HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby Padilen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

Tommy's back!
So glad to read this. My riding season is over, winter has arrived.
I've been injured a few times, blessed that I also do not have any "vision's". I had one that I do not remember even most of the day it happened, before the event. Nor the next few weeks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 pm

thanks padilen. well some things are best forgotten as they may be too painful to reminisce over. sounds like you had a bad one too.

Big dave I do have a few pics of the accident scene. maybe I will post them. kinda cringe worthy. they may get yanked quick. I can hardly look at them myself. Don snapped them while we waited for the EMTS.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Yes, I snapped them when the EMTs arrived and took over the scene. I figured once Tommy healed up he may want to see them. I wasn't sure what he'd remember because he was going in and out of shock due to the trauma.

Tommy suprised me.. he wanted to see them right after he got home and I told him I had a few pics. Not for weak stomachs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby BigDave_185 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 am

So what all happened being a fellow two wheeler quads and sxs are scary in blind corners. The height we are at and the speed we can move vs a 4 wheeler is amazing.

I assume it was a head on with a blind corner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am

Big Dave,

The pics will really help and I will post them today but here is my side of the story..

Both myself and the other rider came around two blind curves at the same time. The curves were separated by app. 60 yards. I saw him the moment he railed his curve as my head and eyes were looking forward in anticipation of just such an event. You HAVE TO RIDE LIKE THAT there. Cautious and EXPECTING of such an event because you always come across riders going the other way. ALWAYS.

Anyway, I stopped within app. 20 yards of rounding my curve and at first thought wow this guy is really good. look how he railed that curve and he never stuck his leg out. Very smooth. His head was down as he came out of his curve. No doubt checking his line immediately in front of his tire. I still remember thinking this would be no problem at all. BUT, he never really looked up all the way. Instead he pinned it WFO and then started to look up but it was too late. He never braked. It all went into slow motion then as I realized he was going to hit me. There was app. 4 seconds that I had to sh** my pants and brace for impact. I remember hearing the collision and seeing orange, blue sky, trees, more blue sky and then darkness briefly.

And then pain like I NEVER felt before. That's it. Pics to follow.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

I just want to add that I do not fault the other guy at all. He was in the groove and rippin it up. I have done that too. You just let all caution go as your adrenalin flows and you are in that magical moment of the groove. That's why we ride man! That moment when its all clicking smooth and there's no where else you'd want to be.

But its inevitable up there. No matter how cautious and safe you may be. Something to remember for sure.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 am

How did he fair?

BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 am

The other guy,
six broke ribs, punctured/collapsed lung and 5 cracked back vertebrae.

I was told he never came off his bike until after the crash. He could not breath too well and laid down on the trail for a bit but did get back up. Tough bastard. I heard he was 62 and his buddy was 72. :shock: Old pro MX riders from back in the days of Roger Decoster I heard. Pretty darn fit for 62. Well, not any more!

Said he was done riding up there now. But who knows.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Well maybe you guys will happen across each other and become buddies. Moto accidents are scary, remote locations, usually alone, tough deal for sure!! Cheer up. It’s Christmas time

BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:26 pm

there you go. started out great. a little duel sport ride on some forest roads. just relaxing and enjoying the day.

Then it all changed just like that. Thank god for the knee braces. They did cut them off so I need to have them fixed. AVS may rebuild/repair them maybe. I hope.

You can imagine how little time you have to react when you do see someone coming the other way.
Attachments
goodtimes.jpg
goodtimes.jpg (642.43 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Tommy B
500 Club

HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby BigDave_185 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 pm

How did the emts get to the location. Out here in the dunes they have billy bad a$$ sand rails with a rack on the back for the back board.

I have the POD knee braces and I love them. Keep you from locking knees while riding, and def good protection in a spot like that

Any neck brace for you?

BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm

That looks pretty rough right there. That guy needs an IV of Ringers Lactate and D5W and start a Morphine drip. Stat.
If I had dollar for every time I've heard that.... Life just kinda beats the hell out of a man. Ya know? But it is amazing how the medics can put us back together. Glad you are on the mend Tommy. You'll be back in saddle before you know it. I can tell you still love it.
Hang in there Buddy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 am

BigDave_185 wrote:How did the emts get to the location. Out here in the dunes they have billy bad a$$ sand rails with a rack on the back for the back board.

I have the POD knee braces and I love them. Keep you from locking knees while riding, and def good protection in a spot like that

Any neck brace for you?

Don called 911 on his cell and they got the GPS somehow but the coordinates did not correlate to the trail map so it took awhile to find us. Seemed like for ever for me.

lastly, this x-ray. how long will this take to freakin heal. dam it still hurts kinda. one day at a time.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:11 pm

The EMT's arrived on ATV's (4 wheelers). It took them about 1.5 hours to find us. They had a backboard on wheels to tow behind the ATV. It looked like the type the Ski Patrol use on the slopes except with two wheels in the back. The front has a hitch on on it that attached to the 4 wheeler. You'd never get a vehicle in where we were at... just too much brush and etc..
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Tommy B. Howdy;

Looks like you're trying to attach of of those Jai Alai baskets permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxBUOEy_4H8

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions