7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 am

Hey Don,
There has got to be a hundred bad jokes and nicknames to go with that Avion system. Hard to believe it is not still in production and use, like right around the L.A. area code....
But seriously, I suppose y'all are on septic systems because of your proximity to the ocean and flooding and ground water?That's a metro area you are in, correct? Probably no basement either?
I can see the utility in a poo pusher like that in fact similar systems are used as lift stations for folks who's basement bathroom floor is lower than the sewer pipes.
What a lovely Sunday morning conversation. I think I'll go shovel snow and think clean thoughts for a while.

McDave
User avatar
McDave
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1852
Images: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 am
Location: Tiny Town, Montana

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby NotJammer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 am

It had a switch and a caution to only use for highway speeds. Which of course has higher exhaust temps. TV exhaust temps can get red hot and most auto makers try to keep the temp under 1700 F.

But it came out the TV pipe, meaning the trailer was undercoated with it.

Here's dyno test pic of a Ford 5.0L old style pushrod engine, running flat out, uphill in the desert with a big trailer. (simulated load conditions) About 1750 F and the dull red 6" pipe to the roof can be seen in the back.

I did this for a living for almost 30 years. We could destroy any engine, my job was to make sure it lasted a test.

ImageHOT ROD by moe.randy, on Flickr
User avatar
NotJammer
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 89
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:03 pm

McDave wrote:Hey Don,
There has got to be a hundred bad jokes and nicknames to go with that Avion system. Hard to believe it is not still in production and use, like right around the L.A. area code....
But seriously, I suppose y'all are on septic systems because of your proximity to the ocean and flooding and ground water?That's a metro area you are in, correct? Probably no basement either?
I can see the utility in a poo pusher like that in fact similar systems are used as lift stations for folks who's basement bathroom floor is lower than the sewer pipes.
What a lovely Sunday morning conversation. I think I'll go shovel snow and think clean thoughts for a while.

McDave



I am on Septic. 26ft above sea level. There is city sewer in most places (metro area) but when I built where I am, it was not available and I have no desire to hook up now and pay for it.

My issue is where my Septic tank access pipe is vs. where I can maneuver my CTC in the back yard to overcome gravity and etc... It would be easier to just park it on the slab I just put in and run a ~75ft 3/4" garden hose over and let it go. Will save some gray to flush the hose and pump and then just close loop the hose on itself... no fuss no mess.

A basement here would be an indoor swimming pool. Ground water table in our wet season is probably only about 4 ft to 6 ft down. Houses are built on a monolithic slab with footers.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Got the portable HF vertical antenna mounted today. I can put this up in about 10 minutes and it breaks down with 3 hose clamps into 4.5 ft sections for storage. I use the trailer as the ground plane and it seems to work well given the all aluminum skin. Same idea as a car mount. The car is the other half the antenna. I talked to an operator in Des Moines, Iowa (~1,400 miles) and another in Cincinnatti, Ohio on 14.220 Mhz this afternoon so it is working. It seems to tune up well. This should work well in remote locations where I cannot use the tree canopy for a wire antenna. I want to try it later this evening on 3.825 Mhz.. that will be pushing the physics of the antenna's efficiency.

The portable HF station:

The Icom IC-706MKIIG all band transceiver.

Image

Hygain AV-18VS antenna with Wolf River loading Coil installed. I used a standard dish antenna mount bolted into the trailer with stainless self threading bolts.

Image

Comes off for travel... of course!

Image

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 pm

lambda =78.3cm ... 8) ...

McDave
User avatar
McDave
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1852
Images: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 am
Location: Tiny Town, Montana
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 pm

McDave wrote:lambda =78.3cm ... 8) ...

McDave


I have been called worse. :thumbsup:

I hope all is well McDave. Any warm ups on the way to Montana?
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 am

Hey Don,
We're doin' alright for the most part. Winter is still in full swing, couple feet of snow Wed, and again Friday. Currently -17f but the wind is calm and light snow. Should warm up to 4f and down to-12 tonight. Possibly 30 on Tuesday, 36 Wed but back to 9f on Thurs. So yeah, looks like we are headed the right direction. February is typically the worst for the deep deep cold, but March we get lots of wet snow. But any day above zero is good day. A little over 5ft on the ground, and on the roofs. Had a couple collapses Thurs/Fri. All Iv'e really been doing is moving snow since Christmas and I think I blew a head gasket on my plow truck. It's an old Toyota 4x4 with the R22E. Oil looks like pudding and about halfway up the stick, antifreeze looks like mud. It is a common problem with those but the timing could have been better. It's just really hard to warm a place up enough to do that kind of job right now. Might have to break out the '57 Nomad and drive that and put the yoda in that shop. I can heat that one but will have to move a bunch of vehicles and that aint easy right now. I won't have a plow but we're in good shape right now. I'll have to call in some favors if it dumps too much before I get truck sorted out. But otherwise we are riding it out pretty well. All is good at your place I hope. Do ya hear from Tommy? Still making good progress I hope. If you see him buy him a beer for me, I'll catch up later. ... ;) ...

McDave
User avatar
McDave
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1852
Images: 343
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 am
Location: Tiny Town, Montana
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby ris » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Don this is Richard in cental florida. Was wondering about trailer hitch and sway control you use. Have a couple of folks visiting in larger rv trailers and they all use something. I simply do not know if or what is needed on these 8.5 X 18 trailers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

richard
ris
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 87
Images: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 pm

ris wrote:Don this is Richard in cental florida. Was wondering about trailer hitch and sway control you use. Have a couple of folks visiting in larger rv trailers and they all use something. I simply do not know if or what is needed on these 8.5 X 18 trailers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

richard


Richard, I think you can get everything you need at your local Harbor Freight. They sell a Haulmaster Brand. I bought the load balancing hitch which also has the connections for the Anti-sway bars and I put on 2 Anti-sway bars which was recommended based on weight. The sway bars are good for 6,000 lb. each and my trailer is right at 6,000 lb full load, so I put 2 on for margin and not to strain just one.

My CTC tows rock steady even with good crosswinds. Additionally, the truck and trailer are level with no sagging on the rear end. You want it level for best towing and control.

If you have bounce with all that, you may also consider some airbags. I have been thinking about airbags and may add them just to take some bounce out when there are dips and etc. in the road. It is not too bad for me, but I like to have it as ideal as possible for towing. It takes the work and the white knuckling out and driving is more relaxing.

I'd recommend both and follow the directions to get the hitch adjusted correct. Lot's of details on the load balancing hitch and anti-sway bars on the web. I have done it with and without and I would not tow without anymore. The size of these trailers is just hitting the weight and wind loading where this becomes necessary equipment in my book.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb- ... 61720.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-s ... 96462.html


This how my setup looks installed.

ImageImage
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby ris » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 am

Don, thanks for the quick reply. We will take your advice and get a new hitch with sway control. Definitely do not want to white knuckle while driving all over the country. We will take some time and check out the different sway control equipment for trailers. We have pulled a popup and boats all over the southeast but not a trailer as large as this. Thanks again.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 87
Images: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm

I think I solved the bed ladder problem and now have a dual use step ladder. It cost me $39.00 at Home Depot. It probably would have cost that much to buy good lumber, paint and hardware to make what I originally had in mind.

Thanks Rainier70 for the idea to cut down a step ladder. In this case I didn't have to cut it down, but your comments got me looking at ladders.I would have eventually injured myself getting out of bed with that other RV bunk ladder.

I found this 4ft high 300lb capacity self standing step ladder with very wide platform steps. It fits me perfect for climbing up and coming down facing forward with no shoes. The top step is ~2.8ft high... but that is all that is needed to bend at the waist and swing the leg up on the bed and roll in. I just slide down and hit the first step facing forward when I get out of bed. Also have that 4ft. high back rail to put my weight on and grab for balance. I will have to have my wife test it out also. I hope it works well for her too. I do have a few inches on her.

I will be able to toss the tiny step stool ladder we used for getting into upper cabinets. This one will work for that purpose also and is tall enough to be useful outdoors if needed.

The top platform is wide enough for me even to sit just like setting on steps. It folds up very thin and can go on the bed or strap to Etrac for travel. I am calling it done!

Image

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Padilen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm

flboy wrote:I think I solved the bed ladder problem and now have a dual use step ladder. It cost me $39.00 at Home Depot. It probably would have cost that much to buy good lumber, paint and hardware to make what I originally had in mind.

Thanks Rainier70 for the idea to cut down a step ladder. In this case I didn't have to cut it down, but your comments got me looking at ladders.I would have eventually injured myself getting out of bed with that other RV bunk ladder.

I found this 4ft high 300lb capacity self standing step ladder with very wide platform steps. It fits me perfect for climbing up and coming down facing forward with no shoes. The top step is ~2.8ft high... but that is all that is needed to bend at the waist and swing the leg up on the bed and roll in. I just slide down and hit the first step facing forward when I get out of bed. Also have that 4ft. high back rail to put my weight on and grab for balance. I will have to have my wife test it out also. I hope it works well for her too. I do have a few inches on her.

I will be able to toss the tiny step stool ladder we used for getting into upper cabinets. This one will work for that purpose also and is tall enough to be useful outdoors if needed.

The top platform is wide enough for me even to sit just like setting on steps. It folds up very thin and can go on the bed or strap to Etrac for travel. I am calling it done!

Image

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That was similar to what I had planned on using. But I've found using my sofa and sink as steps I don't need it. I haven't done anything to my CTC this winter like I'd thought I would. Been cold this winter and wood is to valuable. So I haven't wasted it heating up pole barn.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:20 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm

LOL.. I stepped on the back of the seat a few times myself... I just know one of these days I am going to stumble down and fall. I almost have a few times and I have to get up once or twice a night.. sometimes barely awake and groggy.

Hopefully it will start to warm up there soon. It must be hard looking at your CTC all Winter waiting for it to warm up... but then again.. it is warm here and I work too much to enjoy it the way I want to.. I am going in two weeks for an AMA Dual sport event and will take the CTC. I have to go to Mason City Iowa for a week just before I go.... so I am sure I will get all the winter I need. :-) Flying into Minneapolis and driving down.. Hope it doesn't snow. I hate driving in that stuff!

I am sure you will find opportunity this summer to throw that DRZ in the back of Taz and have some fun! :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby Padilen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 am

flboy wrote:LOL.. I stepped on the back of the seat a few times myself... I just know one of these days I am going to stumble down and fall. I almost have a few times and I have to get up once or twice a night.. sometimes barely awake and groggy.

Hopefully it will start to warm up there soon. It must be hard looking at your CTC all Winter waiting for it to warm up... but then again.. it is warm here and I work too much to enjoy it the way I want to.. I am going in two weeks for an AMA Dual sport event and will take the CTC. I have to go to Mason City Iowa for a week just before I go.... so I am sure I will get all the winter I need. :-) Flying into Minneapolis and driving down.. Hope it doesn't snow. I hate driving in that stuff!

I am sure you will find opportunity this summer to throw that DRZ in the back of Taz and have some fun!
I haven't tried getting it in yet! May not fit in TW's spot. And may be to tall for me to get it up ramp. TW maybe the bike I take with camping. Which was my thought when I bought DRZ. I'm pretty sure if I add another tie down or such they both would fit in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:20 pm
Top

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Getting the CTC loaded up this weekend. I fly out on business Monday, get back Thursday night, then pull out next Friday AM for and AMA Dual Sport event in Dade City (Withlacoochee State Forest). Looking forward to it. Full power and water hookups in the staging area, so going to run it all hard. Going to do electric only on the new HW heater so we will see how that goes. It worked great on propane first time out over the Holidays.

Bike all in. Just have to throw in my clothes and food next Friday A.M. and hookup.

Image

PM's done and the Roll Charts and GPS installed. :-)

Image

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
User avatar
flboy
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2430
Images: 376
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:13 pm
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bowtie76 and 4 guests