7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Newt182 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

Don,

Can you share some information on the design you used to build the upper cabinet in your V-Nose in the picture below? Right now that area on my trailer is empty and I want to do something exactly like you have but i'm concerned about how to support it with nothing below. Did you use horizontal braces along the V walls to support the bottom of the cabinet? what did you use to span the length from wall to wall and how has it held up? No sagging or bowing?

This is the area in my trailer I am wanting to finish. I left the ceiling unfinished in that area for now.

Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Newt182 wrote:Don,

Can you share some information on the design you used to build the upper cabinet in your V-Nose in the picture below? Right now that area on my trailer is empty and I want to do something exactly like you have but i'm concerned about how to support it with nothing below. Did you use horizontal braces along the V walls to support the bottom of the cabinet? what did you use to span the length from wall to wall and how has it held up? No sagging or bowing?
Check out page 30 and 32
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Newt182 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks, the picture on page 30 is what i was looking for, not sure how I missed it. My question for Don is are those 2x4s ripped in half and how well has it held up?
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Newt182: The two pieces spanning the front were 2*2s so I could get a strong bite from screws coming from two sides. You could rip some from 2*4s for sure.

This is the second time I have done it this way and they hold up great and are very strong.

The top stringer for the face is screwed to the ceiling furring strips and glued to ceiling itself. The cabinet face is 1/2 in Birch plywood and ties to the bottom stringer which also makes the 7 ft. span. The top stringer essentially carries the weight out front with the face transferring any weight . The plywood shelf ties it all together well. I used screws and glue throughout.

My side cabinets over the dinette are done similarly where the top stringer carries most of the load.

I hope this helps. I can find more pics if needed. This was the front cabinet on my first CTC. I did it the same way. I just did not install under cabinet lights. I did install the stereo and speakers in the face of it however.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Newt182 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 pm

flboy wrote:Newt182: The two pieces spanning the front were 2*2s so I could get a strong bite from screws coming from two sides. You could rip some from 2*4s for sure.

This is the second time I have done it this way and they hold up great and are very strong.

The top stringer for the face is screwed to the ceiling furring strips and glued to ceiling itself. The cabinet face is 1/2 in Birch plywood and ties to the bottom stringer which also makes the 7 ft. span. The top stringer essentially carries the weight out front with the face transferring any weight . The plywood shelf ties it all together well. I used screws and glue throughout.

My side cabinets over the dinette are done similarly where the top stringer carries most of the load.

I hope this helps. I can find more pics if needed. This was the front cabinet on my first CTC. I did it the same way. I just did not install under cabinet lights. I did install the stereo and speakers in the face of it however.

Thanks, this helps a lot!
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 am

Hey Don,
I know you gave me your AC model number before.
What I didn't know was PM's have been disabled. So I lost it.
I had thought I wouldn't need AC, but we have already broke record highs this year. We went from white(snow) to green &hot.
Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 am

Padilen wrote:Hey Don,
I know you gave me your AC model number before.
What I didn't know was PM's have been disabled. So I lost it.
I had thought I wouldn't need AC, but we have already broke record highs this year. We went from white(snow) to green &hot.
Thanks.

Do you recall which AC we were discussing? The 8,000 BTU window unit I have installed now?

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed May 30, 2018 10:42 am

No just one that generator could over come the AC brown out feature.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 am

Padilen wrote:No just one that generator could over come the AC brown out feature.

That would be the GE 8000 BTU unit that runs on ECO mode from the Honda 2000. I am out of town right now. Will get the info when I return next week.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Ok thank you.
I'm loaded up, but just off to work with TAZ and my DRZ. Going to see if Jim(boss) will go for a ride.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby A_New_Identity » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:01 pm

flboy,

First off, let me thank you for your attention to detail and above all else, taking the time to document your journey.

I have the exact trailer as you and a couple things i can't get worked out are:

1. I saw someone asked about you venting your black & grey tanks but you couldn't get your grey tank vented. If you had, what is the proper procedure for that? Does it have to be connected in a 'Y' shape to prevent obstructed gases (assuming that is what would happen if i ran the grey 90 degrees to the black vent).

2. What gauge wire did you run for your 12v main fan and water pump?

3. Do you have your photo for your wiring diagram in a bigger size possibly? I've tried every way imaginable to view your photo in "full size" but the words are blurry.

4. Which toilet did you end up installing? I've saw you post on a few threads about the flange issue, not quite understanding all of what you were saying as a fix but hopefully through multiple times reading those posts and some trial and error i'll get there.

I've purchased nearly everything i'll need for the build minus drainage plumbing, grey/black tank and toilet. I need to have this trailer done in 1.5 months but I took off work to finish this so here...goes....nothing :frightened:

Thank you for all of your assistance, both past and future :)
A_New_Identity
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 am

Congratulations on you trailer. Are you going to start a build blog here on TNTTT? I will answer in blue below:

1. I saw someone asked about you venting your black & grey tanks but you couldn't get your grey tank vented. If you had, what is the proper procedure for that? Does it have to be connected in a 'Y' shape to prevent obstructed gases (assuming that is what would happen if i ran the grey 90 degrees to the black vent)

I did vent my grey water tank. I ended up just connecting it to my black water vent pipe with a "T". It works well. I have not noticed "obstructed gases". The BW vent pipe is relatively straight up except a 45 degree bend before going into the ceiling to avoid a beam. Gray water "T"s into it at the base . I believe there are some pics back in my blog on this. Let me know if you cannot find them. I will post some pics.

2. What gauge wire did you run for your 12v main fan and water pump? 12ga

3. Do you have your photo for your wiring diagram in a bigger size possibly? I've tried every way imaginable to view your photo in "full size" but the words are blurry.
If you want to PM me, I can e-mail you the file. It is hard to get a good pic on that posted here. I have e-mailed several folks the diagrams and it works best that way.

4. Which toilet did you end up installing? I've saw you post on a few threads about the flange issue, not quite understanding all of what you were saying as a fix but hopefully through multiple times reading those posts and some trial and error i'll get there.

I installed the Dometic 310 Series standard height toilet. It works great! Highy recommended. Here is the current Amazon link. I don't think I paid that much at the time.. maybe about $30-$40 less? I did not have a flange issue. I ordered a 3" grommet for my tank, and got the correct flange to fit it. It worked well and seals perfectly. I do believe the first flange I bought did not fit, but I took the grommet down to Home depot and found one to fit. They sell different sizes for repair purposes. The Dometic will mount directly to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008K ... UTF8&psc=1

I've purchased nearly everything i'll need for the build minus drainage plumbing, grey/black tank and toilet. I need to have this trailer done in 1.5 months but I took off work to finish this so here...goes....nothing :frightened:

Best of luck. If I can offer any assistance, let me know. It is a lot of work, but very worthwhile! Can't wait to see pics.

If you can find tanks 15" wide to fit between the 16" in on center floor joists, that is ideal. I got mine from a donor camper and got lucky on size. You can get 15" wide by 6' long and relatively shallow tanks that are ideal to fit in the space. You may have to special order? In any case, if you can find that size, that would be great. I think my BW and GW tanks are somewhere between 25 and 30 gallons each given that size.

Thank you for all of your assistance, both past and future :)

You are welcome!
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby A_New_Identity » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 pm

That response was exactly what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I know for a fact I'll be unable to post a build as great as you but I will make sure to take pictures of critical details to possibly assist future builders as you and others have done for me.
A_New_Identity
Teardrop Inspector

A New Project ?????

Postby flboy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I have some things coming this week to do a few more little projects on the CTC before my camping trip in two weeks ( usually do something to improve before I go), and I backed two of the bikes out to clean up the workbench before I start.... big mistake.. that hardest part was deciding which one to ride.

Will show you the finished project next weekend (pull curtain for loft bed and ramp trim). Should only take a few hours when I get the stuff from Amazon this week. I still need to clean up the work bench. LOL

Going to do a 3 night summer trip to ONF the weekend after next. Expect I will run the AC with the Honda at least for the late afternoon and early evening hours if I am inside the camper.

Flying solo.. but really feeling the urge to ride the forest. :( Smoky Mt. 500 dual sport adventure ride coming up in August with my brother.. Looking forward to that one also. My wife and sister in law are driving my truck on the highways and will meet us at the cabins in the evening! What a deal that is!

I drove this bus up to Ashville NC area from our home in Fl. two weeks ago with our youth group on board for a week of "Teen Camp". I am thinking a bus similar to that would make a nice project? Get one with a handicap lift and it would make a great toy hauler. Our church picked that bus up a few years ago at Auction for ~$12,000. Of course they painted it and had to do some maintenance, but all in all... very solid! . It has a CAT engine and an Allison transmission and only has 72,000 miles. Just broke in! I better stop thinking about this before I get in trouble with the Mrs.. I told her I would build it out nice. Can't do it in the backyard like I did the CTC however. Big stumbling block... probably should forget about it for now! :D

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Are the equipped with air brakes?