7 x 14 Trail Boss

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7 x 14 Trail Boss

Postby Stormcrow » Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 am

hankaye wrote:Stormcrow, Howdy;

Another impressive build with all sorts of metal fab work going on, I feel so inadequate :bowdown: ...

Yup, 7 month Summer startin' had our first 100° day yesterday again today ... an the ''lectric meter
goes roundy-go-roundy faster an faster day after day :( BUT! On the bright side, it's
a dry heat only 8% humidity.

hank

Hank – thanks for the compliments! I cleaned out the swamp cooler and changed the pads this weekend. Helped make it a bit more comfortable this weekend.

Made some good progress on the trailer. Also picked up a porta-potti to make things more wife-friendly.
Image20180514_170711

Opened up the holes on one side of the frame to allow clearance for a deep socket
Image20180511_165130

Cut out a section of the interior framework.
Image20180519_130151

Tack welded the replacement frame in place
Image20180519_141924

Everything look good. Next step was to drill holes in the four corners and saws-all the piece out. Was excited at all the progress, got sloppy, and ended up drilling two holes in the wrong corners. :x Oh, well…more patching.

Good news is that the hatch fits in there perfectly.
Image20180519_155233

Image20180519_155326

Cut out a piece of 1/8” plate and welded a few small bolts to it. Re-purposed a handle I had kicking around
Image20180519_155426

Image20180519_155707
Todd.

7x14 Trail Boss: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64755
Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby Stormcrow » Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 am

That squared away, I needed some way to keep the cover in place. Wanted something stout enough to torque on, but didn’t have anything readily available in the pile so had to improvise. What I did have was some old hitch receiver tube that was ¼” thick. So put the band saw to use.
Image20180518_190626

Yielded me four sections of material. Cut a couple small pieces to size for spacers and two larger one for the latches.
Image20180519_103756

Some drilling and grinding
Image20180519_122756

Welded it together, so the latch is captured between the spacer and carriage bolt head
Image20180520_142410

Welded the assembly to the interior framework
Image20180520_153333

Welded studs (the other end of the carriage bolt head that was cut off) to the cover and the end result is a (hopefully) secured hatch
Image20180520_165256

That’s it so far. Next up is to fab something to keep the A/C unit from falling out the hole in the side of the trailer.
Todd.

Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Stormcrow, Howdy;

I have, for most of my adult (?), life had a very huge case of garage envy. Mostly
been an apartment dweller, then caretaker on a few properties with no place for my
own vehicles. I do practice acceptance as there is nothing I can/could do about that.
Now, I find folks with shops, not just a simple place to cut a chunk of wood
or tweak a chair that got loosened up by some teenagers or something else along those
lines. NO, these folks have full blown SHOPS!. Beginning to know what
Rodney Dangerfield was muttering about ... :(

I'm going to sulk in a corner now...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Yeah, it's nice to have the good stuff if want to do the work yourself. But you still must have the skills to design and build. you don't need a full workshop of tools, but it helps. I knew a guy who had a Shopsmith multi tool and he could do just about anything you could imagine. He built an entire suit of armour that was amazing. Then he built one for his dog!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 am

hankaye wrote:I have, for most of my adult (?), life had a very huge case of garage envy.

Beginning to know what Rodney Dangerfield was muttering about ... :(

hank

Haha,
Hank, you have to keep reminding yourself about that less complicated life you have been striving for. Having lots of stuff can be very stressful at times. :x :CC :?
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Really a great idea for the multipurpose opening that can be re-purposed depending on the season and need. Nice job! Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Stormcrow » Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 am

I have, for most of my adult (?), life had a very huge case of garage envy. Mostly
been an apartment dweller, then caretaker on a few properties with no place for my
own vehicles. I do practice acceptance as there is nothing I can/could do about that.
Now, I find folks with shops, not just a simple place to cut a chunk of wood
or tweak a chair that got loosened up by some teenagers or something else along those
lines. NO, these folks have full blown SHOPS!. Beginning to know what
Rodney Dangerfield was muttering about ... :(

hank

Hank - First, let me say my posting intent is not to have you, or anyone else, feel bad. I have gleaned so much information from lurking these sites I feel compelled to contribute a bit of my own story in hopes it might return a little of what I’ve gained. You personally have given me (even if unknowingly) bits of wisdom and gems of information that I’ve used or tucked away for future reference and I certainly appreciate it. I always find it entertaining and helpful when people post pictures of their projects and hopefully you will continue to view and post your comments and suggestions here.

And yes, the shop is probably more than this guy deserves or needs but the wife and I work hard for it and I thoroughly enjoy the space and ability to tinker with things. I can relate to some of what you’re feeling, though…one of the other main sites I peruse is the Garage Journal and sometimes I look at these other guys’ places and feel my shop is small and agricultural compared to their large and imperialistic set-ups. But then I try to focus on what I have and am very grateful for it.

McDave wrote:Yeah, it's nice to have the good stuff if want to do the work yourself. But you still must have the skills to design and build. you don't need a full workshop of tools, but it helps. I knew a guy who had a Shopsmith multi tool and he could do just about anything you could imagine. He built an entire suit of armour that was amazing. Then he built one for his dog!

McDave

McDave – Completely agree. I have a buddy that built a 1966 Bronco in half of his garage with minimal tools. Not sure if I have that level of skill and I definitely think I might have a tool addiction problem.

Iconfabul8 wrote:Having lots of stuff can be very stressful at times. :x :CC :?

Iconfabul8 - My mom told me once that “you are a slave to the things you own”, which I have come to some understanding with. In my case with the shop, tools, and such…more often than not it’s less work than it is therapy. At this point in my life I’m willing to take the bad with the good.

flboy wrote:Really a great idea for the multipurpose opening that can be re-purposed depending on the season and need. Nice job! Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don – Thanks and thank you for stopping by! I’m thinking my build here will be functional and durable - but if it comes out half as nice as your trailer, I’ll consider it a win!

Back to the trailer – small progress steps

Made this little guy
Image20180522_160556

Which made its permanent home here
Image20180522_175529

So when ready to deploy the A/C unit you pull the hatch cover off the wall, flip it over and use the same studs to secure it as a platform for the A/C to rest on. In theory, at least.
Image20180522_175651

Now I just need to figure out some sort of support system for the outside. Something triangulated possibly.
Image20180522_175705
Todd.

Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Stormcrow, Howdy;

:oops: , Thanks for the kind words, Haven't heard/seen many for the mostest part of my life
didn't truly rate them back then. But even a hog cleans it's act up once in awhile :roll: .

About you outboard support, why not a simple extension post. One piece of metal/wood whatever,
that slides inside a C-channel with a couple of wing-nuts the maintain the selected height? It would
allow for support on any grade or elevation differences and leaves the exterior uncluttered.
Just keepin' it simple...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Stormcrow » Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm

About you outboard support, why not a simple extension post. One piece of metal/wood whatever,
that slides inside a C-channel with a couple of wing-nuts the maintain the selected height? It would
allow for support on any grade or elevation differences and leaves the exterior uncluttered.
Just keepin' it simple...

hank

Hmmm…I like simple. Unfortunately my thought process seems to gravitate straight towards “unnecessarily complicated”. This is what I was thinking of doing.
Imagesupport concept
The red is a small piece of angle iron welded to a plate that would get sheet-metal screwed to the trailer wall below the opening. On the blue assembly - the ½” rod drops into the angle iron and the notched plate up top gets secured to the wing-nut on the hatch.

I do like the idea of not putting more holes in the trailer. Not sure I want to go straight to the ground with the support, but the fender is below the hatch and is pretty beefy. Might be able to just attach a straight piece of something to that instead. Gives me something to think about, thanks! :thumbsup:
Todd.

Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby shootr » Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Well this has been a most enjoyable read - can't thank you enough for the great detailed explanations, photo's, and reasoning. Though lacking the skills, I can't get enough of quality home-thoughtout engineering. :beer:

As I start the planning stages for a cargo trailer conversion - you've pointed out a ton of things to keep in mind and appreciate it.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Stormcrow » Tue May 29, 2018 4:12 pm

shootr wrote:Well this has been a most enjoyable read - can't thank you enough for the great detailed explanations, photo's, and reasoning. Though lacking the skills, I can't get enough of quality home-thoughtout engineering. :beer:

As I start the planning stages for a cargo trailer conversion - you've pointed out a ton of things to keep in mind and appreciate it.

Shootr – Thanks for visiting and taking the time to check out my progress! Glad to hear you are finding it useful.

Well, after much deliberation and some trial-and-error I decided to stick with the triangular configuration. Just seemed right to me and it wasn’t much more work.
Image20180526_111754

Image20180526_112231

Image20180526_135951

Image20180526_140006

The A/C unit also came with some attachment for the top, which I’m guessing (haven’t read the instructions yet) is for the upper window sill. Didn’t really work for me, but I did use the piece to get the hole pattern and made my own bracket to put in its place. Welded a couple wing nuts to some all-thread and then matching nuts to the top of the frame there. This will secure the unit from the inside, assuring it won’t go anywhere, either accidental bumps or if someone on the outsides thinks they need it more than me.
Image20180526_135941

Left the trailer out in the sun around noon to let it heat up. Turned the A/C on and after 45 minutes or so it was nice and cool inside. Even though it wasn't that hot this weekend (think it only got up to 95 or so) I think it will do the job. Hopefully more efficient after insulation is installed.

Paint is currently drying on the parts. Might get around to installing it tomorrow after work.
Todd.

Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Beautiful work! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Stormcrow, Howdy;

Well, all I can do is offer suggestions maybe point to a link for something or other.

Glad you found what works for you, apparently "Overbuild" isn't in your vocabulary
or you haven't found the boundary for where it begins, in your world.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Very nice AC install!! Awesome fabrication skills! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Stormcrow » Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:Beautiful work! :applause:

featherliteCT1 - Thanks and thank you for stopping by!

flboy wrote:Very nice AC install!! Awesome fabrication skills! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don – Thank you! Your build sets the bar pretty high for cargo conversions. Not sure mine will be quite so nice, but should be at least durable and functional.

Well, all I can do is offer suggestions maybe point to a link for something or other.

Glad you found what works for you, apparently "Overbuild" isn't in your vocabulary
or you haven't found the boundary for where it begins, in your world.

hank

Hank – Definitely appreciate the input. I spent some time mocking up a support system based off your idea. In the end it just didn’t feel as “right” to me as what’s there now. And yes, I have been accused of overbuilding things in the past. I’m sure I’ll pay the price in added weight, but right now I’m willing to accept that compromise. We’ll see how it pans out in the end.

So didn’t get to installing the A/C painted hardware, but since we’re talking about overbuilding…and it is kind of related to this forum/thread…here’s a “tiny trailer” I built for around the house. Started with a need to spray for weeds and my little 2 gallon pump sprayer wasn’t cutting it any more at the new house. Sure you can go buy a tow-behind sprayer already built, but what fun is that?

Started with the axle I replaced in the cargo trailer. To shorten it, I cut a section out of axle tube and welded it back together.
Image20150720 006_zpsqjqcpz4t

The tires are the no-flat variety from Home Depot. I cut the hubs off the axle and welded on some coupler nuts. A 5/8 bolt runs through the wheel hub and into the coupler nut. Another nut on the back end keeps it from loosening up.
ImageAxle 2_zps9qqjdeu6

1” and 2” square tubing make up the frame. Fab’d up some shackles and attached to the frame.
ImageCart 1_zps4id6ecrt

Here it is all finished, displaying its primary purpose as a tow-behind sprayer. Oh, also made a mini-receiver hitch thing at either end. One for the broadcast sprayer and an attachment method for hooking it to the John Deere.
Image20150720 008_zpshzkt2ppz

The broadcast sprayer is nice, puts down around an 8’ swath of weed killer. You can see how the weeds were starting to take over.
ImageCart 2_zps939vtgys

It’s been pretty handy on multiple occasions, hauling stuff around and what-not.
Todd.

Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions