Slide-in utility trailer unit/pod tall enough to stand in?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Slide-in utility trailer unit/pod tall enough to stand in?

Postby zuren » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I've tried to do some googling but always end up with websites for truck bed campers or dedicated DIY travel trailer builds using a utility trailer as a base. I need to dig around on this site more but has anyone seen or built a stand alone "pod" that is tall enough for a 6'+ adult to stand in that would roll, slide or lift into a utility trailer? I have a 5x8' tilt bed utility trailer that will need some rehab and upgrades this winter. The trailer needs to retain the ability to haul brush, dirt, tractor, etc. and having the ability to slide a living unit on-board to take the family camping (when needed) would be nice. I'm 6'2" so interior height would need to be around 6'3"+. I'm just exploring feasibility at this point. There may be good reason why I haven't found much; too much time and trouble to make it removable? The biggest challenge I see is securing it to the trailer.

Trailers such as the Scamp and Casita fiberglass trailers look very basic and nice but I do not love the idea of another trailer sitting in the yard. I've seen guys put truck bed campers in a trailer which could work but the over-cab area being too far forward could be an issue. If I had a slide off unit, I could "store" it on a paver pad near my pond as extended guest housing (especially if I made it look like a little cabin or shed). Overall, it would be a very basic design:

- 6'3" interior height min.
- Dinette/bed
- Maybe a couch at 1 end
- Small enclosure for portable or composting toilet
- Small counter with sink; removable holding tank below and gravity fed water supply above
- Some sort of propane heating solution
- Minimal outlets and LED lighting run from a 12v deep cycle
- No complicated plumbing, pumps or holding tanks
- No kitchen/cooking indoors
- Load via a trailer mounted winch or truck bed camper jacks

I'm just starting my research and vetting ideas to see what is possible. Thanks for any suggestions. If finding a used Scamp or sticking to the 6-man tent is my bet, I can go that route too.

Thanks!
zuren
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Slide-in utility trailer unit/pod tall enough to stand i

Postby wtcreaux » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:55 pm

wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 am

Can't wait to see your build
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 am

That's a lot of features to fit on a 5' x 8' trailer. I'd take a look at the "Compact" design in the Design Library. (Here's a direct link: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear48.htm.) Maybe you could adapt the design to overhang the side frame rails.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:51 pm

zuren, Howdy;

Try looking around on this site;
http://tinyhousetalk.com/
They also have a weekly news letter that lists more than a few new suggestions each week.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby M C Toyer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Though not as ambitious in features or as large as your plans I recently built a slide in shell to carry my motorcycle and also provide a fully enclosed sleeping and storage area, plus a small swing out galley.

One thing you might want to consider re the removal and storage of your unit would be to build a pad/base the same height as your trailer bed and add permanent fixed casters to the unit so the loading and unloading will not involve any lifting. The unit could be secured with a bolt down chock behind the rear pair of casters PLUS turnbuckles and eye-bolts on the four corners of the unit. Also include lock-nuts on the threaded shaft of the turnbuckles to keep them from vibrating loose.

On my smaller slide in unit I just roll it in and out on two lengths of 1" diameter pvc conduit.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby DustinS » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:02 pm

I am going to go outside the "box." First, think of a connex (also called intermodals and shipping containers), how on the ends (or near in the case of 53' long versions). They have a locking mechanism that secures them to the rail car or to a special trailer to move by truck, and also to stack on top of each other in storage facilities and ships. Maybe that is a way to secure it to your trailer, yet have it removable?

Second, what if you built an extender, so some can hang off the end of the trailer and to support the weight has a set of wheels (think of a cement truck, that has that extra drop wheel set for when it is fully loaded). That way you can get a longer trailer without permanent modifications?
DustinS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:16 am

zuren, Howdy;

This is what DustinS was referring to (3rd from Left top row).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Intermo ... ctor+locks

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rod S » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm

If you want a camping pod to put inside your current 5x8 trailer Jumping Jack campers will sell just the pods if you want. http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/ I have not seen one personally, I just ran across this one on a internet search.
Rod S
Teardrop Inspector

Postby zuren » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 am

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I'm revisiting this idea...

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the modular shelters from Quite Lite (formerly Teal International)?

https://www.quitelite.com/

https://www.facebook.com/QuiteLite/

They seem to have an online presence and have some recent activity on their Facebook page, but I don't see availability or pricing. This is getting toward the same idea I posted. If it were built on a separate base with skids, it could left assembled and slid in/out.

I've also been looking at the method of creating structural panels with rigid foam, fabric, and glue to build my own.
zuren
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulzOx » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm

This might be a good option for you. I do not know how much it is but I came across it the other day.

https://newatlas.com/teal-camper-like-a-puzzle/22329/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 pm

I'm thinking that by the time you design and pay for a system that allows you to easily, efficiently and quickly move a 1,500-lb+ camper shell off a utility trailer, you're halfway to just paying for a new trailer already :D

A time-tested method for a removable box is, as others have suggested, a wheel-in-track system with the necessary structural reinforcements and jacks to make it happen. It's not super-complicated; just time-consuming. I like Toyer's idea to make the permanent mounting base the same height as your trailer bed.

5x8 does sound rather small for all those features. You'd have some crazy overhangs! Are you going places (e.g. off-roading of any sort) where you can't afford the higher center of gravity and reduced stability?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby wysedav » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm

If the trailer tilts it seems like you could mount a winch at the top of the bed and then just drag it onto the trailer. To unload just tie it to a tree and drive away. With a little thought you could make the winch mount so you can attach to the TV for when you’re off road.

Maybe some scooter wheels on the front to help with the drag onto the trailer.
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:19 pm

I really like the idea of one trailer that can adapt to multiple uses. The pod concept seems like a reasonable approach for a flatbed trailer.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby fourbtgait » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:03 pm

I did a benroy body that fit into my 5X10 utility trailer. I documented the build. Lifted it off with 2 winches.
So yes, it can be done but truthfully its a PITA to take on/off, bolt it down, etc. only took 30-45 minutes to do.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions