HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Tommy, 16ga wire is probably too small for the job. Try a 12ga wire and you will see an improvement.

What is happening makes sense from an electrical perspective. I can explain.. but a bit much for the blog. Bottom line is that there is some resistance in the electrical path dropping some power. Increasing the gage and soldering connections will reduce the resistance and path loss.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

As long as the fridge is working the drop will only affect how long you can run off the battery before the fridge sees the low voltage shutdown threshold .

Last edited by flboy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Tommy, The fridge should handle the voltage spike of 13.5 or so. What does the specifications say for input power? That fluctuation would be normal for any DC system with a charger online.. such as an alternator in a car or converter in an RV, or Solar charger.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Hey Don after 24 hours it only pulled the battery down 12.7 to 12.4 .

I am good with that. I feel its working fine. Thanks I plugged in the shore power and the charger only went to 13.6 I feel good with that too. :thumbsup:

I really appreciate your input and help. Seriously.

I also replaced the five or so fittings and have pressurized the lines. No leaks yet. :worship:
Attachments
20170309_192200 (Custom).jpg
20170309_192200 (Custom).jpg (115.19 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
20170309_192234 (Custom).jpg
20170309_192234 (Custom).jpg (97.51 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 am

The meter at the outlet is reading the voltage at the outlet. When there is a load, there will be a drop in voltage on that line based on load, wire size (ga) and length of that run from power source. Imagine a water tank (battery) with a 3/4" spigot at bottom. If you put a pressure gauge on spigot, then opened spigot gauge might read 60psi depending on height of water column (battery or power supply volts). If you opened spigot into bucket for 1 min. and measured gallons you might see 12 gal. That is the max output (amps) Now attach a 3/8" id hose, 50ft long with the gauge at the end. Still 60psi, good.
Now put a sprinkler on the end and place in bucket, on full for1 min. Measure gallons, maybe 6-7gal. Why? The size and length of hose restricts the volume of water, as does the sprinkler. If you had a second spigot with gauge at tank, you would still see 60 psi or close to it depending on how much of the column you used and didn't replace. If you had a gauge attached after the sprinkler, the pressure would read much lower due the loss at sprinkler and the hose restricting the quantity of water to replace loss from sprinkler.
That's probably not the best explanation, but I tend to think of electrics in terms of plumbing to visualize what is otherwise invisible. Having meters with different info, (volts, amps, watts, ohms) is only useful if you are able to correctly interpret those readings. Do the math and verify and justify the readings and know what you should expect to see. Then you decide if there is a malfunction, or just what's normal considering design, age etc.
My Norcold RV frig. calls for 10ga wires, shortest possible run, and the 12v wired directly to battery. It has 12ga cord for AC wired to breaker. It has it's own onboard inveter that supplies120 AC to the compressor when only 12vdc is available.
My guess is that your cooler has a similar set up. So what's the bottom line? Here's what I would do;
1. Heavier gauge wire, shortest possible path to that meter/ outlet.
2. Bypass the power center and wire outlet directly to battery with inline fuse or meter/outlet may have one.
3. Consider a different type connector for the cooler DC cord. Those cig lighter types can be problematic and flakey as the plug and outlet wear and age, and with vibration and other stresses due to the weight of the cord etc. It may be nice to have the outlet located in the optimal location so you don't have to fight the cord or have it plugged in with 4-5 ft of cord hanging from that plug or across pathway etc.
Also, if that on/off switch controls the outlet, be sure that both are rated for the size load you have. All of the wiring and connections and switches and outlets between the battery and the cooler degrade the power, some what. And all are possible failure points. The less of those, the better.
So, that should make everything clear as mud. Just doin' my part...

McDave

Edit: Having the battery in the circuit acts as a buffer, filter and capacitor for that load. Remember the EZ start cap for the rooftop A/C? That was able to overcome the power problem located at source, not the trailer or A/C. Same principle here, a battery is a capacitor.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 am

Tommy.. you're welcome. You are doing a great job. Don't worry about those voltages too much.. they could be optimised, but you are not going to hurt anything as I can see it. The larger gage wire like McDave and I suggested is the only thing I'd consider a priority.

McDave, I see electrical circuits in my head the same way... and find it easiest to explain to others with plumbing analogies. I have a solid electrical theory background, but that is hard to explain to others without the background ... I just know it.. Appreciate you writing it up. Next time Tommy and I are camping.. I am going to spend about an hour on Ohms law with him. He sees what is going on.. but maybe in some cases does not understand why. He's got the mind and curiosity for it no doubt.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 am

Mcdave, thank you!
I very much understand it now. Yes I do. :thumbsup:

So with that info,
The meter and dc socket set are wired to the Old DC buss panel which is wired directly to the battery. I bypassed the progressive power center as I thought a direct route would be better. I would think This would be fine. The size wire I used and the route I choose.

So in 24 hours of running with the maxx air fan on for 12 of those hours it drew the battery down to 12.5 from 12.7. Please, would you consider this good for a cooler/freezer. Consumption wise?

ONE SMALL NOTE, I think I remember that after I tightened the wire harness up, The meter quite working and I did think I tightened up the wire holder farthest to the right there too much as there was NO movement in the bundle. I loosened it and the meter worked fine. May be nothing as it seemed to read fine after that, BUT maybe I flattened the wire some. :thinking: I will check this. But I may have just had the battery switch turned off. Cant remember.

If .2 amps drain is good for 24 hours I am fine. The unit is rated at 5.5 amps when cooling a warm cooler so 1.3 amps when cool may be normal.
I will take a peek at the wire bundle but am ready to let this go.

BIG thank you Mcdave and Don!

Moving on to collapsible bed legs now. Hoping to go to Ocala next weekend as the weather looks awesome. Don??? :D
Attachments
20170307_113755%20(Custom).jpg
20170307_113755%20(Custom).jpg (149.74 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
20170223_161415%20(Custom).jpg
20170223_161415%20(Custom).jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
20170208_182650%20(Custom).jpg
20170208_182650%20(Custom).jpg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:02 am

Tommy, I can't go next weekend. I am leaving for Madrid, Spain on business that Saturday and will be gone for a week. Let's get a trip on the planner for late April or May sometime. I have a grandchild due in early May, so I will need to go visit my son and etc. In Dallas sometime in May.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am

OK Don! Heck yes on Ocala.

Congrats on the Grandchild. Must be something to be called granddaddy. some of this, :D at the joy of it all, and some of this, :cry: at the realization of the aging process.

Have a safe trip to Spain and enjoy your road trip/camp trip to the everglades on you new cruiser with the Neff :thumbsup:

Look forward to tackling those 75-100 foot hill climbs just off Hog Valley road, remember? 8)

Peace Brother. :beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:15 am

OFF TOPIC
I want to buy this for my wife. It has great reviews and comparisons with glock.

Anybody have one?
Would get extended clip for pinky wrap around. Has a laser sight and 1911 style thumb safety. Will go look at it after work. Limited supply, on sale, Bass Pro.

Thank you. Sorry for off topic.

Kimber Micro Carry Crimson Carry Semi-Auto Pistol

9 mm

Actually I may take it with me camping and leave the glock 17 at home with here. :D
Attachments
37348-DEFAULT-M.jpg
37348-DEFAULT-M.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Tommy, what is it on sale for? My wife is now interested in learning to shoot. I wonder if I should be concerned. :-)

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

$600.00 and change I think. BUT the laser alone is nearly 300 after market! Its a real bargain. 1911 style platform and function. With at least one real safety. If you are familiar with the .45 cal 1911 that we used in the marines you will know what I mean. I am drooling and will pick it up after work. Two mags, one is an extended mag for the pinky. 7 rounds in the mag, one in the pipe. Single action. Pull gun, quietly pull back hammer, flip safety, fire. Short 5 pound trigger pull. I will let you borrow it to try out or you can just come to the range with me one day soon. :D
Must use 124 grain or higher to prevent jams. Should be broken in with app. 150-200 rounds they say. :beer:

Great reviews but there are always haters.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Hey Tommy,
I remember I bought the wife a 1971 El Camino SS 454 for Arbor Day once. She didn't have much interest in it, so I had to drive it, till the sheriff "suggested" that I should sell it. That was fun. I love Arbor Day.
So yea baby, Kimber is the cats a**. I haven't had an intimate relationship with that one, yet. But I'm very open minded with matters like this. What is your wife's skill level and interest level in auto's? I mean, I'm sure you could probably find a use for it if turns out not to be her thing....just sayin.. I gave Jewels a Taurus Slimline 9, for Arbor Day. Now, she grew up on a ranch and she is not shy about putting lead in the air, but she was never comfortable with "Cocked, Locked, Ready to Rock" and you could see her going through the checklist and hesitating. That's not a useful tool, unless she plans on throwing it at someone. Plus, it's got a ticklish trigger, and her discipline leaves something to be desired. I could see where it may not "end well" so I put her on a SW 32 snubnose, single action. Changed everything. Relaxed, controlled, confident and OMG is she sexy. I may need a moment to myself...OK, that's better. But seriously, the best gift I found for her was a beautiful CCA leather purse. I picked it up at Sturgis so, not cheap. But she LOVES it and carries it so totally worth it. She puts it over her left shoulder and has her right hand on the grip and you would never know, till it's too late. She's beautiful and nice and smells good, but she's got a mean streak too. I've been known to push things a little too far, so when I see her with that purse, in the house, I head for the barn.
On the plus side, that Slimline 9mm with a IWB holster is a much better fit than my .45 ACP since my pants started shrinking... something wrong with the dryer, I think. It won't put a bison down like the Colt, but it's still handy to have around.
Couple pics.
Been a long winter, gonna need a haircut soon. Check out the hottie on the '59 Hollywood...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 pm

flboy wrote:Tommy, what is it on sale for? My wife is now interested in learning to shoot. I wonder if I should be concerned. :-)

Yep. And take notice if your Gatoraide starts to taste like Prestone....just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Mcdave you kill me! :lol:

Love the purse set up. Very handy at short notice.

My wife has zero shooting skills but shooting anything is or was my thing at one time. A weapons platoon grunt. Plus grew up shooting so I will teach her if she wants to learn. But I must have patience and that is something I lack. Its not Parris Island right? Must go slow with her. Do it right.

Will update and show it off here of course. Give a review of how it all went.

Leaving work now to go it!
:beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions