I bought some Velcro straps once. Basically a cinch type deal with a buckle and then Velcro to fasten/lock.
http://www.hoseandfittingsupply.com/Han ... p-p/hs.htm
Have you seen that light at night? I have 2 18wt led lights for work lights and backup lights mounted over the ramp. Do NOT look directly at them. Very bright! With the motion detector and the altitude it's mounted at, I can see the potential for some "Brown Trouser" moments with a security light like yours.
This is what I'm using, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O ... UTF8&psc=1
It's a very nice light, works flawlessly. Draws 2.52 watts when light is activated. In the ready mode less than .001wt, I can't measure loads smaller than that. The auto mode will only activate if the photocell senses dusk- dawn, and the battery has more than 11.5v. If batt. is less a red led warns you, and light won't activate unless switched to manual mode. Has a 200 lumen led that is pretty darn bright if your not ready for it. Turns off after 60 sec. if it does not see "motion". It uses PIR sensors, (pyrometric Infra Red) :shock: Uses the standard mounting holes if you have a RV porch lite. It also had a trigger wire to activate a relay to power another device when light is activated.
For me, the right solution. I love it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 pm

McDave, Howdy;

"PIR sensors, (pyrometric Infra Red)" just means it needs to be a warm body to get it to turn on.
Won't work for snakes and other cold blooded critters, which in Fl. means 'gators an such ...
It will work for Gentel Ben but not Albert Alligator, Pogo's BFF.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cpinetree » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:36 pm

khigh wrote:Anyone know what you'd spec for super heavy duty outdoor rated Velcro?

Any suggestions to what to look for in Velcro that will be permanently outdoors? I'd keep the light on it when not traveling for home use, so it would be working full time. I'm not even as concerned about the Velcro I guess as the adhesive used to mount it. Anything along the lines of VHB Velcro?

3M Dual-lock
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fasteners/
cpinetree
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 am

Socal Tom wrote:
MADTRAPPER wrote:Looks like a nice light how dose it work so far. Looking for right light too. I'll check our Canada amazon

I don't know, I don't have one. I just saw the add and thought I would pass the idea along.

I ended up getting something similar from Home Depot. They worked well, came on automatically at dusk with a dim setting . The motion sensor worked well and picked up motion quite a while away.
ImageImage
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions