New Proline conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Proline conversion coming...

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

One of my favorite trailers with my favorite truck. You'll love that engine. My trailer is heavier than yours, and that Ford pulls it up and down the Rocky Mountains just fine. Enjoy your trip! :beer:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Great Trailer and great easy living build too!

How long did it take to build your trailer,I mean the factory from the time of order?

I am doing a job in Down East Maine and need to drive back there in a month or so and now am thinking about looking at the factory or more!

Are you anywhere near Acadia?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby deceiver » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm

EZDog wrote:Great Trailer and great easy living build too!

How long did it take to build your trailer,I mean the factory from the time of order?

I am doing a job in Down East Maine and need to drive back there in a month or so and now am thinking about looking at the factory or more!

I'm in southern maine near the NH border. Acadai is 200 miles north of me. When I ordered they said it would take two weeks and it did. I think it all depends on how many orders they have at once. The are Proline.com in milton NH.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby deceiver » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Just back from a month out with the camper. 5000 miles. Maine-down the coast-florida-georgia-alabama-arkansas-then back north. We saw tons of stuff; Kitty hawk, aviation museums, cave tours, toured Jack Danielles distillery, Space camp... etc. Boondocked at Crackerbarrels till South Carolina. The Camper went well. When we boondocked I didn't have anyplace to plug into so we used the propane heater while we were awake. Woke up one morning and it was 14 degree Farenheit. Still we were warm enough. Boy, Arkansas really knows how to do up their State campgrounds. Surprised me.

Two things happened that I'm concerned about.

When I take a really tight turn while backing up into a campsite I have damaged the side of the V of the trailer because the tongue isn't quite long enough.
Second, I wanted to turn around in a hotel parking lot in St. Augusting Fl. The clearance at the registration door said 8 ft. But the beams inside were lower..... Was I mad. Now I've got a small dent at the very top of the front of the trailer. I can get it out, but geesh. False advertising.

Next big trip is along rte 66 and out to Colorado in the late summer/fall. One of two continental states I haven't been to. Other camping and family camping things going on this summer.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Sounds like a great trip overall. As for the turning concern, I noticed that when I went to an extended hitch, I could turn tighter without worrying as much about the jackknife effect. My trailer still tows fine, but I can open the tail gate worry-free, and turn as tight as the wheel will go. Easier backing into tight spaces as I can have a 90 degree angle between truck and trailer, if necessary, without the dents.

Colorado is a busy state in many areas, but it has some jewels too. I spent over a decade there, but now consider it "southeast of Paradise." Enjoy.

Here's the hitch I'm using. Should have got it on day one. http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Hitch-80232-Class-Square/dp/B001P1Z2LU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1459293389&sr=1-1&keywords=Hidden+Hitch+80232+2%22+Class+III+Square+Ball+Mount
Last edited by Gonefishin on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Someday I'm going to go somewhere!
I give you this link,
Hitch extension question. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=65635
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:45 am

Thanks,once I re-read your first post I realized you were down near the factory too?
I asked as I am working there as I said and am really impressed by the construction and quality of this trailer and equally shocked by the lack of both in the new trailer that I just bought!
It seems almost like Fate that I will be near the Mothership for Pro Line and maybe I will look into one of these rigs as a much better investment overall?

Buy Once,Cry Once! for Quality Every time.

Do you know if the framing on the sidewalls is like it is on yours because of the Diamond plate or are all of them boxed on the floor level like that?
I think I will give the factory a call and just ask. :thinking:

Thanks
Ed

deceiver wrote:
EZDog wrote:Great Trailer and great easy living build too!

I'm in southern maine near the NH border. Acadai is 200 miles north of me. When I ordered they said it would take two weeks and it did. I think it all depends on how many orders they have at once. The are Proline.com in milton NH.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Installed AC (I'm leaving this here but IT DID NOT WORK)

Postby deceiver » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 6.44.06 PM.jpg
AC on my tailgate...
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 6.44.06 PM.jpg (79.26 KiB) Viewed 4935 times

Well, the cargo converson is going well and we've put about 12,000 miles on it so far. In August we're planning a trip to Colorado partially via route 66. I've only passed through Colorado but never toured it like other states. It looks like there is as much to see there as any other 4 states.

I had a small air conditioner in my teardrop. I'd mount it against the screen on the door. My conversion usually doesn't need AC since we don't travel out west much and we're in Maine. But for Colorado I though it might be nice to have the ability to put in AC 'temporarily'. I took the same air conditioner used in the teardrop and attached it with RV sewer hose to the new trailer. The AC will exist on the tailgate of the truck and attach to the trailer and be controled by the trailers electric heater thermostat. Damn it it doesn't work...

See a video of it in action here: https://youtu.be/U4h7OamiFek
Last edited by deceiver on Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 pm

Your 3" hose is a restriction that slows air flow. A booster fan would help.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:03 pm

In the video it shows he's got a Fantastic Fan in an open roof vent. That looks like plenty of ventilation and air circulation for a 3" intake.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:26 pm

In my posts on my CT AC hack efforts, i used 4in tubing and I recirculated the cooled air pumped into the trailer. I also added two fans on each duct to help the air movement. On the hot days of July, I was never really happy with the cooling results. During our recent camping trip at Fort Chiswell, my system did not even keep up with the cooler night ait temps.

Then my wife got sick afterwards with issues with her lungs which her first doctor questioned if it was from the hacked AC unit which I keep on the ground when used (mold, mildew, ??). I do not believe this to be so but to be safe as she was hit pretty severely with the lung issue, I am scrapping the whole AC hack idea and putting the unit in the walls just like a window unit.

I will post pictures and more issues with the plenum box I built in my build thread over the next few days. I will add that after just a few hours of being installed the "typical" unkacked way, the results were significantly better.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby deceiver » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:36 pm

pchast wrote:Your 3" hose is a restriction that slows air flow. A booster fan would help.
:thinking:

The goal is to cool the trailer the easiest way. The AC is a 5000 btu bedroom one. I'm doutful that the unit itself could push air out more than the 3" hose can keep up with. The max fan in the cieling actually isn't to vent the air from the trailer. The trailer is sealed enough that it acts as a booster fan. When I turn it on I can tell the difference right away in the volume of air that is sucked in. When I open the door I can feel the rush of air as it's cracked open.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby deceiver » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

lrrowe wrote:In my posts on my CT AC hack efforts, i used 4in tubing and I recirculated the cooled air pumped into the trailer. I also added two fans on each duct to help the air movement. On the hot days of July, I was never really happy with the cooling results. During our recent camping trip at Fort Chiswell, my system did not even keep up with the cooler night ait temps.

Then my wife got sick afterwards with issues with her lungs which her first doctor questioned if it was from the hacked AC unit which I keep on the ground when used (mold, mildew, ??). I do not believe this to be so but to be safe as she was hit pretty severely with the lung issue, I am scrapping the whole AC hack idea and putting the unit in the walls just like a window unit.

I will post pictures and more issues with the plenum box I built in my build thread over the next few days. I will add that after just a few hours of being installed the "typical" unkacked way, the results were significantly better.

When I tried the AC before installation I turned the AC unit on and no matter how hot the air was the output was cold air. I thought that I could keep it simple buy not recirculating. The hose and ac are dry right now. I hope I don't run into the same thing you did with the possibility of mold. We won't be using it much and I think I can keep it fairly clean. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to your pictures.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby m.colley » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:28 am

deceiver wrote:When I tried the AC before installation I turned the AC unit on and no matter how hot the air was the output was cold air. I thought that I could keep it simple buy not recirculating.

Deciever,
Herein lies the the root of your problem, and there are multiple issues. The 3" hose is one, the no return air recirculating is another. Right now what you have created is basically the same thing as one of the portable AC units. The are numerous threads on this forum as to how well they DON'T work and why they don't work. The only difference being your unit sits outside.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby deceiver » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:22 pm

m.colley wrote:
deceiver wrote:When I tried the AC before installation I turned the AC unit on and no matter how hot the air was the output was cold air. I thought that I could keep it simple buy not recirculating.

Deciever,
Herein lies the the root of your problem, and there are multiple issues. The 3" hose is one, the no return air recirculating is another. Right now what you have created is basically the same thing as one of the portable AC units. The are numerous threads on this forum as to how well they DON'T work and why they don't work. The only difference being your unit sits outside.

Martin

Are you sure? Being outside means the heat from the exchanger stays outside. This morning the temperature outside the camper was 81, inside it was 84 degrees. I put the unit on and turned on the fan to draw the air in through the ac hose. An hour later this is the temperature on the indoor/outdoor thermometer. And I can feel the cold air being pushed by the AC and pulled by the ceiling fan. The air is cold from the hose. The air outside is hot. If this is impossible to make work then I guess I'll take it. But, I know I don't know everything. I'd like to know why it doesn't work. I don't have an indoor portable unit here. It's outdoors. And yes it does produce a lot of moisture on the ground, just like a dehumidifier. And I know it's coming from the outside air. Doesn't matter as long as it's outside.

DSC00495.jpg
Indoor/outdoor temp after running one hour with original temp inside at 84 degrees.
DSC00495.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions