7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Looks good Don. All loaded up and still have lots of room to maneuver and use all the facilities. Well done. Can't wait to see the dinette in black corduroy. Finally found a use for the old prom suit, eh? :lol: Just kidding, you can probably still fit in yours. Mine seems to have shrunk a little, but the Bell Bottoms are still way cool. ;)
Have a great time out there, no soil samples needed this week just have fun.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 am

flboy wrote:Got the axle flip done. Made about a 3 to 4 inch difference as expected. Now I can fill the fender gap up with some larger diameter tires and next higher load range to give me plenty of margin.

Hello Don,

Can you tell us a bit more about the axle flip? Was yours welded to the frame? Mine is.
How much do you think it would cost for a single axle flip?
We love how you painted the dining table (I can no longer see the early photos of the paint job). :thumbsup:
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Hader wrote:
flboy wrote:Got the axle flip done. Made about a 3 to 4 inch difference as expected. Now I can fill the fender gap up with some larger diameter tires and next higher load range to give me plenty of margin.

Hello Don,

Can you tell us a bit more about the axle flip? Was yours welded to the frame? Mine is.
How much do you think it would cost for a single axle flip?
We love how you painted the dining table (I can no longer see the early photos of the paint job). :thumbsup:

Hi Hader. Sorry it took so long to respond. I was actually out using the CTC the last four days.

I paid $199 to flip both axles and it would be about half that. Tommy had his single axle flipped and it was about half. The axles are not welded to anything... the "perches" where the axle engages the leaf springs is welded on and they welded new perches on the opposite side and leave the originals in place. The axles do not really "flip in the this case... they are just mounting them under the leaf spring instead of on top. I hope this helps.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:27 pm

McDave wrote:Looks good Don. All loaded up and still have lots of room to maneuver and use all the facilities. Well done. Can't wait to see the dinette in black corduroy. Finally found a use for the old prom suit, eh? Just kidding, you can probably still fit in yours. Mine seems to have shrunk a little, but the Bell Bottoms are still way cool. ;)
Have a great time out there, no soil samples needed this week just have fun.

McDave

Thanks McDave. I am back and had a great time. There was a Tommy sighting on his KTM... he's making his way back!

So, I did have a chance to travel a few hours on the interstate with the Vortex Generators which is the first time since I installed. They do absolutely nothing for the gas mileage (from what I could detect).... but very noticeable improvement on stability. Almost no pull at all with large trucks coming from behind. I did not even notice most of them until they were passing me and I saw them as they went by. Also had some good crosswinds on the return trip. The ride was steady with no induced sway. I'd say they are worth the price for stability and a bust for any fuel savings. Overall, worth it and I would install just for the stability with the fringe benefit of aesthetics. In fact, I had two people ask me what they were. They thought they were for "looks". :lol: :lol:

With the Vortex Generators, Sway Bars, Load balancing Hitch and the AirLift airbags I also recently installed.... rock steady with no bounce. Very pleased with the results. Makes towing alot less stressful.

Here is a pic of our site at Lake Delancey East.. Just a very nice Oak Hammock near the lake with great access to the forest roads for riding. Absolutely perfect weather for 3 of the 4 days. It rained on and off most of Saturday, but it was actually relaxing under the awning just hanging out, grilling, and enjoying being off the grid!

BTW... hope you saved those bell bottoms... they are coming back!

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 am

Oh Man,
That looks really good. Looks like you had the place to yourselves. What a great place to be in December. I could really use some of that right now. We just got another 5" of really wet heavy snow. It hasn't been real cold so far, 30's and 12-15 lows but winter is here and I seem to be in the middle of a mechanical vortex of failures and leaks and breakdowns. I've been here before and its not fun, but you just gotta go through it. Focus on the basics like keeping the house warm and the wife's car running. If she is happy, the rest of the stuff is just a pile of annoying inconveniences. Some will have to wait till spring, some are more urgent. When it is cold and snowy everything seems to take 3-4 times longer than it should, including lunch and warm up breaks. It's not really light till 0800 and pretty dark at 1600 so doesn't help either. Things could always be worse, so ya just gotta chip away at it till the sun returns to the land. But Hey, glad you guys are having some good weather. Keep the pictures coming, they help a lot. Well, back to work. Snow thrower puked and I'm down to 1 good shovel, plow truck is DOA and the Harley is up on the rack with no cams or rockers. Finally got the insurance for the roof, skylights and siding that got totalled in a hail storm in August, so that will be waiting for me as well as a new boiler and heating system come spring. Fun stuff.... :roll:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:17 am

Don, thanks for the report on the vortex generators. We will order them soon. We are trying to decide if we want to head north in the trailer or the boat next spring. Such hard decisions we have to make in life.
richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm

ris wrote:Don, thanks for the report on the vortex generators. We will order them soon. We are trying to decide if we want to head north in the trailer or the boat next spring. Such hard decisions we have to make in life.
richard

You are welcome! Sounds like you have some tough decisions to make! Enjoy yourself. I am going to go camping again for a few days between Christmas and New Years. I always enjoy camping in the CTC and riding the forest on my dirtbike!
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Finally going to convert to an upright propane tank I can exchange at any convenience store for $19.99. I ordered the bracket below which appears to be very sturdy and well built. It will bolt down to the trailer tongue well I think. Changing the tank out will take less than a minute with this setup.

The horizontal tank I have is nice, but I have to take the tank to get filled and the date on it is expired and most will not fill it. I also have 2 upright tanks so I can keep one as a spare to swap out.

I will post some pics of the install in a few weeks when I get the bracket.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Get a tank that way fine, but buy your gas by the pound / liter etc

Lots cheaper, the exchange place underfill, not good value.

Plus top up for a few buck, no reason to wait until you run out
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 pm

John61CT wrote:Get a tank that way fine, but buy your gas by the pound / liter etc

Lots cheaper, the exchange place underfill, not good value.

Plus top up for a few buck, no reason to wait until you run out

I agree... but you can get the exchange tanks just about anywhere so it is convenient and that is what you are paying for.

Also, several places I have went to in the past charge you a flat fee to fill since the put the tank on a scale to fill. Unless the tank is empty, you overpay as well. Just been my experience.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:42 pm

I just go to my local hardware. They, inspect & certify for a couple of bucks. 20lbs cylinder is like 8$ to fill. But the charge for replacing the old style valves is around 35$. So when I've empty an old tank it's cheaper to hit the gas station and pay 19.99 for an exchange. They don't check the valves.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 pm

flboy wrote:
John61CT wrote: several places I have went to in the past charge you a flat fee to fill since the put the tank on a scale to fill. Unless the tank is empty, you overpay as well.
Yes also a ripoff IMO.

But then, I do watch my budget especially on monthly consumables.

Tractor Supply was $1.69/gal, cost me $8 to top up last trip, no inconvenience.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Padilen wrote:I just go to my local hardware. They, inspect & certify for a couple of bucks. 20lbs cylinder is like 8$ to fill. But the charge for replacing the old style valves is around 35$. So when I've empty an old tank it's cheaper to hit the gas station and pay 19.99 for an exchange. They don't check the valves.

Exactly, that's what the exchange places are good for, often can pick up old expired tanks for $5 or less, just swap for new.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm

John61CT wrote:
Padilen wrote:I just go to my local hardware. They, inspect & certify for a couple of bucks. 20lbs cylinder is like 8$ to fill. But the charge for replacing the old style valves is around 35$. So when I've empty an old tank it's cheaper to hit the gas station and pay 19.99 for an exchange. They don't check the valves.

Exactly, that's what the exchange places are good for, often can pick up old expired tanks for $5 or less, just swap for new.

I will have to keep an eye out for a place that does the fill like at the gas pump. Both local Ace Hardware stores I use stopped doing that and just have one price to fill (I think it is $15.00). I have Tractor Supply nearby, I will check them out.

I got my two vertical tanks that were expired at a garage sale for $4.00 and swapped them out for $17.00 each at True Value Hardware.. Worked out well. I'd love to be able to get them filled for less than $10.00.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm

The campground that my mom had the private site filled tanks. So see if a campground around you does it.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions