New Here.New Project!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New Here.New Project!

Postby EZDog » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I just returned from S Georgia with this!

ImageImageImage

It was custom ordered by someone else and then refused at pickup for silly reasons and has been sitting on a lot for a while until it came across me! :D

This is a 7' x10' extended tongue CT? with several add-ons and for now a blank canvas for my Evil Design. :twisted:

This one has:
2-15x30 windows w/screens
Huge custom Diamond plate Generator Box on Extended Tongue
One Piece Roof and Thermo Ply Ceiling inside
Narrow Track Axle mounted inboard mostly
Semi Screwless Exterior?
Glued and screwed panels all around outside
Custom(odd) 48" rear door w/too many hinges!
Jacks on rear

It is unusual and I got it for a song……and some cash too but not much really.

I drive all over the country for my work and plan to have this be a Hotel,Workshop and Ham Shack in a sort of Swiss Army Knife style?

I already have and use a 17' Casita Freedom which I love but it is really only suitable as the Hotel although it has certainly been the rest of my plans too,I just couldn't walk past this one so here I am.

I also camp and go to a lot of FGRV rallies and have had 7 Eggs to date which I mostly buy,fixup and flip.
I actually have a 16' Fiberstream sitting also waiting for me but,well,……….yo know? :roll:

So I am happy I found this place and am eager to begin and Contribute!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Re: New Here.New Project!

Postby CoventryKid » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Welcome!

I have to ask...what's the reason for the 5 hinges on the rear door? Just curious.

Have fun with your build and don't be afraid to ask.
Last edited by CoventryKid on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby tucked » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Welcome.. and i really like what you have to start with!
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EZDog » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Well……..?
Like I said it was a custom but not for me so I am not really sure what thats about.
I was told it was supposed to be a mobile knife sharpening shop so maybe an Anvil or machine of some kind or even a 10 ton weight?

Before I went to get it I asked if I could get just 1 more hinge on that door and the seller didn't think I was as funny as I know I am somehow?

I am considering mounting a meager galley to the door so that it is inside with the door closed and outside when opened but that is just me thinking out loud at this time too.
My Kitchen needs are really modest. I just need to microwave or just boil water even and refrigerate mostly and I don't see the trailer having any water systems at all for a lot of reasons.

Anyway it is a strange find but also brand new and was cheap too!

It also seems a lot more heavy duty than comparable trailers of this general size range as it was supposed to be a commercial use rig.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:53 pm

I always love it when people say they bought something real cheap. To me that sounds like $500. If they paid $1,500 then I'd say they got a nice discount or a good deal.

Never meet a cargo trailer co to sell anything really cheap. There's always E bay.

I take it all back, after a quick shop around $2,000 is a good deal.
but for $3,000 a cheap 7 x 16 could be in the cards/
Last edited by OverTheTopCargoTrailer on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZDog » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am

And it's hard not to feel the Love,Thanks!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:58 am

EZDog,

I think this will make an interesting project! With the eggs, you'll know exactly how to plan out the space. I really like the inset wheels. Look forward to your build.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby EZDog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Well I got the Plywood off the inside walls,mostly so I can Wire and Insulate but I left the top panels in place with the Windows in them.
It looks like I can easily slide the panels in behind the Plywood without having to remove the windows at all and only miss insulating the small area above both windows by this process.

What I wonder is why they don't paint the entire upright Studs when building the trailer?
They are all only painted at the very top and bottom which seems like it would take more time to do than just hosing down the entire frame at the same time?
There is of course surface rust now on the unpainted area too.
What paint makes sense to hit this area with? Just any Enamel?
I have been thinking about using an undercoat of some kind thinking it might provide a little insulation and isolation between the inner wall panels and the studs,does this make any sense?

Also there are many areas along the floor/wall seam where I can see outside and the floor is so poorly cut that the whole front edge is open somewhat?
Again it is like they had to work to build this badly?

So I am going to get a few cans of foam and seal it up where I can.

Another strange "Feature" is the stud spacing in the walls! It is spec'd at 16" on center but many more studs are there than this and it will be tough to even get some of the spaces insulated at all?
At least it looks like there is more structure and not less than I was thinking I wold see.

I knew going in this was the real issue with the cheap Ga. Trailers but seeing it now for myself it is still surprising anyway! :?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby m.colley » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:26 pm

I used flat black Rustoleum paint where I felt it was needed on the wall uprights. I hit the with a wire brush if I saw any signs of rusting. I used some free cans of foam to fill in gaps at the floor level between the floor decking and walls. Luckily I didn't have many. I too had a few extra studs but many still followed the 16" on center build. I pulled all of my plywood even the piece around the window. The inner window trim ring was only held in place by screws and a bead of silicon caulk. I was bound and determined to insulated everything I could.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:30 am

I am currently in the insulating phase and have to say craftsmanship and accuracy was not a priority with the Pace Trailer... 16" on center was like a suggestion, I even found one stud (Z-type) installed upside down! So 14 1/2" on that one, 17 1/2" on the next..etc. etc.... Gaps in floor, UGLY wiring etc. etc.... I'm really glad I took everything apart so I can fix it all. My guess is even if you bought a manufactured camper, the quality would be about the same. You just wouldn't know it till something failed.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:03 pm

My guess is even if you bought a manufactured camper, the quality would be about the same. You just wouldn't know it till something failed.

Exactly the reason why I converted our cargo trailer. That and heavy weight, and poor interior design, and poor fit and finish and more.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Well as I said already I have had several Fiberglass Egg' and none of them were assembled with this expert lack of care and attention to detail somehow?
I got into fiberglass early on because after a lot of research they seemed an obvious choice to stay small,simple and long lasting compared to any stick built rig whether wood or metal stick in general.

Every wooden sticky I have seen is a crapfest to say the least and they seem to steadily fall apart from the moment they are put on the road if not sooner.

Converting a CT should be a natural if you could expect to see even the most basic concern for finish build quality but clearly I have started down a twisty path with a cheap trailer if I want even that quality it seems.

But I am planning to make the best of this one and learn as I work through making it work doing what I need to to bring it along as I go.

Love the One your With!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Well here goes!

I took the plywood off and sprayed the studs with Flex Seal rubber paint as they were only painted on the very tops and bottoms?
Then I started with the R5 Dow Styrofoam and got almost all of the walls in Today but then had to do something else.
I am planning to take this from STL to Maine in a few weeks for a Job and Camping at the same time so I need to get it in gear to say the least! :thinking:

Maybe I am crazy but it already feels warmer and sounds a lot quieter in there to me? :worship:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 am

Looks quite roomy. That's a good idea on the flexseal rubber paint. I'll file that for future use. I bet it is much quieter and better insulated now!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby EZDog » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Making progress now.
Insulated,rehung plywood and hung carpet on walls Today.
I am thinking of using Cedar as trim and molding everywhere as of now.
I need to put up a bunch of E track first though and get it layer out more before any real finish work.
The carpet is just screwed in at a few spots along the roof and floor so I could cut it in and the track and moldings will finish holding it all,no adhesive at all.

The trailer is a lot warmer,much quieter and way darker inside!
It is starting to feel livable too!!! 8)

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions